Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
zahush76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oasys/K vs. Triton Extreme Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
zahush76 wrote:
synthguy wrote:
Organs, Mellotrons and vintage keys should be there by the boatload.

from the explanation of rich f on the several videos, it seems that on the mellotron "side of things" you get strings, choir and flutes. That seems maybe like the most famous sounds - but surely not worthy of the title "boatload".

Well, that's why I said:
synthguy wrote:
There are supposed to be a lot of Mellotron and vintage keyboard and synth patches, since many users are proggers like me.

I meant the term "boatload" in the sense that there are probably a ton of patches available in all those categories. Like I doubt that there are a "boatload" of Hohner Clavinet or Pianet patches, but a useful number should be there.

There's a reason that the strings, choir and flute are the usual Mellotron instruments available: the others are a bit lame. I can't remember the last time I heard Mellotron brass, though I know Tony Banks used it on Watcher of the Skies. Maybe Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard fame uses them, but I'm unaware of it, or say of anyone having ever used Mellotron sitar. Wink However, I'm sure that Nord isn't the only source for Mellotron sounds, since Michael Pinder has been pretty good about sharing his master tape library. Besides, you can usually fudge it without too much trouble using filtering, sample rate manipulation, grungifying effects and the like. In fact I have some nice "Mellotron" violins I use to this day which I programmed on my Ensoniq SD-1.

Just so that you can get a rough idea, i suggest you check out nord's demos of mellotron & chamberlin. You'll see that other than strings, flutes & choir - the other sounds are surprisingly good. You get lo-fi pianos, organs, vibraphone and a boatload ( Very Happy ) of other sounds.
I guess i can always re-sample them, though.
WorknMan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of electric pianos and pads, does the Oasys/Kronos have any equivalents the the 'Ballad Layer EP' combi from the Triton? The Motif XF doesn't ('Piano Back' comes close but no cigar) and neither did the M3.

I loooooooooved that patch... might have to score a Triton Rack just to get it back if there are no other good alternatives.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was kind of fun checking out those Mellotron and Chamberlin samples at Clavia. But, I will have to say that

- The Chamberlin sounds were so pristine, they didn't sound like tapes, but rather decent samples. Which made them sound a bit too much like... just more samples a bit less well done.

- The Mellotron sounds were definitely the grungy, mid-rangey vintage things I know and love. However, most of them other than strings, flutes and choir were kind of... yucky, and I can sure see why oddball bands like Radiohead and Flaming Lips would use them. I can also see why most real Mellotron owners don't wander much farther than the brass and pipe organ tapes, and I'd sure be hard pressed knowing what to do with anything else. And honestly, I'm unaware of any rompler or expansion soundsets which have anything other than strings, flutes and choir, and those companies that do offer Mellotron samples sell poorly, other than strings, flutes and choir.

But having rambled long enough on that, we don't really know what we'll get. Most likely the standard Mellotron offerings, but I know a few tricks to get normal samples to sound horrendously lo-fi and out of tune. Wink

Oh, and for those guys who suggest sampling stuff to put in the KRONOS, I know KORG has been very good about making sampling on their synths almost foolproof, but frankly, I think having the original keyboard around too would be a much better idea.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stand corrected, sorry!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
zahush76

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
But, I will have to say that

- The Chamberlin sounds were so pristine, they didn't sound like tapes, but rather decent samples. Which made them sound a bit too much like... just more samples a bit less well done.

I thought about this myself when i first heard them, and started a thread about the difference between mellotron and chamberlin about three weeks ago. It turns out there's a perfectly good reason for that. In short, if i may qoute svengle:
Quote:
The Chamberlin contained high-quality recordings of the players in the Lawrence Welk Orchestra taken via a Neumann U47 mic (if numerous reports on the web are to be believed), while the recordings for the Mellotron weren't as fastidiously done.

Th rest of this short discussion could be found here: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2279010/Searchpage/1/Main/158289/Words/mellotron/Search/true/Re_Difference_between_mellotro#Post2279010[/url]

About your second point:
Quote:
- The Mellotron sounds were definitely the grungy, mid-rangey vintage things I know and love. However, most of them other than strings, flutes and choir were kind of... yucky, and I can sure see why oddball bands like Radiohead and Flaming Lips would use them.

I love both radiohead and the flaming lips, so i guess the point isn't that these sounds are bad or something - just that they are not your cup of tea. But there certainly my cup of tea. It comes down to personal taste and musical prefrences.
Maybe, in your musical style - you have no use of sounds like these. I do.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penumbra wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
EXer wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
I like how KRONOS uses the SAME DAC's as the OASYS at half the price! So your not gonna miss a thing, sonically.

It's good to hear that Korg didn't cut the price on componants that contribute to the sound quality.

Could someone at Korg please confirm that no cost compromise has been made on the output stage (downstream from the DACs) between Oasys and Kronos?

Dan already confirmed it in an earlier thread, hence why I knew that to begin with.

Sina

Sina, let's do a favor for all of us. Shoot yourself in the head. Please.
The HD-1 it's the same, in the Kronos and in the Oasys, stupid retard. you're more useless than a pile of s**t.

You are WAY out of line with such a disgusting, low personal attack.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Penumbra wrote:
Sina, let's do a favor for all of us. Shoot yourself in the head. Please.
The HD-1 it's the same, in the Kronos and in the Oasys, stupid retard. you're more useless than a pile of s**t.

You are WAY out of line with such a disgusting, low personal attack.

+1.

Penumbra, anybody can watch your profile and re-read your all posts from there - they contain many similar attacks and personal offensive words. It makes no sense at all.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree - there's no need for abusive posts like that.

Actually Sina - meant to reply a day or two ago - thanks most sincerely for the very clear and comprehensive post outlining the new features of Kronos and HD-1 in particular. Very informative (I'd read many of them in January/Feb but forgotton a lot of them - you're right - there are some clear development w.r.t HD-1 for sure). But I also like your comparison of Kronos/Oasys - that sums it up quite well.

Cheers, Kevin.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zahush76 wrote:
they are not your cup of tea. But there certainly my cup of tea. It comes down to personal taste and musical prefrences. Maybe, in your musical style - you have no use of sounds like these. I do.

Well, then even if these samples won't be in any of the vintage instrument banks, it should be fairly easy to make your own. Just be sloppy and inconsistent with your sampling. Abuse them with cheap mikes and electronics, misuse EQing and effects, sample slightly out of tune. Grab the Nord samples and make something of them, if they're wav files. I'm sure with the KRONOS, we can all win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: