Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEDs for sliders and knobs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

I realize with ALL of that M50 experience under your belt you've got a pretty good handle on sound design, but some of us have been using Korg products since the early 80's and have matured WITH the products. From the Triton onwards, the touch screen interface makes programming a breeze and having a basic understanding of synthesis combined with the logical layout of their programming interface makes manuals pretty useless, unless you don't understand sound design, synth terminology, etc. I also understand Korg products at a hardware level and spend more time reading/studying their service manuals than owner's manuals.

Since this is such a HUGE issue for you, I would recommend you contact Korg Japan directly and lodge a formal complaint that there was an errant paragraph about LED's that don't exist and maybe they can fire somebody or give you a reward or something. Will that make you feel better? And obviously your only point in all of this is to make a HUGE issue out of it. Otherwise, you wouldn't still be obsessing about it. We heard it the first time you said it. We all agree it shouldn't be there. So why do you go on and on about it?

You have no clue WHAT my experience is OR my knowledge of synthesis. Because I put an M50 in my sig because it's what's RELEVANT that means that's all I know? Because I use a Motif as well I must be a presets guy?

Tell ya what, without looking it up tell me how using an lfo modulating an oscillator using a sine wave and then layering that with a second oscillator with an lfo set to cosine (Assuming it were available) would affect the phase of the output signal? If you changed one to the same lfo type as the other and negated one what factors are necessary to null out the signal? Also tell me the implications of using a sampled waveform in the oscillator vs. an analog or va classical waveform and what impact using oscillator sync would have?

Give me the correct answer and I'll give you a cookie. Until then put up or shut up with YOUR assumptions.

Akos, It's not the sentence that means anything to me, it's the principle behind it. I'm being made out to be the bad guy simply because I give a s**t. Whatever...
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

You just don't get it.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen. Let's not let this online format get the best of us. Because I'm pretty sure that if we were sitting around together, in person, maybe having a few beers, and having this exact conversation, we'd all be having a laugh about it and not taking any of it too seriously...
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Laughing

You just don't get it.

I "get it", I just don't agree.

Agree to disagree then?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Agree to disagree then?

Deal. But you have to buy the first round.

Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Akos, It's not the sentence that means anything to me, it's the principle behind it.

I agree with you very much in this. I think Korg too.

Fortunately, this is a harmless blemish in the documentation that is rather funny than serious. Everyone can understand where it is coming from, that's why I think it should be left there as it is - as a memento or just for fun. (I would include smileys and a link to this very thread there.)
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Oh btw, been happily programming for years at my job. And since I have one, my time is precious and I expect accurate manuals.

Honestly the only impression I am getting from this thread is that your time is not particularly valuable, and that you have an enormous amount of free time on your hands - enough that you can argue at length about a problem that we do not even know exists. We all want accurate manuals, but really, you should relax.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
Oh btw, been happily programming for years at my job. And since I have one, my time is precious and I expect accurate manuals.

Honestly the only impression I am getting from this thread is that your time is not particularly valuable, and that you have an enormous amount of free time on your hands - enough that you can argue at length about a problem that we do not even know exists. We all want accurate manuals, but really, you should relax.

Hey, you know how it goes when someone is "Wrong" on the internet!

Seriously though, the moments spent writing in this thread pales in comparison to fixing a real problem, so that's why I'm so passionate about it. The time available at a computer vs. actually being able to sit down at the keyboard is enormous. So when I sit at the keyboard, I want to be as productive as possible aside from having a bit of FUN of course. Hope that give more insight. Anyways...Moving on....
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
Agree to disagree then?

Deal. But you have to buy the first round.

Good enough then!
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Listen, speaking honestly I could CODE the software that runs the Kronos given the necessary information. I have a Masters in Computer Science.

Could not.
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuschooltone, dont sweat it. There's a few old school trolls around these parts.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
Listen, speaking honestly I could CODE the software that runs the Kronos given the necessary information. I have a Masters in Computer Science.

Could not.

Never said I wouldn't need help! Laughing
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Hey, you know how it goes when someone is "Wrong" on the internet!

Yes, I am well acquainted with being wrong on the internet Wink
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone,
I think the larger point for many of us that have been waiting so eagerly for the Kronos is that there's been more than a fair amount of negativity on this forum while we're all waiting.

And while your clamoring about the small mistakes in the K manual is not super serious bashing, it just adds to the pile already there. Many of us have a bad taste in our mouths from a lot of this- we're excited about the K, and then get wave after wave of exaggerated worries, sometimes unfounded fears, occasional outright trolling, and unreasonable expectations.

For many of us (I'll speak for myself), I'm thrilled that Korg has pulled this off. I never took the Oayses seriously 'cause I knew I couldn't afford it. Now it's a possibility, and while I am becoming something of a Korg fan-boy (because they deserve loyalty for the way they've come through), I don't see that as necessarily bad. Hearing people complain excessively and generally look at everything that's wrong, creates a negative, critical environment.

It's all relative. Compared to the Motif XS/XF, the user interface, and the sound quality are in another league all together. I had the Motif XS, and while everything from the documentation to the hardware to the support was all extremely professional and as it should be, I didn't find the board very inspiring at all; designed by engineers, not musicians. Compared to the ill-supported Fantom G, it looks like there are Korg folks onboard that will support this (this is the pet project for many of the top engineers- they're very excited about this board). Etc. Etc. Etc.

Given the business climate, the small size of the keyboard market, and the appalling re-hashing of rompler technology (for the most part) of the other manufacturers, these are very exciting times. Many people in these threads talk about selling off many/most of their keyboards, partly in order to afford the Kronos, but also 'cause it makes many of them redundant.

Korg has had its share of serious complaints, the ones I've heard about were mostly about a promised update to the Oayses that never happened. But historically, from everything i've heard (and experienced as an M3 owner) they typically:
1. Upgrade their OS for their flagships after the release to add important functionality/sounds/etc
2. Maintain some factory support on this forum
3. Manufacture reliable gear
4. Have the most musically friendly UI of any workstation

Beyond that, there will be some problems; but in the scheme of things, Korg is not an Apple that has practically unlimited resources; my understanding is they're a relatively small company. And thankfully Korg USA (I have no idea about Korg Japan) is very supportive.

So beyond that, we take the most-excellent (the Kronos) with the not-so-good (the rough edges), and support one another on this forum to learn this clever bit of music technology and fill in the gaps.

So, even if you have a valid point, being critical about something so relatively minor can have an effect on all of us on the forum, who are already cranky for having to wait so long. But I do understand that being told to shut up when you have a valid point brings out the belligerance and defiance in most of us.

Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ozy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MidnightPackage"]
NuSkoolTone wrote:
when someone is "Wrong" on the internet

there's no such thing!

Everybody's right on the internet.

It's in the contract. When you install Intrernet Explorer or Mozilla, read the fine print: it says "you won't be EVER wrong on the internet, no matter what the topic".

A guy who accidentally aknowledged he was wrong, in March 2007 in Peoria (it was a late afternoon, on a Friday), got his internet privileges withdrawn for his remaining lifetime.

Which was short: he killed himself the following Tuesday.

Irony his, the wednesday after an Appelate Court recognized he indeed was wrong.

His name was Chan Pu Wrong, and he was the son of Korean immigrants.

Sad story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: