Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just picked up my Kronos 61!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
Kronos onboard HELP manual is in English by DEFAULT. The manual says appears to say it can be in Japanese but haven't located how to do that.

Page iii, says onboard help is in English language ONLY.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
jahrome wrote:
Kronos onboard HELP manual is in English by DEFAULT. The manual says appears to say it can be in Japanese but haven't located how to do that.

That's funny because I actually read that...I thought it said English-Japanese only. Wow...need to take a break from reading this manual..
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really take over 2 minutes to boot?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As witnessed by this video, yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoZfd8Kk8gc
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
As witnessed by this video, yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoZfd8Kk8gc

I saw it. I was hoping that was a pre-production version and that the keyboard was in debug mode, or something. Sighhhhhhhh.
sfernald

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
jahrome wrote:

That's funny because I actually read that...I thought it said English-Japanese only. Wow...need to take a break from reading this manual..

You've got to be kidding me! You are the first one get the Kronos on here and you are just reading manual for days at a time? You are killing us!

Give us your review of playing with the thing? How does it sound? Give us an mp3 of you playing that sweet piano or better yet a YouTube of you exploring the thing. And most importantly, throw that english manual up on a file sharing service somewhere for us. It will be put up by someone any second so it might as well be you who gets the glory!

Please have pity on us...
sfernald

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfernald wrote:
jahrome wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
jahrome wrote:

You've got to be kidding me! You are the first one get the Kronos on here and you are just reading manual for days at a time? You are killing us!

Give us your review of playing with the thing? How does it sound? Give us an mp3 of you playing that sweet piano or better yet a YouTube of you exploring the thing. And most importantly, throw that english manual up on a file sharing service somewhere for us. It will be put up by someone any second so it might as well be you who gets the glory!

Please have pity on us...

Oh, you did already get the manual up there for us! Thank you!
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donjuancarlos wrote:

For me it was about 2 minutes and 10 seconds.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
donjuancarlos wrote:

For me it was about 2 minutes and 10 seconds.

I get the same results. I turned off autoload for the PRELOAD.KSC files and Kronos boots up approx 15 seconds faster.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONLY 15 seconds?

Not nearly enough difference... Certainly much less than expected.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is two minutes a long time? With my current configuration, between booting up my laptop, launching Kontakt, and loading the Alicia's Keys piano library it can be well over five or six minutes before I can play without any snap, crackle and pop. Yes my laptop is under powered but 2 minutes seems like a dream to me.
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
Is two minutes a long time? With my current configuration, between booting up my laptop, launching Kontakt, and loading the Alicia's Keys piano library it can be well over five or six minutes before I can play without any snap, crackle and pop. Yes my laptop is under powered but 2 minutes seems like a dream to me.

Which just goes to show, it's all relative.
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:

Do you have SSD drive? It makes really dramatic difference. I actually measured time it takes to boot my PC with SSD and load a big project (20 VSTi tracks with FX, lots of heavy sample libraries, probably something like 20GB of samples used overall), and it is all under 1 minute - from completely powered-down state up to the point when I press play button and the song plays fully smoothly.
I simply cannot understand how is it possible that they installed SSD drive in Kronos and couldn't considerably reduce boot time. Actually I think 2+ mins is even LONGER than was Oasys with its slow HDD... Sad
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:

I simply cannot understand how is it possible that they installed SSD drive in Kronos and couldn't considerably reduce boot time. Actually I think 2+ mins is even LONGER than was Oasys with its slow HDD... Sad

Except that the Kronos is loading in more stuff than the Oasys . . . .
JimH

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be loading a few extra things like a picture of a grand piano, etc. But I think two minutes is long for an embedded system, especially when that doesn't include pre-loading the samples. I'm not a Linux expert, but I know you can configure it to remove things you don't need and make it boot faster. (That was done by someone at my company for our product.) Korg developers are obviously pretty smart and I hope there's room for improvement in the future, although since the ancestry of Kronos is already relatively long with the OASYS....who knows.

It reminds me of something in a PBS documentary called Triumph of the Nerds which is about the history of the personal computer. If you're into computers you gotta see it. There's one part where Apple programmer Andy Hertzfeld is describing how Steve Jobs was trying to get them to reduce the bootup time of the first Mac:

“Steve was upset that the Mac took too long to boot to boot up when you first turned it on so he tried motivating Larry Kenyon by telling him well you know how many millions of people are going to buy this machine - it's going to be millions of people and let's imagine that you can make it boot five seconds faster well that's five seconds times a million every day that's fifty lifetimes, if you can shave five seconds off that you're saving fifty lives. And so it was a nice way of thinking about it, and we did get it to go faster.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: