Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Module
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Assuming you were in the market for a Kronos, would you consider a Kronos module?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 30 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 28 ]
It depends on the price
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
It depends on what features are included, and which are left out.
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 72

Muji

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
I feel like I would want to interact with the Kronos too much for it to be in a rack.

Modules don't have to be off in a rack somewhere. Imagine something shaped like the M3-M mounted above your main keyboard (where you will put the Kronos 61). It's all right there - just cheaper and without the keys.

Korg Microkorg
StudioLogic VMK-176+ Keyboard Controller
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
ozy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muji wrote:
JimH wrote:
I feel like I would want to interact with the Kronos too much for it to be in a rack.

Modules don't have to be off in a rack somewhere. Imagine something shaped like the M3-M mounted above your main keyboard (where you will put the Kronos 61). It's all right there - just cheaper and without the keys.

so that you need spending days with a carpenter, trying a way to mount it solidly over a non-flat keyboard. Right.

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kronos's keyboard is not up to par with the triton extremes yamaha keyboard.. joystick is something im not a fan of either.. I would get the module if it was V synth like. I would be okay with the huge design

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much less would a Kronos module, with all of the control surfaces except a keybed, cost - compared with the 61? How much would be saved for the inconvenience of always requiring a keyboard controller? For the M3 the savings looks to be about $300. Does not seem worth it to me. Just buy the K 61 and call it a module. Smile
ozy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
Just buy the K 61 and call it a module. Smile

yes: and I should sit it on top of two other keyboards, which it can't sonically replace. Or leave it standing near the mixer and play it remote (as I did with the ob-8 and the prophet V for some time. Crazy!).

The "rack" or "module" issue is the following:

if a synth is ONE among MANY sound generators it must find a way to occupy a relatively minor space.

And MUST be able to be driven by another keyboard with no, or minor, hassle.

I loved the 01/w prox, I used many of its sound, but it was a huge beast which barred me from using other more efficient synths. It had to go, replaced by its module. I hated selling it, but you can't have two 88s just for the sake of playing some good pads.

I am interested in the kronos, but the moment it asks for me to remove other keyboards, it has to wait.

Like a friend: he is precious, but the moment he starts clogging your phone lines, badmouthing other friends, becoming self-centering and imposing its presence...

... you start seeing him less.

The kronos is good for people who "sell everything to get a kronos".

I NEVER found a keyboard worth "selling everything". Not even the minimoog.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can definitely see that if space is your primary issue then a module will be attractive. Not having a lot of hardware, and not being a gigging musician, space isn't such a problem for me. But point well taken.
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for sure, depending on how its outfitted.
Let's see, would want a minimum six to eight outputs and 4GB sampling RAM.
Four inputs would also be quite useful.
Wouldn't want the usable but antique sequencer (already have one in my Oasys).
Though I won't start another partial studio liquidation in anticipation, I would genuinely be interested in this Oasys II Module, err, I mean Kronos Module, should it materialize.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
I NEVER found a keyboard worth "selling everything". Not even the minimoog.

What? You keep unreliable old crap that can't even play in tune?
ozy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogue stays perfectly in tune. I always check its tuning with a A4 produced by my voice, then with the guitar, and we sound in tune. As we perfectly keep insinc with the drummer.

Sometimes computers, workstation and sequencers are awfully out of tune and out of sinc with us...
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
I would get the module if it was V synth like. I would be okay with the huge design

That's exactly what I think.
___

Please, KORG, whenever you release a rackmount Kronos, make a self contained instrument! I mean an instrument which has real time controllers and which can be fully edited from its own panel, like the Triton Rack or the Yamaha EX5R:

_____ ___ .

Even better, keep a large touch screen like Roland did with their V-Synth XT:

_____

DocAtlas

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woudn't really care if it was rackmount or tabletop, as long as it had all the controllers and display from the keyboard. Like someone else mentioned, I've never cared for Korg's joystick (or Roland's, either), I'd rather use wheels. I don't mind the vector joystick, but not one as my main pitch/mod control.
Korg BX3; Korg Triton (classic) w/MOSS, Studio Essentials & Vintage Archives; Korg N5EX; Korg O3RW; Kurzweil K2600s; Kurzweil 1000GX;Hammond C3 & Leslie 145; Farfisa Fast 3; Sequential Pro-One; Moog Liberation; Emu Proteus 3; Emu Planet Earth w/Vintage Expansion; Roland JV-880; Yamaha Motif Rack; Yamaha DX21; Yamaha TX216; Yamaha TX81Z; Yamaha TG77.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocAtlas wrote:
I woudn't really care if it was rackmount or tabletop, as long as it had all the controllers and display from the keyboard. Like someone else mentioned, I've never cared for Korg's joystick (or Roland's, either), I'd rather use wheels. I don't mind the vector joystick, but not one as my main pitch/mod control.

I agree. I prefer wheels too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: