Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos pianos youtube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtray187

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: kronos pianos youtube Reply with quote

There have been several kronos piano demos on youtube in the last few days, recorded directly in.
It sure sounds better than my other keybords, but the higher register sounds a little too....... I dont know just funny to me. More like it gets really thin, and planky with way to fast decay.

Im no expert on grand pianos, I really like the warmth of alicias keys, but I do want a hardware solution.

What do you think?
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youtube sound is not always the best one Wink
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent Kronos video that I think sounds excellent:
Kronos Piano

Compare to Alecia Keys here (second example: Boldfinger probably the best):
Alecia Keys

IMO, the Kronos piano is going to work well live and in recordings. It's detailed with excellent clarity. If you're after the sound on the Satie piece which is very muted, I doubt that would be hard to come by on the Kronos piano using velocity bias and EQ. It's easier to mute the sound than to get a brighter/full sound without getting harsh. The Alecia Keys piano doesn't seem nearly as dynamic as the Kronos. You are comparing a 9' Steinway to a 6' Yamaha. I much prefer the sound of the Steinway.

Busch.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are all settings that can be monkeyed with inside the Kronos. Most demos show the Kronos piano with a bright preset with little resonance from the piano box. If you up the box resonance and change the velocity curve so it doesn't go as bright as easily you'll get a mellower fuller sound--good for solos in many genres, not so good for recording with a lot of other instruments, because it takes up too much space inside the mix.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a setting (maybe there is) that emulates when you are sitting at the piano - not so much as a "recording" of a piano; imperfections and all. The lid closing doesn't seems as pronounced as when you are at the grand and you close the lid. In any case we will see.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two modes for the piano ... one from the perspective of the player, and one from the audience.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alicias Keys Yamaha may not sound as "big" as the Kronos Steinway, but it is nice for filling a mix, across different genres, with warm presence. I like using it.
But more than that, I regard the Kronos Steinway as a very universally useable great piano sound, just like the (slightly harder sounding) Kronos Yamaha grand.

Busch, the Kronos video you linked to is not only great sounding, but the nice Evanesque playing style and voicings also make it really shine.

Meanwhile I had the opportunity to spend some hours with a Kronos, and the Kronos pianos, just like the EPianos, simply keep you playing for the pure dynamic feedback and nuances you get from them: these sounds don't become boring, they are kicking alive!
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
I think there are two modes for the piano ... one from the perspective of the player, and one from the audience.

In the Korg Kronos Piano intro vid, the only difference between the two modes was that the stereo channels were reversed.

I think with the options available though, you can create a sound very similar to the Alicia keys sample.

See this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuAxMHxUVTM

I see me using the velocity bias (starting at 3:30) and damper resonance settings quite a bit for a custom piano feel.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Meanwhile I had the opportunity to spend some hours with a Kronos, and the Kronos pianos, just like the EPianos, simply keep you playing for the pure dynamic feedback and nuances you get from them: these sounds don't become boring, they are kicking alive!

Great to hear Jim. I know you were somewhat skeptical.

Busch.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donjuancarlos wrote:
In the Korg Kronos Piano intro vid, the only difference between the two modes was that the stereo channels were reversed.

Yeah, that is what the manual says too. They call it "stereo perspective" with bass notes being on the left in player mode, and on the right in audience mode. Kind of silly really. But yes I agree, with all of the options available it should be easy to create the Alicia's Keys sound. By the way I own the Alicia's Keys library and I love the sound, but it's a beast to load on my laptop and it often takes ten to fifteen minutes to finally settle down before I can play without glitching.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
donjuancarlos wrote:

Yeah, that is what the manual says too. They call it "stereo perspective" with bass notes being on the left in player mode, and on the right in audience mode. Kind of silly really.

+1

Most of the time, a grand piano is placed on stage so that the open lid is turned towards the audience, the strings being (more or less) parallel to the audience. Anyway, from the point of vue of the audience, all the notes, low, medium or high, mix together, they can't be heard coming from one side or another...
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Most of the time, a grand piano is placed on stage so that the open lid is turned towards the audience, the strings being (more or less) parallel to the audience. Anyway, from the point of vue of the audience, all the notes, low, medium or high, mix together, they can't be heard coming from one side or another...

Maybe Korg has a crystal ball and has foreseen that upright grands are going to make a comeback Razz Razz Razz
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

Great to hear Jim. I know you were somewhat skeptical.

Busch.

Let me put it that way:
The playing dynmaics and the editing control are that good, that the few weaknesses can be handled.

For our question then: there definitely is no really 'dry' sounding Rhodes Mk I (with that certain amplified kick and bark in the upper ranges as well) on board: you have to live with those a bit(!) thin and unnatural sounding upper Rhodes keys (musicbox effect) in all the Kronos Rhodes variations, perhaps a bit less in the Mk V. Must be the sampled unit put into modelling.

And the Wurly also does not sound just as authentic as a Scarbee Wurly: it's very close, but not completely there.

BUT:
Looking at all the big advantages (clear and punchy sound, breathtaking dynamics and high customize factor, including effects and amp modeling) these few weaknesses are minor and don't change anything about the fact, that this is simply the best sounding and best playable EP hardware solution I know.

And concerning the playing dynamics, both Rhodes and Wurly are even better than the Scarbees from my view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: