Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos va vs v synth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusdtray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: kronos va vs v synth Reply with quote

Hello, I really enjoy the thickness of the basic , saw,sync sounds , just from the basic square, sine, saw osc's in my v synth, but not much else

can the koronos va replace it? can it get the same body, and do a sync that cuts through?

Thanks
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it can, but I feel (imho) you're missing the point of the V-Synth: the variphrase etc and sheer mammoth capabilities of this synth.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ozy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos va vs v synth Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
They can kiss my a** until they get their sh*t together, cause I am BEYOND fed up with their crap!

... said Prince Charming.

And SnowWhite retorted:

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Kronos can never EVER replace the VA synth, not cuz its better but
in your opinion, is Roasted Chicken better then Cake or the other way around?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on your priorities:

V-Synth has some really interesting sound shaping technology for wav material on board. As pure VA, it does not impress me a bit: I just happen NOT to like it's basic sound, which is rather of the digital than of the analog or even virtual analog kind to me.

But tastes are different, and who wants to go for it, will just do.

I would even prefer an old, fully working Polysix to a V-Synth GT, but the reason for that is purely personal sound taste, not functionality (where the V-Synth is several stages more advanced).

And as far as classical subtractive synthesis goes, I also prefer the sound of the three VAs on board of the Kronos by far over any V-Synth.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V Synths are the most interesting synth series to grace the MI market for a long time,I use both a GT and XT to great extent,I've got to know and understand the machine very well over the years and being a hybrid machine is brilliant if you like delving into the programming side rather than utilise the stock sounds.The sampling side is just nuts and I like the way you can totalLy initalise the whole project so you can make the machine your very own sound source from scratch,it opens a new world of creativity,kind of like the days of synths when they had no presets and you had to be creative

I have to agree that the VA engine,although usable sounds less convincing than even the JP8080/8000 which it has derived from and sounds far less analogish even if it was emulating it sounds more plastic than the jp series.Roland have given the VA more options and waveform choices and its possible to replicate sounds to a degree but i just don't dig the sound when trying to emulate Analog type classic sounds and it less warm than some of the sounds I got out of the JPs

I do wish Roland had of continued the additional card series in the GT,its why i bought an XT too,as i was a massive user of the D50 for many years and still use the patches now and programmed a lot of new patches for it,and having a better interface to prgoram on the Xt makes things pure heaven,and that fact it loads the D50 sounds without a hitch is brilliant,just wish they would have made a JD990/800 emulation in their as well,I've since sold the 2 D50s i owned and now use the XT and it also runs in the old D50 type sound quality as well as the more upto date digital sound,so great for creating LoFI LA synth patches,one of the reasons i ditched the original D50s was the outputs were noisy,don't have that issues with the XT,for me Roland don't make many great synths but when they do they seem to be true gems,to me the V synth is one of those Machines will be in that group of classics one day.

As for competing with The Kronos....Different beasts the Kronos has more to offer so whilst irrelavant don't think you can compare them in terms of specs,never really liked the AL engine in the Oasys and it always felt less like an analog engine than any other va machine I have,but for me trying to make a rompler sound convincing in terms of an analog experience never seemed to feel right no matter how great at programming you are

IMO its as much as the sensuality of connecting with the machines interface as it is programming it to sound convincing,certainly in my case,never got the same vibe programming the VA on the V synth or Oasys like using a dedicated VA machine like the nord lead or any other dedicated VA device that was made to emulate the experience of an analog interface as much as sounding like onen never connected the same way with the Oasys/v synth rompler interface
kineticsoundprism

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos va vs v synth Reply with quote

I am not sure any synth can replace any other fully , they just have such different sound qualities and occupy often very different spaces in a mix.

The vsynths trick is the variphrase side really and what it can do to user samples but it does also excel at basses and lots of other stuff to my ears and its a superb hybrid analgue with a character i have not found in any other synth.

Korg and Roland to my ears have very different sonic qualities and really i feel its a wise move to have both if your after a fuller sound and a wider pallette.

can the koronos va replace it? can it get the same body, and do a sync that cuts through?
Thanks[/quote]

Vsynth patches and Exotic impulse responses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: