Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You Should Buy the SV1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: You Should Buy the SV1 Reply with quote

I’ve recently read a few posts on this forum from people who were turned off to the SV1 because of problems they read about here.

When you have a problem you go looking for answers. And forums like these naturally draw more people with problems than people with good news. But you have to realize there are plenty of people who are perfectly happy with their SV1 too, they just don’t have a reason to post here when everything is going fine.

While I would change a few things on the SV1, I would also change things on any board I’ve owned. For what the SV1 is (a weighted stage piano specializing in electric piano emulation) the SV1 is great! I realize some have had problems with the key-bed and other issues, but as for myself I have had no problems and I recommend the SV1 to anyone looking for a great electric piano experience.
flyingace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for saying that Shaun. My biggest problem of all is I play other keyboard and nothing sounds even remotely like the coolness of the korg, but no one in 3 states around me even stocks one, so I have yet to play one!

I am smitten with it though and will probably end up ordering one and taking my chances, suffering through any issues, if need be, just to play an instrument that inspires me.

I had the opportunity to buy a Yamaha CP33 today for $600, but even though the keys feel good, it just sits there and doesn't inspire me to write or play and I really like the funky stuff! I felt like I was in church playing that thing!

Thanks for the encouragement and I'll most likely still be joining the ranks of the SV-1 owners very soon. I got the go ahead from the wife, now it's just deciding between the 73 and 88. Which one is better?
velour100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingace wrote:
Thanks for saying that Shaun. My biggest problem of all is I play other keyboard and nothing sounds even remotely like the coolness of the korg, but no one in 3 states around me even stocks one, so I have yet to play one!

I am smitten with it though and will probably end up ordering one and taking my chances, suffering through any issues, if need be, just to play an instrument that inspires me.

I had the opportunity to buy a Yamaha CP33 today for $600, but even though the keys feel good, it just sits there and doesn't inspire me to write or play and I really like the funky stuff! I felt like I was in church playing that thing!

Thanks for the encouragement and I'll most likely still be joining the ranks of the SV-1 owners very soon. I got the go ahead from the wife, now it's just deciding between the 73 and 88. Which one is better?

I say, go for it!
The Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A music store near me had the SV-1 73 and I played it on and off for three weeks before deciding to buy it. Even then, I didn't realize how full and authentic the sounds were until I got it on stage. And then once I spent some time and tweak the sounds to my liking, it became my favorite keyboard for live use. So I had to spend some time with the SV-1 before I came to love it.

I like the 73 over the 88 because there are times when I want a small keyboard to fit on a tight stage in a combo setting, and great multi-purpose 73 note keyboards aren't that common any more. The SV-1 73 is just right fot the job, especially when you use it with it's own stand. If I used it more as a solo performance instrument then I'd probably prefer the 88, but for sitting in with bands that red 73-note is da bomb!
Dave Ferris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on 2 weeks ago I re-purchased the SV-1 88 from a friend where it was basically sitting unused in his studio.

I originally bought and sold the SV1 88 last July after being less then satisfied with the APs on Soundpack 1. However with the release of the SP2, the longer sustain/decay of the pianos and the addition of the darker sounding EPs, the SV1 had been on my radar since last Sept. again.

In the interim I was given the Nord Piano 88 to try and beta test some piano samples by Clavia for about 3 months. I used it quite extensively both live and for recording. While I liked the way the NP 88 recorded, live, I couldn't get the same organic, cool sounding vibe through a pair of speakers.
I was on the fence about purchasing the NP and then at the end of '10, Clavia asked for it back. With NAMM a few weeks away, I decided to return it, wait and see what was new.

Of course the Kronos was announced and like most my attention or desire regarding the SV-1 had waned substantially. After watching probably every video made on the Kronos and seeing the release and availability getting pushed further back, when the opportunity to snatch up the SV-1 at a great deal arose, I jumped on it.

Granted, it might not be the "latest and greatest" but for my purposes, playing live, having a light weight alternative and totally different color/vibe then my CP-5, I don't think it can be beat.

I've loaded in the SP2 sounds while keeping various SP1 Synth/ Brass sounds. I've used it on two gigs now and couldn't be happier with my decision. Yes, like everyone, I'm still awaiting the release of the Kronos but for the time being this is more then fine.

I'm hesitant to lay out 3K or more on an instrument with so many workstation/synth options that I can't ever see myself using. Add in the simple fact that there are many gig instances where I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing such an expensive instrument, not to mention the overkill factor.

Bottom line (after a lot of babbling Smile ) , yes I think the SV-1 is still an excellent sounding , functional and basically fun instrument for gigging or recording.

My outlook in these times is---get something that will do the job at a pro level and spend the least amount of money possible.

2005 NY Steinway D
flyingace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALRIGHT!! The Deed is Done!!

I just made my order for the 88 from Musicians Friend using their 15% off sale. Free Ship, no tax, 12 months no interest. My wife is happy and I'm really happy!

I also got an Ultimate Support AX-48 Pro stand with it for 15% off too. I sure hope it's stout enough to hold the 88.

I originally wanted the 73 but the concensus around here was that I would not be travelling with it much, our girls will probably take lessons as well and 88 is recommended for piano students and resale value is a little better for a standard 88. I love the 73 for it's size and cool red color though!

I'm sure I'd have been happy either way, but glad that I'm finally off the fence and in the game!

Thank you to everyone here for their help and encouragement. I hope to be a regular contributor and HEY, maybe we can change this "only coming to the forum to talk about problems" and start talking more about how great these keyboards are!

Although I would like to see Korg get more involved and update more often!
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but positives from the SV for me. No complaints at all so far after a full year of gigging. Love it.

But, the real issue: You have to get permission from your wife to buy a keyboard? Damn brother, that is no way to live. Just because you can hit the high harmonies, doesn't mean you have to give up your manhood.
flyingace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that it's been going great for you.

On the rest of your note:
Aw come on, give a guy who cares about his family a little break. I buy lots of guitars and amps and effects all the time, heck, she's a musician too, but $2k out of our budget, whether financed or not, is a hit for any reasonably employed family with two teenage kids! Plus I love her and I care what she thinks. THAT is the true measure of a man, acting responsibly when his family is concerned and putting their needs over his own. You must not be married or have kids huh?
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, its Tony Robbins!!!

Easy there, brah. Just a little good natured ribbing. I'm 10 years married with 3 grown kids. But I still think there is something askew in the dynamic if one partner doesn't allow the other to spend their hard earned money as they choose. It can harvest unconscious resentment. We live in nashville and I have seen too many excellent musicans abandon their passion once married. Having said that, this only applies if the household bills and obligations are taken care of responsibly.
flyingace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! My SV-1 88 arrives today!
flyingace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has arrived and WOW, excellent! I love it. I can't wait to dig into the editor and sound packs. Thanks to all here that helped and even to the one that didn't!
guillex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a store to try it, and the keybed was break, hahaha the official dealer had a bad unit in exhibition...was horrible...
So...I still can't trust on it!
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear. And, flyingace, I do apologize for my off handed comments. Truth be told, I just really wanted you to get the sv1. I've been pressuring people to buy this thing all over the world. It's worth every penny.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first rehearsal with a new band last night. It’s becoming a regular occurrence now – a bunch of musicians huddled around my piano asking questions, complementing the sound and looks. I’d like to think my great playing ability is getting me all my work, but I know the EP tones of the SV1 are helping a lot too.

I did develop a blister trying to do glissandos on a fast organ tune with the weighted keys… Thoughts of an Electro danced through my head. But the trade off for weighted keys on piano tunes is well worth it to me.
flyingace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks craigalan, I appreciate that and I am truly happy that I got it, so now I can really understand why you'd want to talk people into it. I've posted my new acquisition on every forum I frequent and included a write up in my blog. I also have a waiting list of local musicians that want to come over and give it a whirl! Smile

Shaun, I totally agree, it's a very inspirational instrument. It's something the beancounters can never get their heads wrapped around: the way an instrument helps inspire a musician to create.

This thing has made my wife do a double-take several times asking what I was just playing. When I respond, "I don't know, I was just making it up" she says, "well, i'd buy it! You should hit record more often!" She's biased of course but it was nice to hear!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: