Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it's all about the MOJO!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: it's all about the MOJO! Reply with quote

Been checking out the new vids on the Kronos E.P.s, and they sound hot, no doubt! But I gotta say, there's something about sitting in front of my chunky red SV...no menus or touch screens, just a row of inviting knobs and switches. What you see is what you get. As good as the Kronos E.P. sounds, playing it on a slick new bit of kit with the latest interface just does'nt seem to vibe. It's like playing Pong on a PS3. Yes, I know the SV is sample based and only a branch away from Kronos on the Korg family tree. But I FEEL differently playing it, and that's where the magic of the SV is strongest for me.
The Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV-1 is a throwback to a time when keyboard players had to work to get the most out of their instruments - creating the right combination of keyboard/amps/effects pedals etc. It was expensive to own all those keyboards and a pain to tote and there were no LCD's and multifunction controls, but the sounds drove the hit songs and many keyboard and effects combinations became signatures for artists and songs alike.

I didn't realize how much I missed the "good old days" until I played the SV-1 and got 70's whiplash. I look at my Yamaha Motif XS with much more jaded eyes now... it's nice and useful but when I want to jam with the boys and get that MOJO thing going, it's the SV-1 73 for me. It's the first instrument in a long time that makes me want to find nice dirty little gigs to go honk at.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, brother! Hazy memories of lugging my beat up Univox E.P from garage to bar and back again! Good times..... Cool
flyingace

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up hearing all these sounds, loving them, but not realizing where they came from. Then in the 80s, all the synth music took over and I almost forgot how much I loved the organic quality of EPs, Wurlis and organs. I'm once again in love with my musical heritage.

The SV-1 has given me an opportunity to simply and easily "dial" up those sounds. I haven't touched my VST or rack mount vintage keys module since! They just can't compare to the vibe I get from the SV!

Last night, I added a "leslie" to the #2 piano while I was in a Dark Side of the Moon mood and had a good time playing Echoes much to my wife's delight (her favorite album). We were both blown away by how easy it was to achieve that sound and how good it sounded. I loved the way it felt playing my SV.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gigging rig back in the early 80's evolved into my Univox, a Roland Juno 6, SH1000 and later on a Moog Rogue. I remember changing sounds on the fly, setting each board manually while our frontman worked the crowd buying me an extra minute or two! I don't mind presets, use 'em all the time, but once drum beats, Karma and the like found their way into the sounds, they lost something for me. In my opinion the Trinity was the last great keyboard Korg made, before the "bells and whistles". What can I say, "too old to Rock 'n Roll, too young to die"...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: