Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plan B, what would it be?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure you can, but if it's a high value products (such a full truck of gear), you need to fill in some taxes paperwork and have them sign again when you will leave the country to get the refund...

There's even some countries (such Egypt) you also need to deposit 250% of the value (including vehicles)... If the customs don't sign the paper when you exit the country, you will never get your refund...

If it's just a keyboard, you should be able to get in and out the country without problem, but you might still have to go through the customs... (or not been caught).

When I was coming from US to Europe with some gear, I always had a document with all gear listed on the company letter to show to the customs to let me walk through without paying VAT...

Phil
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Plan B, what would it be? Reply with quote

My alternate would be a Nord Stage 2.

Strong piano, strong clonewheel, and custom sample loading are the things I need the most, so there aren't too many alternatives.

The only other possibility would be the Kurzweil PC3K, but it's 54 pounds. And I'm still not convinced that it's KB3 organ is as good as the others. Though for many other reasons, it would still be tempting if it were lighter (i.e. available in a smaller-than-88 key version).

Yamaha XF doesn't make it because of lack of clonewheel functionality. Nord Electro doesn't make it because it's monotimbral, and it lacks pitch bend, mod wheel, and aftertouch.
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan B would have been a Triton Extreme or a Roland Fantom G. I'm not a big fan of the M3 or the Motif and the Kurzweil with sampling is a bit expensive and no 61 key version.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan B would be to simply keep my M3-61 and Nord Stage 88 (Classic).

I'm very happy with the Stage and reasonably satisfied with the M3. I know I could take everything to the next level with the Kronos, but I've always got lots of piano practicing to do, which the Stage is great at (other than mechanically noisy keys), and with the M3 I can sequence and its very portable.

I essentially regard the Kronos as an M3 that does everything well and fixes its most glaring shortcomings: same basic UI, but with much better quality sounds and fantastic live use capabilities. But for the moment the fact remains I'm broke, and I do have 2 very capable instruments, so I suppose a bit of G.A.S. won't hurt me.

Plan B.2 would be to get an IPad- there are so many cool apps out there, it would be a great complement to my existing setup, esp. for providing better drum track support.

Speaking of which, I wonder how that's improved over the M3 drum track feature? I've always liked and frequently use it in practice sessions, but it's simply a linear pattern with no capability to modify it in real time or create a simple string of patterns. I'd love to see a "groove/beat station" as part of a keyboard. Perhaps workstations already have too much going on- but something like the Jupiter-80 would have been a good candidate for serious beats.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan B:

Mac Mini or MacBook with Korg Legacy Collection.
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Akos will scold me for being the "pennypincher" and "too arid" and "always about money and no emotions", but...

I see the following plan B as a viable option.

a) take two girls (red headed teenagers, IMHO)
b) pay them 300 bucks each
c) spend 3 hours with them at the nearest motel on wednesday afternoon (add 50 bucks for the motel)

Ok, that sounds lame and sordid, right?

What a shameful plan...

And no match for the pleasure and insipiration of playing a Kronos!

But bear with me:

for the european price of a Kronos 88,

you are gonna do it ONCE A MONTH starting from now up to New Year Eve,

INCLUDING new year's eve.

Now, THAT's starting to sound musically inspiring, right?

Imagine: you are writing songs, editing parameters, and you think "now... next wednesday, it's party wednesday!" or "come on, just 15 days to next party".

That would put a smile on your face every day, and give you tremendous inspiration.

And this condition is gonna go on for ALL this year!

Now:

WHO is gonna make better sounds and songs?

you Twisted Evil

or the guy who next November will still be waiting for his Kronos to be delivered? Sad

WHICH of you will write MORE and BETTER songs in the next few months?

Rest my case.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:

WHICH of you will write MORE and BETTER songs in the next few months?

Rest my case.

I guess anyone not in the pityful state of old man phanasies of buying red headed teenager pleasures in motels should have quite a fair chance of being ten times more creative, no matter what the price of his Kronos may have been.

We better rest your case, yes Rolling Eyes
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozy for prime minister... nah, Silvio has that shiznit covered already
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: