Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

while waiting for KRONOS... (OT)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: while waiting for KRONOS... (OT) Reply with quote

hello like most of the other forum members I am also waiting for KRONOS, been a while since sold my Korg M3 and PA800, currently using softsynths to keep myself entertained, in my current setup I am using Kore 2 as VST Host, it allows me to load multiple VST's and I can map those VST's anyway I like across the MIDI controller keyboard and I can play them all together via the MIDI controller keyboard, almost same way as combination works in Korg workstations, however I was wondering if these multiple VST's could be synchronized to each other to beat/measure or bar?? so lets say when I trigger drum pattern(which is assigned to C2) utilizing VST 1 and then I would like to add bass line using the VST 2 (which is assigned to D2) but when I hit D2 bass line plays fine but it is not synchcronized to the drum pattern which is playing using VST 1? I am trying to achieve RPPR like scenario, in Korg you can actually choose to sync the various patterns to beat/ measure, does anyone know of any other VST Host which would allow me to do this if KORE 2 can't, I appologize to moderators for posting this question here I tried the other forum but seems like Korg KRONOS forum gets the highest traffic Embarassed
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have returned to my software while waiting on the Kronos.

I use Ableton Live as my VST host. It does a great job of sync-ing all of the VST's together to a tempo. It can map across the keyboard as well, you just have to set each "track" (instrument) to it's region. You can then get combi type results by selecting multiple tracks at the same time.

Often "lite" versions of Ableton come free with midi controllers, etc so you may have a copy of that version laying around if you've bought anything like that lately.

Agreed, apologies if this thread is OT a bit, but waiting for the Kronos seems to be a pertinent topic for now!
Chris
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Ableton Live
It's the ONE for sync'ing VSTs live. It's built for it from the ground up. I know what you're asking. Instead of the VST doing the work (pattern) for you, let Ableton live do the work for you, and the VST is simply the slave. Ableton can launch MIDI clips in sync for the individual keys that you hit.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your help guys, I tried the live it is fantastic however still not able to achieve my case scenario, I will dig into Live manual to see if I am missing anything.. Shocked
drchris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in Ableton Live, if the midi clock is running (i.e. play is pressed and a tempo is running) the VST's will sync with that beat. This means when you play something on a VST that has arps, etc, they will sync with the beat. You can then have drum tracks in Ableton or on other VST's that follow that beat also.

If you want a different effect (the former is what you want to achieve), set a tempo but do not press play (i.e. ableton's beat counter is not increasing), the VST's will follow the tempo but NOT latch to a beat. This is useful in live play situations where you're roughly (but not exactly) matching a tempo that the band is playing. This way you can retrigger an arp every time you play a new note (presumably on the down beat) and resync with the band.

Also, Use the midi Effect called "pitch" to map keyzones in ableton like the kronos does. Don't worry about changing the pitch, but set a lowest note and range of steps for each track that you want to limit to part of the keyboard.

Chris
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris, thank you for your response I tried your suggestions and yes VST's follows the host tempo and are sync to host tempo however the VSTs are not sync togather, I hit the key drum loop is playing fine in perfect sync with host tempo, now when I hit another key where bass arp is assigned there should be a slight delay so the bass arp could catch up to drum loop timing so they can be synched to beat measure or bar in other way currently when I hit bass line it starts playing the bass arp immediately regardless of timing of the drum loop, so each VST is synched to host tempo fine however not synched with each other, I'll try to record some simple examples and post, maybe I am doing something wrong I will check it out further, refer to my original post for details, in RPPR, all the patterns not only follow the host tempo but they all are sync togather as well, anyway the good news is KRONOS is here in US and hopefully I am getting one soon... Very Happy
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played with it a bit more and it seems to be dependent on the particular VST. Rob Papen's Blue behaves like I described, but Sylenth1 and Kontakt do not.

Let us know how things go when you get your Kronos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: