Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Processing Power Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
felsineus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Processing Power Question Reply with quote

HI. Waiting for the God of Time, I gave a look to his old brother manual.
So:
a = 1CX3 = 4 STR1 = 4 P6 = 12 MS20 = 24 MOD7

4a= max processing power in combi & songs

If it's correct, it's the same in Kronos?
And what's the value of new SGX1 and EP1?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you arrived at these figures.

Also KRONOS' polyphony has been 'tweaked' for some instruments, so it is not the same. Probably to do with the newer processor features etc.

Anyway, your figures look upside down to me. Processing power really is measured in polyphony. Maybe you're a genius and I'm wrong, but at least I don't really understand from what perspective those numbers are.

Looking at your numbers, I'd assume either:
-I can have up to four notes polyphony from CX3, taking up the whole processing power
-or I can have up to four CX3s (of what polyphony?)
neither of these are correct.

Also, you missed out AL1 and HD1.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
felsineus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I’m not talking about polyphony.
The question is the max number of EXi you can use in a Combi or in a Song.

For example, at page 217 of Oasys Param. Guide you can read: “The CX‐3 uses EXi fixed resources ... These use up a small amount of processing power, even if you’re not playing any notes. Because of this, you can use only four CX3s simultaneously in a Combination or Song.”

Seems that HD-1 is out of this question. AL-1, well, I don’t know.
I think will be useful to learn something about SGX-1 and EP-1.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Kronos utilizes a dualcore CPU with hyperthreading, it manages resources better than OASYS did, and has more power to spare. On OASYS, having lots of CPU demanding effects (Overb) drained your polyphony. On Kronos, that is not the case, you'd need 14 Overbs till your polyphony starts shooting down.

So I think you can use any number of instances of whatever EXi you want on kronos.
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max. number of EXi's you can use in a Song or Combi is 16 -- the limit of the number of Timbres -- times two (i.e., if every one of those EXi's was a "double" program). But even if they were all sounding at once, the polyphony count is still pretty much impossible to calculate. Every single song you or anyone else writes is going to be completely different, not only in the selection of EXi's, but also in the number of notes played at any one time on any one timbre.

That said, Dan Phillips has posted polyphony figures on the forum. Might want to do a search for them.
felsineus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll try to better explain, to avoid any doubt.

In Oasys’s manual I read that some EXi include fixed components: for instance, the CX-3 does, and the AL-1 (now I see it) does not. It’s said that CX‐3, STR‐1, Polysix have limitations on EXi fixed resources, and so MS-20 and MOD-7 (but in very little measure). So when you load an EXi which uses fixed resources, the fixed elements start using processing power immediately. This means that, as with effects, you can only load a certain number of them into a single Combination or Song and when this limit is reached, the system won’t let you load any more EXi with fixed elements. You’ll still be able to add effects, and load other HD‐1 (which is completely dinamic) and other EXi Programs.

In Kronos there’s such limitation? And if the answer is yes, SGX-1 and EP-1 have limitations on EXi fixed resources? But from your replies I have to think that the answer is no, and fixed components have no more importance in Kronos’s new resources management.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos uses fixed resources too, the same way as on OASYS, and EP-1 has its own fixed resources drain too. But overall you have more CPU power than in OASYS so that shouldn't be a concern.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info from the KRONOS manual:

EXi with fixed resources

The HD‐1 and AL‐1 are completely dynamic. All other EXi use some amount of fixed resources.

The CX‐3 uses the most, incorporating substantial fixed elements–such as the built‐in rotary speaker, amp, and vibrato chorus–along with dynamically allocated individual voices. The fixed elements take up a reasonable amount of processing power, while each additional voice uses only a small amount more.

The EP‐1 also uses a moderate amount of processing power for its amp and effects. The remaining EXi all use a much smaller amount of fixed resources, for features such as built‐in effects or audio inputs.

Performance Meters

The Performance Meter page gives an overview of the system resource usage, including the current amount of EXi fixed resources.

Limits on usage of fixed resources

When you load an EXi which uses fixed resources, the fixed elements start using processing power immediately. To leave room for dynamic voices, the KRONOS limits EXi fixed resources to a maximum of 50% of the voice processing power. Individual Programs can’t exceed this amount, but it’s possible to hit the limit when using many CX‐3 or EP‐1 Programs in a Combination or Song.

For instance, you can use up to eight CX‐3s simultaneously, or eighteen EP‐1s, or a combination of the two (e.g., four CX‐3s and nine EP‐1s). The other EXi have no practical limitation by themselves, but if you’re using a lot of CX‐3 or EP‐1 Programs you may run into situations in which the less‐resource‐intensive EXi would push the resource usage over the top.

Each EXi in each Program counts towards the maximum. For instance, a Program which uses two CX‐3s counts as two, not as one.

Note that depending on the specific combination of EXi in use, you may not be able to fit in more EXi Programs (especially those using the CX‐3 or EP‐1) even if the Performance Meter page shows EXi fixed resources at somewhat below 50%.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: