Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French prensentation of the Korg Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mailman71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt the guy in these videos on The Muppet Show-maybe the chef?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried sitting through these videos and I just couldn't. It was painful.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
zahush76

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Why don't you check out the OASYS for your CX-3 questions ? Aren't they the same ?

Yes, they are the same - but almost no oasys demos of its cx-3 engine. I checked the oasys product page, under "features". I found the demos of the al-1, mod-7,str-1, hd-1 - but no cx-3 demos.
On youtube there's one, low quality demo that lasts about one minute and 10 seconds. .

The other synth engines are also on the oasys - yet they demo them properly on the kronos demos.

About the keybed being the problem - most of the kronos demos till now were made with the 61 key version, so i see no reason why not to demo the cx-3 properly.

I'm changing my nord stage for this. My nord stage also functioned as my clonewheel. Maybe YOU'RE not interested in how the b3 emulations sounds like - but a lot of OTHERS do.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple decent KRONOS demos featuring the CX-3. What are you looking for? An explenation of the CX-3 engine or just the sounds or...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
zahush76

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
There are a couple decent KRONOS demos featuring the CX-3. What are you looking for? An explenation of the CX-3 engine or just the sounds or...

There aren't too much demos. In this french demo, he plays the cx-3 engine for less than a minute on a demo that lasts more than an hour (!).
On the japanease "9 engines" demo on youtube it's pretty much the same. Sane goes for rich f's demo on novamusik, kraft musik, namm etc.

If on all demos they took the time to show what the piano sounds like with the lid open or closed, how it sounds when they change damper noise and so on - i would expect to hear some examples of cx-3 overdrive, what does this mic positioning sounds like with different settings. And another thing: i understood that like the pianos and ep's, the cx-3 presets were also made in collaboration with some artists, making signature b3 presets. If they demo the rhodes herbie butterfly preset, or a george duke preset - let's hear what the cx-3 has to offer.
Instead - they just demo the same sound, with the rotary going from slow to fast.

For someone trying to decide between the c-2 engine on the nord stage - or the cx-3 engine on the kronos - this is important.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's important for you and if you have to make a decision between two instruments, I believe the best thing to do would be to play these instruments yourself once the Kronos has been shipped to the music stores, wouldn't it?

As far as I'm concerned, I cannot make a judgment from the low quality sound of an internet video...
zahush76

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, I cannot make a judgment from the low quality sound of an internet video...

Well, there have been enough HD video demos, and some wav ones. You can always claim that even when testing the instrument hands on - the soiund quality depends on the quality of monitors available in the store, or the headphones. It seems lots of people went and pre-ordered the kronos without trying it. Just by judging demos on youtibe or on the website.

It puzzles me why people use this argumentation of not judging a sound purely by listening to video demos - yet the same video demos were enough to convince people the acoustic pianos and the ep's are fantastic.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider people are free to do what they want as long as they don't do harm to other people.

Nevertheless, I'm entitled to the opinion that it's silly to buy an expensive musical instrument (or even a cheap one) without even heaving heard it in reality.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@zahush76
+1

Experienced musicians know how to evaluate different sound qualities and are able to judge medium or even some low quality examples to a certain degree (!) concerning the principal sound character of something. I would not buy anything based on that, but it allows me a first evaluation anyway.

And in all the samples I heard so far, the CX3 sounds not bad, but a bit mediocre to me, not only compared to a real B3/C3/A100, but also compared to both the actual Clavia and Hammond emulations of the same instrument, which sound more authentic to me, and well known software clones (NIB4, VB3). The fact that skilled keyboarders play nice stuff on CX3s or CX3 modules (Oasys, Kronos) doesn't change that basic sound impression for me.

I will wait to check it when I can play it, because all judgements so far, while not ungrounded, are still of limited value. I doubt though, that other presets or user presets will change the basic sound character impression radically. In one word: I think a CX3 engine overhaul within the next two or three years would not be a bad idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: