Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos fx limitations....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know this was true to a certain degree for the Tritons (my last Korg workstation was a Trinity), but from my view not for most of the Oasys/Kronos sounds from the different engines.
HD-1 seems to have some older, less qualified sample material which may have that problem (some thin and cheap sound e-guitars and the like), but most Kronos sounds seem to sound best with limited, but conscious effect use.

I don't like overdose effect processing anyway: it makes patches sound very muddy and "cheap" in combi and sequencer context, even if it may sound ok with a single sound.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
On a Yamaha I can only run two insert effects for a part but I can run them in series or in parallel. I'm not sure what I would ever need parallel for, so I'm not complaining about it. It's something I noticed.

A voice is made of up to 4 elements (EX5, Motif, Motif ES) or up to 8 elements (Motif XS, XF).
Parallel insert fx blocks within a voice allow for more flexibility.
For instance, you could route, say, elements 1 and 2 to an amp simulator, and elements 3 and 4 to a flanger.
And there are composite insert fx blocks; e.g. compressor+overdrive+delay, wah+distortion+delay.

This way you can built complex voices. A well programmed Yamaha voice is almost an equivalent of a Korg combi .
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
It seems that most Yamaha/Roland workstations can only use 1 effect for a single voice[...]

That was true 20 years ago (OK, 10 years ago for Roland Wink ). Maybe you should update your knowledge...

Motif XS/XF : 8 parts in a performance have their own insertion fx blocks (insert A + insert B for each of these 8 parts)

Fantom G : each part has dedicated fx, so a patch sounds exactly the same in a live set or in a studio set as in single mode (the Fantom X war more limited, nevertheless it had 3 MFX in performance mode)

michelkeijzers wrote:
[...]whereas Korg workstations can use all insert effects for each program in a combi.

That's not true.

M3 : only 5 insert effects available in a combi.

OASYS : 16 pgms in a combi, 12 insert effects.

About my outdated knowledge regarding for Yamaha and Roland: I completely agree (I found it at a website, which may contain old info).

About the insert effects: what I mean is you can use all of the 5 (or 12) insert effects for all programs ... not set to different types, but you can route all of the 16 programs in a combi through those 5 inserts (or a set of those programs to some of the inserts with some limitations).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I understand what you meant.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers:
What limitations are you refering to?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
michelkeijzers:
What limitations are you refering to?

At least on the M50 you can use 5 inserts and redirect the output of the first to the second, from the second to the third etc. For each program in a combi you can select to which insert it should be redirected (so you can use multiple programs redirected to e.g. insert 2). Insert 2 may be redirected to 3. However, it's not possible to use only insert 2 (without insert 3) for a program and use insert 2 AND 3 for another program. Either one or more programs are redirected to both 2 and 3 OR to another insert (or to a non insert). However, it is possible to redirect programs to insert 2 (which is redirected to 3) and redirect (an)other program(s) to only 3.

I try to display it below:

Combi is using prg1 and prg2.

Possible:
prg1 -> insert 2 -> insert 3 -> main/total effects or L/R
prg2 -> insert 2 -> insert 3 -> main/total effects or L/R

Possible:
prg2 -> insert 3 -> main/total effects or L/R

Not possible:
prg2 -> insert 2 -> main/total effects or L/R

The last example shows the limitation.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: