Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

61 Synth Action, 73 Weighted Suggestions/Opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
I think in your case, wanting just a single keyboard, there is another reason to consider the 73 or the 88. The extra octave will make splits and combi playing much better. However, if this will be your one and only keyboard, I highly recommend spending some time at a weighted keyboard and see how it feels for you. It does take more strength, and some things are more difficult, such as fast leads and organ playing. I would just hate to see you disappointed or frustrated with the action once you get it.

One thing about the extra finger strength, is that I'm not out playing for a few straight hours at a gig. Just writing, recording passes and vocals..
yes for hours at at time but, you know, record this, adjust that, bounce this, do a vocal .. etc.. That's what made me wonder about the benefits if any of the 73 in this setting.
drchris

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the way I landed on the Kronos (88 on order) is that I was shopping mainly for an 88 key weighted instrument. I was looking at stage pianos (like Nord) and considered an M3 before deciding to wait on the Kronos.

I have a smaller semi weighted AKAI MPK 49 which I can use for the semi weighted feel as well. (I've been playing mostly via Ableton Live, so the move to a workstation is different for me.)

The 73 vs 88 decision was not hard, the 88 is $300 more and just at 4 lbs more than the 73. It seems that the potential regret is if I got the 73 since I don't currently own and 88 key instrument.

It's really interesting hearing how different people's needs affect which Kronos they are buying.

Chris
Synthesizedclapping

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been playing weighted all my life and I still find it much more hard than synth keys. The difference is substantial. I'm going with 73 solely fOr the extra octave but I am a pianist at heart so I will be happy with weighted. I find adjusting the velocity curve so you don't have to play hard to trigger notes a good way to play synth on weighted good too. So I assure you you will be fine with 73. Plus you will be thankful you get used to weighted keys because they add to your performance in that it is more expressive. Go with weighted.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with the 73 instead of the 88 because of width. With the 73, I can just throw it in my car's back seat; the 88 is too wide. Kinda wishing the 73 was semi-weighted, though.
rderderian

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up on a baby grand piano, had the Yamaha ES8 and then the Korg M3 88, so I always had the weighted 88. Do go smaller now for any reason would kill it for me. Losing those other 15-27 keys is too limiting to me. Also for multi part split keyboard combinations would be difficult on a smaller board. So of course I ordered the Kronos 88.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
I highly recommend spending some time at a weighted keyboard and see how it feels for you. It does take more strength, and some things are more difficult, such as fast leads and organ playing. I would just hate to see you disappointed or frustrated with the action once you get it.

Thanks, Good point.. I will get my butt to a store a play some weighted keys.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Thanks, Good point.. I will get my butt to a store a play some weighted keys.

Have fun exploring! And if you find the weighted action isn't too difficult for your style of playing, I really do recommend the 73. The extra octave will be nice, and your piano playing will be much more expressive. Either way, I don't think you will be unhappy ... you are getting a Kronos after all Smile
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here Lou - I'm only getting a 61 as I've already got 2 88-note boards...... and a few MIDI cables Cool

You'll love it, no matter what you end up with.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone for the all the comment, suggestions and opinions.
Much appreciated..
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is playing organ on the weighted keys?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: