Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will the Kronos be able to sequence external gear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Will the Kronos be able to sequence external gear? Reply with quote

Hi there, just trying to get some more details for this monster. Is the Kronos able to sequence external hardware?
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Korg's been doing that for years.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's a plus. You happen to know how much hardware I can sequence with one midi out? I would like to daisy chain about three other pieces. Would there be a noticeable latency?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 channels per MIDI out.....

up to 16 synths.

If you start getting into using MIDI In, Out & Thru, then yes, you will get a bit of delay.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro wrote:
Ok that's a plus. You happen to know how much hardware I can sequence with one midi out? I would like to daisy chain about three other pieces. Would there be a noticeable latency?

My Korg Karma workstation is the 5th in a chain of synths and modules linked via their MIDI in and thru sockets and I notice no latency issues. But if you do in your setup, purchase a MOTU MIDI interface and that will take care of it.

Sometimes workstations (especially older ones from the '90s) demonstrate noticeable MIDI-sequencer-playback latency due to their internal processing capabilities at high MIDI track counts (and not daisy chaining with other hardware). The SY77, for example, exhibited obvious greater latency near 16 MIDI tracks used - even if used isolated from other gear; but most modern workstations are fine in this respect. I have, however, noticed some slight but problematic latency issues even in the OASYS at _very_ high voice counts - when I pushed it to the limit and used its 170+ (equivalent) voices across 16 tracks. I recorded some to internal audio tracks and that resolved the issue.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro wrote:

none that your probably going to really notice,put the least important or little used gear at the end of the chain or get yourself a small midi thru unit,which will help keep the signal delay to minimal

I've sequenced 4/5 midi units daisy chained,from a Korg Triton/Trinity never noticed any problems with delays,the only notable delays your going to see is usually time critical instruments like Drums,but if your sequencing those internally in Kronos there shouldn't be an issue,and if so try and keep them on channel 10,if you have an external drum box then put it at the front of the chain after the kronos

using a midi thru unit is usually the best option rather than daisy chaining especially if you intend to sync arpeggios and things using the kronos as a master clock source,the last thing you want is timing delays in a daisy chain configuration

I use 2 Midisport 8X8 midi patchers/Routers because of the amount of devices I need to sequence and because I need to reroute different signal to different synths without having to unplug everything all the time but a small 1 Midi in to 3 thrus would suffice in your case.

Although I tend not to sequence large amounts of Midi gear anyway at one time,I usually render some tracks to an audio Multitrack so I'm not running everything via midi,I really only sequence complex parts or time critical things Like drums or repetitive parts which require the aid of a machine for perfect timings everything else I try to do live as much as I can.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info and tips.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't experience noticeable latency, as others have said.

However, there's no reason to keep drums on MIDI ch. 10.

dustymaestro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping drums on midi channel 10 is an old school thing. I think back than devices and older daw's would default drums to channel 10. Something like that.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg:: wrote:

there's no reason to keep drums on MIDI ch. 10.

No there isn't...

I used to produce commercial midi files for a company so its kind of a standard procedure or rule of thumb that extends from the Yamaha XG methods to select drum banks,nothing to say you have to work like this its just a form of housekeeping I have always used when producing Midi sequences,even in my own sequences I stick to this method as its easier to come back to files months and years later.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg:: wrote:
You shouldn't experience noticeable latency, as others have said.

However, there's no reason to keep drums on MIDI ch. 10.

Just to clarify, this is what I meant, but stick more than 5 items in a midi chain (in, thru, in, thru etc) and you could start to hear timing issues.

But if it's just the odd item, you should be fine.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: