Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touchscreen behavior

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brimoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Touchscreen behavior Reply with quote

I believe the touchscreen on the Kronos is single touch (NOT multi-touch)??? Yes, thats a weird way of posing a question Smile

The reason I ask is that on my Korg Z1 the XY pad would react differently when you touched it with two fingers...I'm not sure if it just interpolated between the two fingers, but it definitely responded differently when touched with two fingers rather than one. It was more apparent when the two fingers touched on opposite sides of the pad. The manual never said it was a multi-touch pad, but it seemed to respond as one.

Since the touchscreen is also a control surface on the Kronos, I wonder if two fingers would send a different control signal than one finger.

I hope this politically charged issue doesn't send the forum spinning off into C.H.A.O.S.

Razz
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it's single touch. And - it's not a control surface. It's a selection surface - you can select features but you cannot adjust values. The one caveat on this is that it may eventually provide Kaoss control - Korg updated the M3 screen to offer that so it might well appear on the Kronos (but never appeared on the OASYS). Don't get ahead of yourself - it's not an iPad touchscreen.
brimoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooohhhhh...I am confused! Thanks for straightening me out. I thought it's touch screen could also be used as an XY control surface OOTB. Well I guess I'll have to wait for the update - as well as for the keyboard itself Razz

Where's that manual???!!!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M3 screen can be switched to be an XY controller. You then have to switch XY mode off to be able to navigate, when it returns to single touch.

Don't know about the Kronos though. My guess (repeat guess!) is that as it's related to the OASYS the Kronos will not have XY capability.
brimoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a lucid moment! I think I remember someone say that the additional XY joystick is kind of the replacement for the XY pad...does that ring anyone's bell?

Probably similar to what the (GASP!!!) OASYS has.

As a side note, my synth related Kronos-waiting activity is replacing the rotary encoders on my Novation Nova and then driving it's vocoder with the crazy beats I make on my Wavedrum! God...I do love making electronic sounds!

Last edited by brimoore on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OASYS has the vector joystick in addition to the conventional one.

The vector joystick can have pretty much any parameters programmed to it and you can transition between them using the stick.

I'd say, having had the the M3 and have the O, that the XY screen works differently to the vector stick, but you could get close to similar results I think Smile
RichF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The display only responds to a single touch, ans has been mentioned already, it doesn't function as an X/Y control like the Vector Joystick. The only place you can really "drag" is anywhere you see a scroll bar (category search, built-in help, etc).

Just for the sake of discussion, if you touch two points on the display, it will approximate a position between the two. I'm not sure why this would be useful on a scroll bar, but it works. Smile

-Rich
brimoore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich - I find that interesting the the single touch screen of the Kronos, and Z1 XY pad respond similarly when touched with two fingers. I just tried that on the Filtatron iPhone app - nope. It definitely picks just one of the fingers on it's pad.

Duo-touch screens...what will they think of next - multi-touch screens???? As if....
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brimoore wrote:
I find that interesting the the single touch screen of the Kronos, and Z1 XY pad respond similarly when touched with two fingers. I just tried that on the Filtatron iPhone app - nope. It definitely picks just one of the fingers on it's pad.

Duo-touch screens...what will they think of next - multi-touch screens???? As if....

Actually it is just a side effect of the way resistive touch screens work. They are very simple like just having two potentiometers (like knobs, sliders, or ribbons).

The device itself does not 'know' that you have two fingers down, as far as it is concerned it is just as if you have one finger down between the two that you actually have. In fact theoretically you could put three or four down, but this reduces the responsiveness of the pad.
The same applies to (some) laptop touch pads, the KAOSS series, etc.

The iPhone does not react like this because it specifically does have a multitouch capacitive panel, and so can distinguish between different fingers.
I don't know precisely how multitouch works though. Presumably through some kind of PFM/Trickery Confused

interestingly, my Blackberry Storm II is a capacitive 'multi'-touch screen (capable of recognising two touch points, so I suppose 'duo'-touch if you like), but it often gets confused when you move two fingers together.
Capacitive touchscreens like the Storm, iPad, etc are much more responsive, only requiring the lightest of touches. Also as far as I am aware there are no resistive multi-touch surfaces.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
brimoore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the break down X-Trade - I forgot about the different types of touch screens. I kind of get ribbon controllers, but throw in a second dimension and WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! My brain no work good!
T7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Also as far as I am aware there are no resistive multi-touch surfaces.

The resistive multi-touch screen of the now discontinued Jazzmutant Lemur has unlimited touch points, FYI.

http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_innovation.php

Having had one for a short while, I can confirm it was very responsive as long as you applied constant pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: