Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some more info around Musikmesse Frankfurt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Some more info around Musikmesse Frankfurt Reply with quote

After my disappointment about missing public Korg statements concerning price and delivery in Europe, I gathered at least some inofficial (mind that!) news from around Musikmesse.

The two most important are:

- it seems that first Kronos units will arrive in Germany around end of June/beginning of July. Production deleays seem not no arise from direct effects of the earthquake(s), because the Korg factory is outside the most critical zone in the north, but sometimes energy is only available part of a day, so that slows down production.

- at Musikmesse the OS has reached a stable 1.xx, while still during the Netherlands show some weeks ago, OS was at 0.9xx. At the same time it seems that 4 Gb RAM will be supported. I don't know if that will happen with the present OS version or with an update in the following months, but at least it seems to happen and we are not limited by 2 Gb and too little sampling space. With the additional RAM and open access to Akai and soundfont formats, the Kronos is definitely the No.1 all around solution, FAR ahead of all present competition.

This - with all due caution - both sounds like good news to me.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news regarding the 4gb RAM..this will be awesome. Hopefully the information about 4gbs is correct and will happen eventually.

I dont mind about the wait. When i order the oasys in Feb 2005, it didnt arrive in Austrlaia till August. I am happy to wait for my Kronos.

Last saturday I jammed on the Oasys for 5 hours straight drinking cups of tea...performing on this thing live is endless, i went from jazz improvs to metal improvs, to classical pieces, to piano solos, to avante garde, to orchestral improvs, to hip hop, to techno/trance, to ambient, to church organ/bach...i was on a roll - i should have videod it all Sad

And now with Streamless combi changes in Kronos i can work like a DJ lol, go from one track to the next with no interuptions Smile

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Some more info around Musikmesse Frankfurt Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
At the same time it seems that 4 Gb RAM will be supported...With the additional RAM and open access to Akai and soundfont formats, the Kronos is definitely the No.1 all around solution, FAR ahead of all present competition.

That's good news indeed.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Some more info around Musikmesse Frankfurt Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
- at Musikmesse the OS has reached a stable 1.xx, while still during the Netherlands show some weeks ago, OS was at 0.9xx. At the same time it seems that 4 Gb RAM will be supported. I don't know if that will happen with the present OS version or with an update in the following months, but at least it seems to happen and we are not limited by 2 Gb and too little sampling space. With the additional RAM and open access to Akai and soundfont formats, the Kronos is definitely the No.1 all around solution, FAR ahead of all present competition.

This is ABSOLUTELY GREAT news! Cool
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention:

I also got hints that third party support - beyond the great work of Karo - seems to be in sight for the Kronos as well.

When I stumbled on a Kid-Nepro message in another thread now, that reminded me of the hint.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That extra 2GB user ram should bode well for third party support. Just imagine if Omnisphere was available as an option... Very Happy
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I can't imagine Omnisphere in Soundfont 2 format Laughing

But else the sample option becomes immediately great with 4 Gb available (2 Gb additional RAM bought by users).

Meanwhile I'm also confident that the sequencer will be developed further with OS updates. We tend to see the Kornos as a fixed package, and it is certainly better not to have unrealistic development expectations. But I bet, that Korg will use the available update options of such a flexible sytem, to keep it up, and care about some functionality, as far as it is not too hard to do, or outside of the specs of the sytem overhead.

Such updates can make an already fine system extremely popular, as I experienced with the Access TI and it's user reputation.
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
F
Meanwhile I'm also confident that the sequencer will be developed further with OS updates. We tend to see the Kornos as a fixed package, and it is certainly better not to have unrealistic development expectations. But I bet, that Korg will use the available update options of such a flexible sytem, to keep it up, and care about some functionality, as far as it is not too hard to do, or outside of the specs of the sytem overhead.

Wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I think you should assume that the sequencer is pretty much set in stone.The system is not really designed for an overhaul and if it were Korg should have implemented it while developing the Kronos. If they do release an update for the sequencer then I will be happily surprised.

The extra RAM is nice though, i think it needed that as an option for updating due to the nature of its memory allocation.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
depulse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the low cost of RAM, why doesn't Korg put 4 GB on all Kronos?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some more info around Musikmesse Frankfurt Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
After my disappointment about missing public Korg statements concerning price and delivery in Europe, I gathered at least some inofficial (mind that!) news from around Musikmesse.

The two most important are:

- it seems that first Kronos units will arrive in Germany around end of June/beginning of July. Production deleays seem not no arise from direct effects of the earthquake(s), because the Korg factory is outside the most critical zone in the north, but sometimes energy is only available part of a day, so that slows down production.

"At the same time it seems that 4 Gb RAM will be supported."

how did you arrive at this conclusion ?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my first post: inofficial infos from around Musikmesse.
So no official confirmation, but though I can't be sure, I regard my sources as relatively reliable.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Look at my first post: inofficial infos from around Musikmesse.
So no official confirmation, but though I can't be sure, I regard my sources as relatively reliable.

it looks ambiguous to me. You refer to more robust OS updates which is encouraging.

Its not clear enough to draw a 4 gig update conclusion from significant
OS upgrades.
Devnor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just more speculation based on unofficial infomation. It stands to reason any major upgrades to Kronos OS if any will be announced here by either Rich or Dan.
Lando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great news if it's true!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: