Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9 engines, but 5 types of synthesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimiJones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon;

Thats understandable, however just because its "Synthetic" doesn't mean it has to sound synthetic, thats the whole point in their method, they wanted it to be really flexible, without sounding synthetic, however it is synthetic in nature, and furthermore when you use some form of synthesis, and your result produces something that doesn't sound synthetic, and doesn't react synthetically, then you've done a great job in synthesizing, maybe someday we will see other instruments synthesized this way, and have them sound virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, thats one reason why I brought up the saxophone, its probably the most dynamic natural instrument we have, and so far other than samples, I haven't heard anything that sounds like the real thing, maybe Korg's "Analysis/Resynthesis" method may just be the trick.

Jimi Jones
Harris The Epic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: new guy chiming in... Reply with quote

I can see where EvilDragon is coming from; it seems like he's saying "Even though they're different VA's, they're all VA's no less." That is true, and I guess it can be looked at that way.
But the way I see it, whether or not they're all VA's, the sources for the sounds are different places. The MS20 engine isn't generating the Polysix sounds. They're coming from separately programed engines, no?
Just like you don't have the SPX sounds generated by the HD-1.

That makes sense, right? And I'm not just repeating what everyone else is saying, am I? Very Happy
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, all of this stuff is synthetic. It's all made to create an illusion. With gear like the Kronos or any electronic music device for that matter, a manufacturer/developer tries to create the most convincing (or interesting) illusion possible.

I don't see the point in being purist about any of this stuff. Whatever works works, and whatever sounds good sounds good. Doesn't really matter if the illusion is created on an Atom processor (whatever that is) or if it's created using resynthesis or piling sine waves on top of one another.

FWIW...
JimiJones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Schwartz;

Well said..!

Because frankly its all about making music period, choose your poison, give me a pot and pan and I'll give you a beat..!

Jimi Jones
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 pages to get to this point! WOW! Laughing
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
I don't see the point in being purist about any of this stuff. Whatever works works, and whatever sounds good sounds good. Doesn't really matter if the illusion is created on an Atom processor (whatever that is) or if it's created using resynthesis or piling sine waves on top of one another.

Totally agree - spot-on analysis!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: