Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos midi implementation compared to kurzweil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: kronos midi implementation compared to kurzweil Reply with quote

the other night at a gig four keys on my k2661 stopped working, so I switched the midi master duties to my m3, and it was nothing but a big headache, something as simple as being able to change midi channels from the main page on the k2661 is such a blessing, the m3 doesn't have that feature, even being able to change octaves from every program on the kurz is a great and welcome feature, will the kronos have these features?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I want to say, no one of my Korg ever let me down during a gig, especially not 4 keys stopped working. However, I have with one synth sometimes that one key velocity is not working correctly, due to dust inside (it was in a not too clean rehearsal room for years without any cover/cloth on top).

Changing MIDI channel can be done on the global page on any Korg synth, normally pressing Global, Menu, MIDI tab and select the channel.

For changing octaves sometimes switch1 is used but you can program it per program/combi. Disadvantage: it's not a dedicated key (so it is always the same key), advantage: it's not a dedicated key (so you can you use for anything).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, Kurzweil still has better master MIDI controller functionality than possibly any other keyboard. Setups are mighty and powerful, and there's simply no substitute for them. Perhaps the VAX77 comes close, but it comes at a price tag as well.

Changing MIDI channel by going through Global mode is convoluted, Kurzweil has dedicated front panel buttons for that. I love that feature, too.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the manual to answer a lot of questions as well.

The other night, my PC3 went out - really bad - rebooting every few seconds-minutes. As a result I had to rent a couple of keyboards to cover for the next gig.

I still say Kurzweil has the best polyphony algorithm and I eagerly await the Kronos - hoping it will have a great dynamic voice algorithm.

The PC3 has a potential problem with the transformer - it's not potential to me, but possibly to others that travel. In any case, I hope the Kronos will be road-worthy.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's the problem, I don't want to have to go to the global page, this is a live situation and I have no idea what song the leader of the band will call next, he likes to flo from one song to the next, right on the beat if possible, so going to the global page is out of the question. here's my setup for gigs.

I'm pushing 50, so I like my rig as simple as possible, i use a k2661 on top as the master board, and the m3 on the botton as the slave. the kurzweil is set to channel 1, and the m3 to 16, it could be 2, each channel is one button push away, i use one sustain pedal, and one midi cable, so when i use the m3, i switch the kurzweil to 16, and i'm able to control the m3. the feature is hardwired to the main screen, regarless of the program, or setup(I know," multi" in korg speak} your using, also +/- octave is also hardwired into the main screen, regardless of patch, which comes in very handy for a 61.

I don't know about you, but all the programming is done before the gig. these little simple things IMHO, make kurzweil boards the best live performance boards around.

being able to scroll through the midi channels from the main page makes live playing so much easier.
Like i said ,I don't know what we'll be playing, we don't use set lists, so i need to be ready for any song.

maybe korg can add to kronos, if it doesn't have it already, it's a very nice feature to have.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey evildragon,

I know what you mean my kurz brother.
keego

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat Kurzweil for Midi implementation the only thing that comes close is my Roland A90.

On Korg machines the only way to do it without using Global is to make dedicated Combis and scroll through them throughout your gig.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is indeed as stated above. I have 2 synths (both Korg). Every song in my gig is one combination and I have ordered them in the correct order (with some white spaces in between to easy rearrange it between gigs where we normally change a few things here and there).

I always keep both synths at the same MIDI channel (1 and 2) so I never have to change that. With my Sound is only coming from one synth, the other is not more than a slave key'bed'. This way I only have to take one synth home in case I program a new song.

I use a Behringer foot pedal board where I can change almost anything (10 knobs and 2 pedals).

If we have a shorter gig where we only play 1 set of songs, I don't reorder everything, but print out a list and write the combi numbers in front of it. I don't know if this would be a solution? You would have to look it up fast and type the number. Or you could use the page where you can see a lot of combis at the same time. On the Kronos I believe 32 will be arranged in a set list; if you have them in alphabetic order you probably can find it back very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Changing MIDI channel by going through Global mode is convoluted, Kurzweil has dedicated front panel buttons for that. I love that feature, too.

If you are using M3 just as a controller, you can do this easily in Combi and Song mode. Just keep the track setting screen up, and select the channel number, then just enter the number on numeric pad then press enter.

Fantom-G has dedicated channel on/off pads and part select pads.
Motif has dedicated track select buttons.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't wait and jumped at the chance to get a Kurzweil PC3 while Sweetwater still had them going for the sale price. I really do want those 9 synth engines under one hood, but I also need to do a lot of studio buying and speaker building this year, and The K would have gobbled up $2000 more dollars. Besides, the PC3 is a superb instrument, and those controller functions are really cool. Partnered with the M3, as well as my other choice toys, it covers a lot of what The K offers, so I won't exactly be suffering. Wink

I am hoping that I can keep a lid on my budget this year, and can wedgie in a KRONOS down the road.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my kurz is working fine now, and will resume midi master keyboard duties
at my next gig on friday, and the m3 back to being a slave board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: