Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many samples comprise the sgx-1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zahush76

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: How many samples comprise the sgx-1? Reply with quote

After looking in the voice name list, i'm a bit confused.
I looked under multisamples (pg 192) - in the sgx-1 engine (EXs6 & EXs7).
I thought i' was going to find one sample of a german grand and one sample of the japanease grand.
Instead i found 81 german piano samples, and 51 japanease piano samples. They are labeled differently. As if a "regular" piano is one thing, and a piano with resonance is another, release is another set of samples, and so on.

Please explain.

Thanks.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got a whole bunch of elements of the sound of a piano. the first 16 look like the main piano sound (what you'd find in any ROMpler, except with 8 velocity layers). and then all the different elements that get faded in along with those first 16 when triggered by different controllers, settings to the SGX-1 engine, mechanical noises, piano tailpieces, that sound when you take your foot off the pedal, the sound when you let go of the keys, etc. i couldn't imagine what "strch" is without actually trying them out, but it looks like everything has multiple velocity layers. pretty cool!
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each of those items listed is a MULTISAMPLE (a set of samples).

For the pianos, each Multisample listed may consist of 88 individual samples (if they sampled every note)

Even with sampling the "regular" piano sound, you are going to have multisamples at different velocity (hardness) levels since the sound is different. The sound of playing Middle C soft is different than playing the same note harder.

Looking at the German D piano, there a multisamples for:
-- Main piano sound (8 velocity levels)
-- Resonance (5 levels)
-- Release samples (2 levels)
-- Damper Up and down
-- Others (I don't know what "strch" denotes)
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
-- Others (I don't know what "strch" denotes)

Strch should denote "stretch" - a remapping of some of the same samples, such that the samples are stretch tuned:

Wikipedia: Stretched tuning is a detail of musical tuning, applied to wire-stringed musical instruments, older, non-digital electric pianos (such as the Fender Rhodes piano and Wurlitzer electric piano), and some sample-based synthesizers based on these instruments, to accommodate the natural inharmonicity of their vibrating elements. In stretched tuning, two notes an octave apart, whose fundamental frequencies theoretically have an exact 2:1 ratio, are tuned slightly farther apart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretched_tuning

At least, that's what I think strch means. Wink

Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in this case, the piano strings can set to be slightly out of tune with each other? i can't think of any other practical use in simulating an acoustic grand piano
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
so in this case, the piano strings can set to be slightly out of tune with each other? i can't think of any other practical use in simulating an acoustic grand piano

That's not the purpose of stretch tuning. I would imagine it is in the article...

Come to think of it, I could be wrong with my assumption of what Korg means by this. I'll have to listen tomorrow... or the next day (being tomorrow is Memorial Day)...it could be that these are multisample maps where each sample has been transposed a few semitones to produce a "brighter" or "darker" piano (by playing the samples a few notes outside of their normal ranges.) Because, normally, most pianos are already stretch-tuned (from the article):

and all solutions involve some stretching of the higher notes upward and the lower notes downward from their theoretical frequencies. In shorter pianos the wire stiffness in the bass register is proportionately high and therefore causes greater stretch; on larger concert grand pianos this effect is reduced. Online sources[2] suggest that the total amount of "stretch" over the full range of a concert grand piano may be on the order of ±35 cents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: