Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating samples before KRONOS arrives...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmexio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Creating samples before KRONOS arrives... Reply with quote

Hi all!

I think I asked the same question before getting my M3... But because I've been sick the whole time, I never got around to do what I wanted to, so I ask again, now focusing on KRONOS Very Happy

I plan on making an instrument with a bunch of samples from an accoustic source that I've collected.

My question is simple... Well, it never is around here Laughing

How would you go about building samples for KRONOS without the actual KRONOS?

I think I thought about creating a SoundFont and then importing that, with the added benefit of SF2 being pretty common and easily transferable to different engines... But I thought I might ask again. At the very least, I can write down loop points, process my samples a bit, and do a number of things to have it pretty much sorted out when I buy the new keyboard, but I'm thinking there might be a better option than sitting on a bunch of notes and scraps of paper for some months Very Happy

Any pointers/sugestions? PC software suited for creating SF2's is warmly welcome if that's the path to follow...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best course of action would be to get all your individual .wav files edited. When the keyboard arrives then you can map them over the keyboard keys to create an actual Program.

Alternatively you could create Sound Font instruments then import them.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, tell us what equiptment you currently have, then someone can help you with the information you provided, it's very easy to build sample libraries nowadays without actually owning any instruments, just a computer but you have an m3, and all samples are transferable.
jmexio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
first, tell us what equiptment you currently have, then someone can help you with the information you provided, it's very easy to build sample libraries nowadays without actually owning any instruments, just a computer but you have an m3, and all samples are transferable.

Hey, thanks for taking the time Smile

I have a nice laptop with a very nice pair of headphones in front of me (Shure SRH840). I am in the process of moving, so my M3 is not here with me (I do have a microstation, tho... awesome little fellow). That means, in practical terms, that I'll be working on a PC, have good audio, some keys, but will be able to check only sporadically if everything works on my M3 i.e. maybe every other week... at the most. It will be that way until I decide to sell the M3 (have a big gig in a month, still undecided) and a new Kronos enters my life Smile

So PC software it is... I have an audio editor so basic croping, normalizing/volume matching is already doable. I'm guessing I need something to help me with my loop points and in building the actual SF2. I probably need to read a bit more to explore some issues, like if crossfading loops are doable in a Soundfont, as I think they are in Kronos, or what somewhat advanced features I can exploit to have a good basic start. It is also my first experience in the sampling realm, so I may not be aware of something else that I need to consider... I think that that is about all the preparation the samples need, and then it will be just a matter of assigning proper loops and keys (easier said than done, I know, especially when dealing with accoustic instruments...). Good news is I don't need to optimize for 4 or 5 mb for the whole thing, as my M3 has the memory expansion and Kronos seems to have over 250 mb free by default.

Of course final parameter routing and FX will be done when the time comes, and I'm not in a hurry for finalizing the instrument either, just want to get started... Very Happy

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
kineticsoundprism

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundfonts are probably the best bet if the Kronos imports them well ( which i am waiting to try out myself ) .

Does Kronos import stereo soundfonts though ? does it translate envelope data and stuff from the soundfont.

I guess it does but the best option is probably to test file first rather than doing loads and then finding out theres an issue with sample import .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: