Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini XL to use with Finale 2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aggroman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Mini XL to use with Finale 2011 Reply with quote

Hi ppls! I'm new to this forum as I just bought my mini XL and is so good to play with. Anyway when I bought this keyboard I was told that it was very easy to connect to a Mac( I'm using a MacBook). So I attempted to connect to my Mac via USB. It detected my keyboard but when I use the finale software, I tried to use the miniXL to input. There was no response at all.
Can someone please tell me what am I missing?

PS: I also tried to use midi cables. Crying or Very sad
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I've never heard of a 'Mini XL'. I assume you mean the microKorg XL?

What exactly are you trying to achieve by plugging it in over USB or MIDI?
MIDI is a control data protocol that sends information on your performance so that it can control another synthesizer, or be recorded, modified, and repeated back to what generated.

For example, you can use MIDI to use the MKXL's keys and controllers to play a softsynth in your software.
Or you can record the MIDI onto a MIDI track, modify it to add harmonies, remove mistakes, etc, and then send it back to the MKXL so that it will play again, possibly whilst recording the audio to get an audio recording.

MIDI consists of messages saying which keys you pressed, when you released them, how hard you hit them, which controllers you adjusted, what program number you select, tempo synchronisation data, etc.

A lot of people will connect the MIDI or USB (which on most products today still only carries MIDI over a virtual port) and be able to record the actual sounds that their synthesizer is making. MIDI doesn't do that.
If you want to record your synthesizer, you've got to plug its audio outputs into the audio inputs of your soundcard or external audio interface (USB or FireWire typically). Just like you would do for a guitar or microphone. But preferably in stereo.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
aggroman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yes its the microkorg XL. All I want to do is use the microkorg to punch in notations into finale rather than use the Mac keyboard. I can use garage band with the microkorg but I can't seem to get it to work with the finale program. So what do you think can be wrong? Is it just the finale software itself? So should I get the silibeus program instead to do notation with the microkorg?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: