Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos strings vs pc3 vs srx complete orchestra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtray187

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: kronos strings vs pc3 vs srx complete orchestra Reply with quote

I must say the strings in the pc3 really impressed me. The m3 not so much.
How do the kronos strings compare?
Also can the srx complete orchestra from roland compete ?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos strings vs pc3 vs srx complete orchestra Reply with quote

dtray187 wrote:
Also can the srx complete orchestra from roland compete ?

Compared to Kurzweil's? Hell no.
Slovenec

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurzweil PC3 strings are hard to beat for a hardware rompler. Saying that, I also didn't mind the strings in my now sold Triton and Trinity although the Kurzweil strings are no doubt better.

One can only assume that the Kronos strings & orchestral sounds will be a big step up from M3 as we're now talking about GBs of waveform memory as opposed to MBs! Smile
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Roland string library in their SRX boards are outstanding. They provide a number of articulation samples that otherwise would require a giga-library. I've found them to be very useful in banging around some orchestral passages, and am hoping to use them in compositions this summer and fall.

Like everyone else, I'm hoping that the Kronos strings are way awesomer, or if not, at least as useful as KORG strings have been in the past. And that the Karo libraries are Kronos friendly.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:

One can only assume that the Kronos strings & orchestral sounds will be a big step up from M3 as we're now talking about GBs of waveform memory as opposed to MBs! Smile

The string samples from HD-1 and M3 are the same except the HD-1 are uncompressed, so I'm told. It will be difficult to beat the Kurz when it comes to strings/orchestra, unless Korg is releasing new string/orchestra samples and that's the reason there is now less RAM. Idea
zahush76

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Slovenec wrote:

The string samples from HD-1 and M3 are the same except the HD-1 are uncompressed, so I'm told. It will be difficult to beat the Kurz when it comes to strings/orchestra, unless Korg is releasing new string/orchestra samples and that's the reason there is now less RAM. Idea

My hopes are for some kind of an arrangement korg may have made with Karo (wishful thinking...). A Kronos with the KSL library (and everything else the kronos already has) is truly a killer.
After all, from all the acoustic instruments (apart from the piano, obviously) - the most important and useful sound for a keyboard player is the strings. Not much to do with a supernatural tuba or basoon (or anything else in that direction for that matter...)
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, it's how you play string programs in realtime, and the available realtime articulations, that are the important issues. Hence why VSL, Yamaha VL, V-Synth GT APS and Supernatural among others, still dominate. So comparing Kurzweil to Korg and Roland and so on is surely relatively unimportant - they're all quite unsophisticated by todays standards.

That said, the OASYS strings are useful. Korg took care in their sampling and voicing. Hence you find very smart application of the SW1 and 2 switches to vary the strings, for example for realtime switching between arco and pizz, or using the vector joystick to shift between string quartet / chamber orchestra scales to larger orchestral string settings. So to my ears, OASYS strings are about as good as it can get from non-streaming libraries. They really are quite impressive. A particular characteristic of Korg OASYS string samples is that they captured the bowing phase quite nicely - so they sound lovely and 'woody' and just natural, whether a solo violin or large orchestral. Whether intentional or just down to the recording / sampling setting, that 'woodiness' is preserved very nicely and (to me) sounds very nice indeed across a wide range of string programs.

I have to say that I find myself a bit confused over Korg's intentions with Orchestral samples. Overall, I feel they are looking to offer orchestral options in rock/pop/big-band live and recording scenarios rather that true orchestral music. This is reflected by their relatively weak offerings on sampled Harp, Timpani, Gong and so on (they are there, but they are a little lack-luster). Similarly with their EXs3 wind library - an eclectic mix, but not target for orchestral composing per say (and hence not ideal for TV/Film work).

This is understandable - Kronos emerged from the "Jack of All Trades" staple. But - Korg have now shown a massive advance on two fronts - uncompromised Synth Engines, and uncompromised Pianos and Organs. So bit-by-bit they are clawing back from jack-of-all-trades to absolutely first-rate offerings across different keyboard/synth requirements. So in this light I hope the Orchestral instrumentation is on their agenda for a similar makeover. I say this because I see great potential here, namely, streamed samples meaning better library access managed by Karma GE's developed with serious orchestral players. This very potent combination has the potential to yield articulative playing to rival Supernatural. Overall, Kronos optimized for Orchestral playing could offer a new and very sophisticated approach to sample libraries. I'd also love to see Korg dedicate such intent toward world/ethnic instruments too.

Finally, although I only own Karo's original philharmonic strings sample package, I was not impressed by it. They got the envelopes on the strings completely wrong, and even some of their programs merged string samples with vintage synth samples that sounded the alarm bells for me. They were woeful.

I believe they revoiced them but I have never used this sample package - the OASYS on board strings are hugely superior and are more usable in every respect.

Karo have done some excellent pianos (all of which I own) but again they are not without their velocity switching quirks, rendering some of them unusable. Karo are 90% there, but you should definitely try to sample their products before committing to what are relatively expensive packages. I don’t want to be too harsh - I believe their later strings are better and there are many excellent Piano libraries; and overall their sample quality is exquisite and pristine, but I feel it needs to be flagged that there are some persisting issues with their programming/voicing that have rendered some of their products unusable (for me). Their Bosendorfer Grand Piano, is however, very, VERY nice indeed (to my ears).

Kevin.
oasys76

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
As you know, it's how you play string programs in realtime, and the available realtime articulations, that are the important issues. Hence why VSL, Yamaha VL, V-Synth GT APS and Supernatural among others, still dominate. So comparing Kurzweil to Korg and Roland and so on is surely relatively unimportant - they're all quite unsophisticated by todays standards.

That said, the OASYS strings are useful. Korg took care in their sampling and voicing. Hence you find very smart application of the SW1 and 2 switches to vary the strings, for example for realtime switching between arco and pizz, or using the vector joystick to shift between string quartet / chamber orchestra scales to larger orchestral string settings. So to my ears, OASYS strings are about as good as it can get from non-streaming libraries. They really are quite impressive. A particular characteristic of Korg OASYS string samples is that they captured the bowing phase quite nicely - so they sound lovely and 'woody' and just natural, whether a solo violin or large orchestral. Whether intentional or just down to the recording / sampling setting, that 'woodiness' is preserved very nicely and (to me) sounds very nice indeed across a wide range of string programs.

I have to say that I find myself a bit confused over Korg's intentions with Orchestral samples. Overall, I feel they are looking to offer orchestral options in rock/pop/big-band live and recording scenarios rather that true orchestral music. This is reflected by their relatively weak offerings on sampled Harp, Timpani, Gong and so on (they are there, but they are a little lack-luster). Similarly with their EXs3 wind library - an eclectic mix, but not target for orchestral composing per say (and hence not ideal for TV/Film work).

This is understandable - Kronos emerged from the "Jack of All Trades" staple. But - Korg have now shown a massive advance on two fronts - uncompromised Synth Engines, and uncompromised Pianos and Organs. So bit-by-bit they are clawing back from jack-of-all-trades to absolutely first-rate offerings across different keyboard/synth requirements. So in this light I hope the Orchestral instrumentation is on their agenda for a similar makeover. I say this because I see great potential here, namely, streamed samples meaning better library access managed by Karma GE's developed with serious orchestral players. This very potent combination has the potential to yield articulative playing to rival Supernatural. Overall, Kronos optimized for Orchestral playing could offer a new and very sophisticated approach to sample libraries. I'd also love to see Korg dedicate such intent toward world/ethnic instruments too.

Finally, although I only own Karo's original philharmonic strings sample package, I was not impressed by it. They got the envelopes on the strings completely wrong, and even some of their programs merged string samples with vintage synth samples that sounded the alarm bells for me. They were woeful.

I believe they revoiced them but I have never used this sample package - the OASYS on board strings are hugely superior and are more usable in every respect.

Karo have done some excellent pianos (all of which I own) but again they are not without their velocity switching quirks, rendering some of them unusable. Karo are 90% there, but you should definitely try to sample their products before committing to what are relatively expensive packages. I don’t want to be too harsh - I believe their later strings are better and there are many excellent Piano libraries; and overall their sample quality is exquisite and pristine, but I feel it needs to be flagged that there are some persisting issues with their programming/voicing that have rendered some of their products unusable (for me). Their Bosendorfer Grand Piano, is however, very, VERY nice indeed (to my ears).

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Check KARO's new KSL & KUO !!!!
I can tell you it sounds absolutly realistic ! AWESOME !!!! thanks KARO for this great programing and sampling job !!!!
I own also the East West Platinum Orchestra and the Miroslav Vitous VST but after buying this 2 KARO Libraries I will never go back to my VST's !!!!
listen at Mike Conway's demos !!!! amaizing !
my wish number one = hope Korg support KARO and implement streaming for this fantastic libs .......

Cheers Oasys 76
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I own also the East West Platinum Orchestra and the Miroslav Vitous VST but after buying this 2 KARO Libraries I will never go back to my VST's !!!!

Sometimes I wonder if you are working for the guys. The vast majority of your posts always bring attention to KARO. Wink

No disrespect to KARO at all in this but seriously, but come on now, compared to East West Platinum Orchestra ? You’re talking about major software that’s in an entirely different league altogether. I bet not even KARO would compaire their work as somthing on the same level as you get from East West Platinum Orchestra.

Quote:
my wish number one = hope Korg support KARO and implement streaming for this fantastic libs

I strongly disagree as that would be a waste of KORG resources to line a specific developers pocket. Their time would be better off spent just giving the KRONOS the ability to stream any sample data loaded. Be it end user data, a third party library, or any of KORG’s own libraries from past keyboards and future releases.

Regards
Sharp.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Kevin.

I agree on the OASYS strings. I think the strings in general are very good and competitive with what's out there in the hardware world.

I'm interested in the Karo strings, but certainly not sold on them at this point. I don't expect to be doing a ton of string/orchestral stuff on the Kronos as I have software that will do that. Some usable ensemble strings for combis and such is a different matter. I suspect the out of the box Kronos strings will be more than adequate.

Busch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: