Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String Resonance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arp_

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
So why should Korg's 'damper resonance' not include notes which are held down other than with the damper pedal?

Because resonance with damper pedal up cannot be sampled like resonance with pedal down, there are too many note combinations, so it has to use some physical/acoustic modeling. And Kronos doesn't do any modeling for pianos, it's only sample playback.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arp_ wrote:
X-Trade wrote:
So why should Korg's 'damper resonance' not include notes which are held down other than with the damper pedal?

Because resonance with damper pedal up cannot be sampled like resonance with pedal down, there are too many note combinations, so it has to use some physical/acoustic modeling. And Kronos doesn't do any modeling for pianos, it's only sample playback.

This is correct.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arp_ wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:
Would you like to share your knowledge with us and tell us why the 'True' Damper Resonance on the KORG Kronos is not "string resonance"?

Kronos has resonance only if you press damper pedal, and it is resonance of all strings at once.
Real piano also has resonance when damper pedal is not pressed, but only those strings resonate which are not damped at a particular moment. I.e. if you hold C3 key, then you release damper from strings on C3 note, and then those strings will resonate. For example, if you then play and quickly release (i.e. play it stacatto) C4 note, then C4 tone will still continue to sound even after you release C4 key, because it will be picked up by resonant strings on C3 note that you are holding.

What you describe sounds like all strings sounding at once ala "damper noise", where KORG says in the description that they use chromatically sampled, with multiple velocity layers for Damper Resonance. Sounds different to me. Hey Dan or Rich! Could we get some help here? Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong. That's not damper noise.

String resonance is HIGHLY DEPENDENT on which keys are PRESSED DOWN without the sustain pedal being pressed (so, that's not "all strings sounding", first and foremost - it's only SOME strings sounding). It's impossible to sample all the possible combinations - it's best done by physical modeling.
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Piano Body/Damper preset in the FX section?

This is where I think the resonance would be done, like the Lexicon string resonance programs.

I'll have to see if it is on my OASYS tomorrow.

Regards,

MM

Last edited by mm-pro on Tue May 24, 2011 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following through a search.

Damper Resonance:
when the damper (sustain) pedal is depressed, Damper Resonance adjusts the sympathetic resonance of the non-played strings when notes are played.

String Resonance:
when the damper pedal isn't depressed, String Resonance adjusts the sympathetic resonance of strings that are un-damped (i.e. their keys are depressed) when other keys/notes are sounded.

Kronos Damper Resonance
I believe the Kronos only supports Damper Resonance, not String Resonance.

Page 386-387 of the Kronos Parameter Guide describes the SGX-1 Tone Adjust parameters. There are two that relate to Damper Resonance:

-- Damper Resonance Enable (turns this component on or off)
- Damper Resonance Level (controlled via a knob)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: