Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye bye KRONOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sharp"]
Quote:
The clarity of HD-1 is so bloody obvious that it's hard to even contemplate moving away from a OASYS or a KRONOS.

I think your making a very big mistake.

Regards
Sharp

You are spot on, I'm not selling my Oasys. HD1 sample set does not sound as good as XF acc samples to my ears and to be honest, KARO helped it survive. However it comes with a significant cost overhead, which is well worth the money spent. Add that cost on top of the cost of Kronos and it goes way out of proportion.
Unicorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:

Greg trolls the forum hard to bash opinions

+1
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
JimH wrote:
Korg has an advantage over software plug-ins. You cannot get an AL-1, MOD7, or STR-1 that runs on a computer. You have to buy the keyboard to get the software. No pirating. (So the Kronos is kind of like a big dongle in a way.)

And you can't run Omnisphere on Kronos, or any other plug-in for that matter. So Kronos wins?

That's a big dongle indeed... a boondongle Laughing

I don't see how you can say that. I don't consider these insignificant synth engines, any more than I do Omnisphere. MOD-7: a DX-7 engine, turned modular synth, with the ability to use any waveform in an operator, including instrument multisamples? I know many think FM synthesis is meh, but it's more expressive than analog subtractive, and offers timbrel manipulation that can only be surpassed by physical modeling. And a true physical modeling synthesizer that can play more than two notes right now doesn't exist on the market.

I don't see how you can shrug at AL-1, a modular synth with great sounding filters and insane numbers of modules available, with 80 some odd note polyphony. Or the other analog modeling engines. Or wave sequencing.

If all you want is sample playback technology, then yes, a Motif will serve you well. The rest of us are ready for something extra, even a Jupiter-80.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just an attempt at a pun - they rarely fly at the best of times.

No doubt Kronos is a formidable instrument, and what's under the hood will likely keep owners happily busy for years to come.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Wink By the way...

synthguy wrote:
And a true physical modeling synthesizer that can play more than two notes right now doesn't exist on the market.

I wrote that this morning before trudging off to work after VERY little sleep, and I boffed that part pretty badly. I was thinking of Yamaha's superb VL-1, and completely forgot about worthwhile efforts from KORG and Nord both.

The Nord Modular G2 offered a physical modeling module, I think a plucked string model of their own, which did a great job on things like acoustic guitar.

And then of course is KORG's own STR-1 and the physical modeling engine in the Z1 and MOSS board.
videorov

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Now here is a Synth machine Reply with quote

Arturia Origin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvK32UotiwQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

This guy has a few systems.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love my Origin, and it's my go-to synth these days for my prominent synth sounds. The polyphony can be limited in big patches, but with most sounds you can squeeze out 16 notes or more.

If you are getting a KRONOS, something like an Origin - heck, any other synth - is pretty much redundant. But it depends on what you want to do. With AL-1, MS-20, PolySix, MOD-7, even STR-1 and HD-1, you pretty much have every category of synth sound covered. But if you have or want something else, a real analog is an obvious factor, KRONOS won't kill the usefulness of something like that. In fact, most major instruments would be a great addition to the KRONOS.

In my case, the Origin gives me a very good stand-in for a real analog. It has a very rich analog quality sound. In fact, for a modular synth it's a fantastic replacement, because you can use modules from five different synthesizers with their own unique character to create behemoths that can only exist if you're Jean Michele Jarre. Programmable, polyphonic, and with no need to see a tech every few years for a tune up. But this is also true of a Virus, Radias, V-Synth, Moog Voyager or Little Phatty, a number of soft synths like Omnisphere or a giga library...

With The K around, you won't need anything else. But when has being a musician been about what you need? Wink
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> MOD-7

Certain people are going to have a fit when the DX7 rhodes comes back - bigger and fatter than ever. Laughing
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> MOD-7

Certain people are going to have a fit when the DX7 rhodes comes back - bigger and fatter than ever. Laughing

I need to comment this, there is something itching in my fingers right now!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on MOD-7! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: