Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still unclear about the plug-in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Still unclear about the plug-in Reply with quote

I take it's not going to be as integrated as the Virus. Prove me wrong!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustymeastro -

Your thread is very brief - what's you point? I (and many of us) don't know the Virus at all. Could you fill us in on what it does and what you think Kronos doesn't do? Fill us in on what you think is the case - I'd be interested to know (and Korg are pretty OK at supporting products for a few years at least so your pointers may lead to future enhancements).

Thanks,
Kevin.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically im still a bit in the dark about the plugin implementation. I have watched I think almost all the videos on Kronos. I dont think they have demoed the plugin part. I have seen the Korg video where they show a brief glimpse of Garageband without any sort of pop up screen for the plugin.

As far as the Virus is concerned better to let them tell it.

http://virus.info/page/render/lang/en/p/59/do/Total_Integration_rtas_vst_au_plug_in.html
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro, step in out of the dust, it's making it dark.

While I could see using the Virus TI desktops as plugin sound modules. I only actually use the VST as a way to change programs and update the OS. in normal operation I just plug in the MIDI connector

Why buy a keyboard instrument and treat it like some vitual sound module?
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (limited) understanding is that the Kronos plugin does work the same way - I remember reading that it wasn't as perceivably limiting (plugin wise) as the M3, for example. It was a step on from that.... which leads me to think it's more like the Virus TI.....

We'll know soon enough Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jwpc please, I dont know you you dont know me. Assumptions arent good. The plug-in is another feature I would like to know more about. Simple as that.

Hopefully somebody can chime in who actually knows about this feature.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
My (limited) understanding is that the Kronos plugin does work the same way - I remember reading that it wasn't as perceivably limiting (plugin wise) as the M3, for example. It was a step on from that.... which leads me to think it's more like the Virus TI.....

We'll know soon enough Cool

Hopefully sooner than later.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Dustymaestro,

I downloaded the Virus TI manual and went through its section on DAW integration; and then looked at the Kronos Brochure to see what it says about computer connectivity. Overall I think your concerns are well founded, though it depends on the scope of the Kronos DAW editor:

Audio Channels:
Virus TI connects to a DAW, sample-accurate, over 3 stereo-paired audio channels.

Kronos seems to connect to a computer via 2-channel audio over USB, no mention of Sample accuracy.

So in this regard it appears that the Virus offers a more professional and flexible DAW integration spec

MIDI
both Virus and Kronos allow MIDI over USB. However, since the Kronos offers Combi Mode and true 16 part multitimbrality, by default it's more flexible in this regard (though no more so than any other 16 part workstation). But bearing in mind the stunning quality of Kronos's 9 synth engines, it's not like any other workstation and is more like 9 dedicated synthesizers, all controllable with large polyphony and 16 parts (though recordable only over 2 audio channels admittedly). So for composing / development work Kronos offers huge added benifit (which is hugely important and liberating at the moment of inception/creation); but when ti comes to laying down those 16 MIDI tracks into a DAW, you'll probably have to do it 2 channels at a time!)

EDITING
Depending on the capability of the Kronos DAW editor, and in particular whether it offers a Combi level editor, you might have massive realtime editing control / automation in our DAW of 16 Kronos instruments across a Combi. If so, this would be unprecedented - think about it - 16 synth sounds across 9 synth engines, with hardware-level latency, and all with editing automation within a DAW. This again by default goes well beyond the Virus because it has less polyphony and parts.

So overall I suspect that Kronos DAW control will feel very different to that of Virus. Virus will probably excel at audio tracking integration; with Kronos potentially offering far wider DAW control of 16 parts MIDI/Editor controllable / automatable for potentially breathtaking compositional and sound design possibilities (but dependent on a Combi level Editor within the DAW).

Kevin.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Kevin you went the extra mile. Has anybody seen a pic of the Editor?
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
MIDI
both Virus and Kronos allow MIDI over USB. However, since the Kronos offers Combi Mode and true 16 part multitimbrality, by default it's more flexible in this regard (though no more so than any other 16 part workstation).

As does the Virus TI. Multi-Mode/Sequencer Mode. 16 independent synths. Each with their own effects. Not shared like Korg synths.
Virus TI Multis also differ where they don't simply reference patches. If you modify a patch you don't modify a multi. Virus TI Multis stand on their own two feet. They completely contain up to 16 patches on their own.

Just sayin' Cool

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)

Last edited by EnjoyRC on Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
ozy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymaestro wrote:
JAssumptions arent good.

You opened a thread based on assumptions,

and which MUST be based on assumptions since NOBODY here can PROVE or DISPROVE anything about the Kronos plugin, which nobody has seen or used.

So, either you tolerate "assumptions", or you close the thread.

Sorry for stepping in so brutally, but logics (contrary to kronos) is a toll which has been available for some thousand years now, it's proved and tested, and it says that your question doesn't make sense.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What assumptions did I make? Actually their are Korg staff that visit this site. Arent you calling the pot black by saying nobody knows?

Last edited by dustymaestro on Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up with my quote champ?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
MIDI
both Virus and Kronos allow MIDI over USB. However, since the Kronos offers Combi Mode and true 16 part multitimbrality, by default it's more flexible in this regard (though no more so than any other 16 part workstation).

As does the Virus TI. Multi-Mode/Sequencer Mode. 16 independent synths. Each with their own effects. Not shared like Korg synths.

That sounds good on paper, except the Virus' polyphony drops out after as little as 3 or 4 parts (at least when I try it,) and I don't even do fast trance. (cept once) You'll probably never use all 16 parts of FX at the same time, but it is a very cool idea, which the Roland Fantom G also does. Virus is my 2nd favorite synth, behind OASYS.

I record my TI to the OASYS audio tracks as seen here:

16 tracks of Virus TI

My wife and kids are asleep in the background. Just another night of daddy messing around. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: