Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum synth abilities?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Drum synth abilities? Reply with quote

Can the Kronos do drums synth stuff like the wave drum does with it algorithms or is it all loops? I am a little fuzzy on this point. Thanks!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know too whether we can use for example AL1, MOD7, or other voices to make drum kits rather than just HD1.

I don't think you'll find something exactly like the WaveDrum because a lot of the time that uses input from its microphones to model or in other ways control drum sounds in a 'live' way. That means it is based on live input - which is why it doesn't have MIDI.

At least on KRONOS and OASYS if drums are HD1 only, we can sample from AL1, MOD7, STR1, etc.

Remember in sequencer mode you have audio tracks too, so you can always sample your wavedrum!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true thanks!
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that the "synth" engines (at least a couple of them) would be readily capable of generating old skool (303-909) synth based drum sounds from scratch (no pun intended) provided they had a sine wave and a bit of noise as wave forms, given that that's all the older DM's had in the way of sound sources.

I know I've seen "how to" articles in the past for building emulations.

After that, it's just a matter of logistics to get them into a kit - tho' it would be MUCH simpler and probably more doable to have those drums played by an arp or as part (midi range assigned) of a sequenced pattern.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I see a new electronic Drum kit or similar, I tend to look for sound programing, VA elements that gives me the opportunity to make Simmons Electronic drums sounds from the 80s. I would love to have an engine like that in the Kronos!

Still, there are no recreations. Everytime it is the same old Rompler drum stuff, with new fancy surface. bleh.
RichF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the engines except SGX-1, EP-1, and CX-3 are capable of creating percussive sounds, using either sampling, VPM synthsis, analog modeling, or physical modeling.

If you're looking to recreate vintage analog sounds, I'd say you'll get the most flexibility out of AL-1, but both the PolysixEX and MS-20EX will give you different flavors as well.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks Rich!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: