Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korgs audio midi interface
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
Really I am confused by all this. I just want to make use of this extra input to the UFX. Can I use this Toslink output from the Kronos without messing up my system? Should I begin working at 48000 in my DAW? Any down sides to this? I want Ableton to be the master clock and i want to sync 3 pieces of outboard gear via midi.

Most of Korg's workstations and other digital synths run at 48k internally.
Realistically there is no disadvantage except that you have to reduce down to 44.1 16 bit if you want to make a CD.
running at 48k will also require a tiny amount of extra processing power from any plugins etc and your DAW itself (basically all DSP processes on your computer are required to run 7.9kHz faster). In reality its not much of a problem.

I recently moved up to 48K on my own system, with Ableton and Cubase. Nothing to do with connecting anything external up, just sounded like a good idea at the time.

Additionally for everyone else:
Mac's Aggregate Audio Device functionality does allow you to use more than one interface for inputs and outputs. I recently used such a system to use two different audio interfaces together.
It can be a bit of a pain to set up though.
I think in some cases with people who are only using a small amount of inputs anyway, it might be an idea just to switch to the KRONOS as the main audio interface for the computer.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd post up my aggregate device page, but at work, photosharing sites don't make it thru the firewall. Rolling Eyes

but it DOES work!! Laughing A very well too.

I wouldn't say it's a PITA to set up but, it does take a bit of setting up.

Here's the Apple support setup page for it -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
I'd post up my aggregate device page, but at work, photosharing sites don't make it thru the firewall. Rolling Eyes

but it DOES work!! Laughing A very well too.

I wouldn't say it's a PITA to set up but, it does take a bit of setting up.

Here's the Apple support setup page for it -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

From what you're saying about an aggregate device, leaves me confused.
Let me explain and please correct me..

I have an audio interface (Ensemble) my mic is in 1-2. I also have Kronos USB.
If I'm understanding you correctly, is that in creating the A-Divice, In Logic I can select my mic 1-2 and the USB Kronos say 3-4 in my tracks for in and out?
I'm not doing any clocking and will select the Ensemble as the first device in the list.
Am I correct that I won't have to select and deselect when I want to sing and play Kronos at the same time?
I'm confused as to the Output each will use? Sorry, having a hard time getting my head around this. Thanks.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it won't appear as your labelling: Mic in 1 &2 (ensemble) will appear in Logic's left-hand Inspector window.
Kronos will appear as "Kronos 1&2"
Both Kronos outputs and the Ensemble will then need to terminate to your mixer's line inputs (assuming you're using a mixer and not Active monitors connected to the interface)
Hand no heart, I don't know the exact workings- I don't have a Kronos yet.
But the principle for an aggregate device is the same

I *can* choose any input/output configuration from my 2 interfaces and as long as I'm connected to them (!) they work fine in tandem.

If you've got access to a USB mic, for example, plug it in (as per the Apple instructions) : your signal will get routed thru the mic, and outputted thru your interface.

In fact, you can add the USB mic as another aggregate device too Cool

Do Rich or Dan care to chime in at this point? Some clarification on Kronos' implementation could be useful.

BUT it does work Dancing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

2. Connect TWO S/PDIF Optical cables:
-- Ensemble S/PDIF Optical Out to Kronos S/PDIF In (carries the word clock from the Ensemble to the Kronos)
-- Kronos S/PDIF Out to Ensemble Optical S/PDIF In (carries the digital audio from the Kronos to your Ensemble)

** Alternatively, you could use one S/PDIF cable (from Kronos to Ensemble) if you set the Kronos "System Clock" to Internal (in this situation the Kronos would be the master word clock).

When using S/PDIF to and from my Ensemble, I understand that I am sending Kronos to the AI and Kronos is /will be clocking from the AI.
I was wondering what for any reason, I would want to send audio back to the Kronos for? How could this be used, if any? Or is the return spdif just for clocking.. Please for give me, I think it's an age thing.. Rolling Eyes
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'll be using mine to send my "samples" from Logic/Mainstage to the Kronos (I'm planning on changing from Mainstage to Kronos for my live gigging work) - this will be an easy way to sample the entire sound, rather than loading up the wav file and applying effects from Kronos.

The other one (and I don't know if this will work) is to use Kronos as an effects unit - using spdif to send/return an audio signal from either my digital mixer or from the Mac.......

Might work - don't know yet!! Laughing

There's 2 examples I can think of off the top of my head Smile

Dan
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
For what it's worth, I'll be using mine to send my "samples" from Logic/Mainstage to the Kronos (I'm planning on changing from Mainstage to Kronos for my live gigging work) - this will be an easy way to sample the entire sound, rather than loading up the wav file and applying effects from Kronos.

The other one (and I don't know if this will work) is to use Kronos as an effects unit - using spdif to send/return an audio signal from either my digital mixer or from the Mac.......

Might work - don't know yet!! Laughing

There's 2 examples I can think of off the top of my head Smile

Dan

Sounds good. OK, so you can sample incoming from DAW to Kronos.
Are there any other uses for the return other than clocking?
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:

When I connected my Triton via Toslink, it locked my UFX and Live at 48000. The UFX clock source was set to Word Clock, the Triton was set to Internal. When I set the Triton to S/P DIF I was able to set the UFX to 44100, but the Triton was blinking and said "clock error"

According to what Martin said above, you would then have to connect another cable from the UFX back into the Kronos.
Making the UFX clock master. The error blink will go away..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: