Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as Second DAW Audio Interface

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Kronos as Second DAW Audio Interface Reply with quote

In the past, I have always connected keyboards to my DAW (Sonar) through an audio interface using the keyboard's analog or digital audio outs.

With the Kronos, one can now use a USB 2.0 connection as both an audio and midi connection.

My question relates my understanding that DAWs like Sonar can only use one ASIO audio interface at the same time (I understand this is an ASIO limitation).

My question:

-- Is it possible to use both the Kronos audio interface and a second audio interface (like my MOTU) at the same time in a DAW like Sonar?

I am trying to get a conceptual understanding about how people use multiple audio interfaces. Thanks.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

I was having the same problem a while ago with a Motif. As you know the Motif can have a FW16e installed, which will deliver your midi and 16 tracks of audio to the daw.
I didn't purchase it because of the issue that you are questioning.

Being I'm on a Mac, the OS provides you with the option of making as aggregate device which allows you to to combine two audio interfaces for use.
But, the Motif was not able to be setup in this manner. So I skipped the idea and just purchased an Ensemble and went that route.

If I'm not mistaken, you can use the ASIO, but you have to go into your audio preferences of Sonar and keep switching back and forth to the driver of choice.
You would think by now one would be able to select this audio interface for vocals and the USB for the Kronos? .. "Not" .. Sad I was hoping for this also.
You always have S/PDIF..
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASIO4All lets you wrap multiple ASIO devices into single ASIO. I used it with my Fantom G, 16MXD, and Echo laptop sound card.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
ASIO4All lets you wrap multiple ASIO devices into single ASIO. I used it with my Fantom G, 16MXD, and Echo laptop sound card.

But ASIO4ALL isn't a real ASIO driver. It doesn't offer true synchronisation of timing between input and outputs and MIDI ports for example. It simply approximates it by sending some well timed and cleverly programmed messages using the standard windows WDM audio drivers.

So you lose those real pro benefits of ASIO drivers.

Don't get me wrong, it can quite often work very well. But it is always recommended to use your manufacturer's drivers over ASIO4ALL if they are available. It was primarily developed as a way to get near-ASIO performance out of cheap consumer market level soundcards (even the Soundblaster top music range is primarily aimed at listening, not recording, and does not come with ASIO drivers).

Interestingly I was using ASIO4ALL on my custom built keyboard as I am only using the motherboard's Realtek HD Audio chip. however I've actually got better performance (9ms latency) using the WDM drivers running at 96kHz with a 1024 block buffer.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade... I agree... but something is better than nothing.

Yes, ASIO4All works really well with on-board soundcard on my ASUS EEE Slate.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
X-Trade... I agree... but something is better than nothing.

Yes, ASIO4All works really well with on-board soundcard on my ASUS EEE Slate.

do they make it for mac os x?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASIO4ALL isn't necessary for OS X because there is no ASIO. The Coreaudio framework provides the kind of synchronised audio that is offered by ASIO.

OS X also has the ability in 'Audio MIDI Setup' to create a 'composite' device - or something like that - that uses a number of drivers and presents itself as one device.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people.

I suspected my understanding was correct. I will most likely just use the "normal" audio connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: