Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound on Sound magazine review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are no fans in Kronos...
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
I think there are no fans in Kronos...

I don't know about fans, but there is at least a fan.
davidnaggar

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Davidb on the fan noise being a concern.

My Oasys (which I've now sold) was loud enough to bother me. I'm happy about the better piano and keybed in the Kronos. I've been waiting to buy the 73 key version. I do want one. But if the fan is "annoying," -- anything audible will likely be annoying to me -- I will not buy one.

I only post this to let Korg know that I'm in favor of them spending a few extra dollars to lessen/eliminate fan noise. As a purchaser, I would gladly pay the extra cost.
brimoore

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Bellevue American Music Kronos party and the Kronos was on and being played for about three hours. I don't remember hearing the fan at all...of course it wasn't a graveyard quiet recording studio.
ScottB601

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now finally downloaded all 63 articles in Sound on Sound "Synth Secrets" series representing 5 years of articles in SOS magazine. They are independent pdf files and do not require internet access to read. I'd be happy to send them to anyone who wants them. PM me if you want the pdfs. I've uploaded them to 'yousendit' and can give you the link. It's a fast download.....but it's only good until beginning of May......

***********This offer has expired because the hosting site deleted my upload after a certain period of time***********

Last edited by ScottB601 on Mon May 09, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidnaggar wrote:
I'm with Davidb on the fan noise being a concern.

My Oasys (which I've now sold) was loud enough to bother me. I'm happy about the better piano and keybed in the Kronos. I've been waiting to buy the 73 key version. I do want one.
But if the fan is "annoying," -- anything audible will likely be annoying to me -- I will not buy one.

I´m afraid nobody has the opportunity to try a Kronos in a quiet environtmen yet, so... Yes, we have no clue at this point about this subject, other than Gordon Reid´s comments in this regard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this fan thing is really getting beyond paranoid/critical.
I had an Oasys also, and for the hell of me I never detected any such problems in my studio and that's with a live mic a couple of feet away..

Maybe some fans were louder than others?
I just turned down the fader on it .. Laughing "come on!"
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to echo this - it's getting a bit "anal" now.

I certainly don't care if there's some fan noise. Why?

1. Kronos will be used live - the fan noise will be the least of my level issues!
2. Studio - IF there's some fan noise, I'll turn the Control Room volume up!

It will also sit there with various other devices' hard drives and fans.

At the end of the day, imho, you shouldn't be getting hung up on a bit of fan noise (if there even is any).
IF the heat is dissipate through the case, again, SO WHAT?! If Kronos is shutting down due to temperature, you've got bigger worries about your ROOM rather than the machine.

The only caveat to this is if there's a grounding issue with the fan, where you hear it down the audio path... that is a NO NO.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
afr

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:

I certainly don't care if there's some fan noise. Why?

1. Kronos will be used live - the fan noise will be the least of my level issues!
2. Studio - IF there's some fan noise, I'll turn the Control Room volume up!

smart solutions for unexisting problems Very Happy
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!! Laughing
Years of practice Wink
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
FGTH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottB601 wrote:
I've now finally downloaded all 63 articles in Sound on Sound "Synth Secrets" series representing 5 years of articles in SOS magazine. They are independent pdf files and do not require internet access to read. I'd be happy to send them to anyone who wants them. PM me if you want the pdfs. I've uploaded them to 'yousendit' and can give you the link. It's a fast download.....but it's only good until beginning of May......

***********This offer has expired because the hosting site deleted my upload after a certain period of time***********

Geez, I would love to have that. Any chance of you upload that in the future, please, let me know!
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly care if there's some fan noise. Why?

My studio is very quiet. Devices with hard drives and fans are located in a technical room.

I have sensitive ears.

I can even hear the hiss of the blue lit display of my Kawai K5000. That hiss bothers me sometimes, although some people swear they cannot hear it (maybe they are drummers...). A technician told me the hiss comes from a small transformer that transforms the mains 220V into the high voltage needed to power the display, he made a little mold with thin cardboard and he cast resin on that component, but that didn't solve the problem; you can hear a similar hiss when you press the 'light' push button of a Casio 'indiglo' watch.

I definitely don't want to turn the Control Room volume up!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever's good for you. Cool
Me? as a pro-engineer, I work out of a great many top-end rooms..... fan noise is a fact of life. I've learnt to blank it out, so it really isn't an issue for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: