Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Kronos do all I need it to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Except on Fantom you sacrifice HALF of FX power and you can have only 8 parts. While on Kurzweil you have to calculate FX units and watch if you're using the same FX modules across FX chains and the like, and then again KB3 is a whole different mode with its own behavior. Not the easiest way to do it, but can be done.

Kronos does this effortlessly and without needing any pointers or calculations from the user, which is absolutely great, even to a Kurzweil die-hard like me. Smile
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

If you are happy with the Roland, I would just get some kind of module and MIDI the module to get your pads. I think it is very unlikely that the another keyboard will sound as good as what you are hearing. I mean, you are happy right now, just need a module to provide pads.
Jim Robbins/SOLO PIANO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zeroesque. BTW, Love rock instrumental fusion. I see you have Marco Sfogli as a guest guitarist. Glad you're doing stuff that not only showcases great chops, but melodic content as well. Keep it up.
Jim Robbins/SOLO PIANO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, EvilDragon. Sounds like Kronos really can do what I'm looking for.
Jim Robbins/SOLO PIANO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aron,

I thought of getting a module, but wondered how to layer them in real time with the acoustic piano, and whether or not I could change the levels and characteristics of the various layers easily. Any thoughts?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I thought of getting a module, but wondered how to layer them in real time with the acoustic piano, and whether or not I could change the levels and characteristics of the various layers easily. Any thoughts?

I used to use a small MIDI control surface. It's a small panel top with faders and buttons. All you do is send the MIDI out from your Roland to the MIDI in of the control surface, then send that to the module.

I think Kurzweil was thinking of a PC3 rack at one point. However, since you have a great piano sound now, all you would need is a decent MIDI module. Although I am getting a Kronos, I will have to see if the piano sounds are really that good. I already have software pianos and none of them really are like a piano. To me, no one has gotten the sound of the sustain pedal held down correctly.
Jim Robbins/SOLO PIANO

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aron,

I think another good reason for me to get an additional keyboard such as the Kronos is because my Roland has been in the shop twice in the last few months -- it's got a great piano sound -- but is probably 10 years old. I need a back-up so that I don't loose gigs.

Where have you ordered the Kronos from? Does everyone essentially have it listed at the same price-point? [$3,799?]
Mystic38

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt know about pc3 (and actually kurweill in general)..

hopefully the 8 parts was obvious...given its a 16 part multitimbral synth.. with patch switching you have 8 new parts plus the 8 old parts in sustain is...umm.... Smile lol

EvilDragon wrote:
Indeed. Except on Fantom you sacrifice HALF of FX power and you can have only 8 parts. While on Kurzweil you have to calculate FX units and watch if you're using the same FX modules across FX chains and the like, and then again KB3 is a whole different mode with its own behavior. Not the easiest way to do it, but can be done.

Kronos does this effortlessly and without needing any pointers or calculations from the user, which is absolutely great, even to a Kurzweil die-hard like me. Smile

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I ordered mine from Full Compass. I have nothing but great things to say about them.

About the PC3, I think it's a great keyboard, but for me it's been totally unreliable. I can fill you in later (PM), but I will not ever rely upon it again for an important gig. It's let me down big time and I am very disappointed in the support. Mine is broken and in the only shop that will still take Kurzweils. Yep, around here no one wants to deal with the company.

I used to get great support. No longer since they switched to the distributor.

Aron
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Robbins/SOLO PIANO wrote:
Thanks, Zeroesque. BTW, Love rock instrumental fusion. I see you have Marco Sfogli as a guest guitarist. Glad you're doing stuff that not only showcases great chops, but melodic content as well. Keep it up.

Just saw this, Jim. Thanks for the sentiment. Listening to your stuff now...nice playing and feeling. Like it. The Roland FP isn't bad, but you and I will both benefit from the SGX-1. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: