Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA3X Pre-Purchase Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muziksculp

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: PA3X Pre-Purchase Questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I’m considering to buy the good looking, and great sounding Korg PA3X.

I have a few pre-purchase questions.

1. Does the 61 key version without the tilting LCD screen feature, hard to view from a normal viewing angle, i.e. 45 degrees ?

2. I have never owned an arranger keyboard, the PA3X will be my first Arranger, is it relatively easy to use ? My experience is more with Workstations, i.e. Yamaha Motif.

3. Could I use the PA3X more like a sound module with a sequencer ? i.e. with Cubase 6 ?

4. Are the onboard programs quite editable, similar to keyboard workstations i.e. Kronos, Motif, …etc. ?

5. Can the PA3X be integrated with a sequencer (i.e. Cubase 6) as a VST instrument via VST-software editor ?

6. I have listened to some of the Kronos audio via various video and audio demos, and the PA3X seems to offer much better quality and realism, plus I think a richer variety of sounds. Do you agree ? or should I consider the Kronos as an alternative to the PA3X ?

I would appreciate some feedback on the above questions, and look forward to become a proud Korg PA3X (61 Key version) owner in the near future.

Cheers,

Muziksculp
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muziksculp wrote:
I have a few pre-purchase questions.

Quote:
1. Does the 61 key version without the tilting LCD screen feature, hard to view from a normal viewing angle, i.e. 45 degrees ?

I think it will be fine - I don't own one but it cannot be too different from my PA1Xpro which had a fixed screen - that was fine.
Quote:
2. I have never owned an arranger keyboard, the PA3X will be my first Arranger, is it relatively easy to use ? My experience is more with Workstations, i.e. Yamaha Motif.

There is a learning curve with arrangers - once you understand the "arranger" terminology and structure, you will have no problems. As you are already familiar with workstations it should not be too hard. The manuals have a good 70 page "get started" section well worth spending the time.
Quote:
3. Could I use the PA3X more like a sound module with a sequencer ? i.e. with Cubase 6 ?

Absolutely - there is no reason why you cannot use this keyboard as a sound module.
Quote:
4. Are the onboard programs quite editable, similar to keyboard workstations i.e. Kronos, Motif, …etc. ?

Very editable - lots and lots of configuration options - just like a synth.
Quote:
5. Can the PA3X be integrated with a sequencer (i.e. Cubase 6) as a VST instrument via VST-software editor ?

I have not done this with my current PA2XPro. Maybe some other owners of Korg PAs have and can answer that accurately.
Quote:
6. I have listened to some of the Kronos audio via various video and audio demos, and the PA3X seems to offer much better quality and realism, plus I think a richer variety of sounds. Do you agree ? or should I consider the Kronos as an alternative to the PA3X ?

The "Karma" functions on the Kronos can give the illusion that it is an arranger. I guess it is in a minor way in that you can play a backing accompaniment with your left hand and lead with your right but this all depends heavily on the actual configuration of the Karma combi you are playing. Kronos does not have intros, fills, and endings and other style management options. Kronos is definitely NOT an arranger keyboard - if you want an arranger then Kronos is not an alternative option.
Other arranger options for you are Yamaha Tyros 4, Ketron Audya and then there is always Casio Wink
I will not bore with my opinions of those here but am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Personally, from direct experience, I do not believe that there is an arranger keyboard on the market that matches up to Korg's arrangers.

Hope this helps

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
muziksculp

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@karmathanever ,

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

Cheers,

Muziksculp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: