Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos sound quality vs. Oasys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Kronos sound quality vs. Oasys Reply with quote

Since the Kronos is largely an Oasys under the hood, I'm curious if people are finding any significant differences/improvements in the quality of the sounds vs. what already existed on the Oasys?

Are the pianos better? worse? The organ patches? etc.
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had the oportunity to compare. But I'm allmost certain that the Pianos are better on Kronos, since there is a dedicated engine for Piano for this purpose. But among bread and butter sounds I do not know, except that there are many sounds that comes from Oasys, that are also on the Kronos.
Hope for an answer from an owner of both keyboards. Smile
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an OASYS owner and not a Kronos owner but already it is known that the Kronos SGX and EP1 pianos will be in a different league to those on board the OASYS.

Also - since I believe a lot of the signal path is at a bit depth of 24 bits, there should be greater dynamics available - especially on newly samples packages that are not on the OASYS (unless they were all recorded at 16 bits?). I would very much like someone form Korg to be comment on the plausible extension in dynamic range the Kronos might deliver in performance and recording on this front.

Finally, since the D-A converters are newer and possibly 24 bit too, then you'll potentially get better dynamics at this juncture.

Overall, I'd expect the Kronos to sound very much like an OASYS but with a bit more fidelity to it (or - 8 bits more fidelity!)

There are probably other improvements - for example - having two processors and improved MIDI timing will lead to punchier, tighter recording, Karma performances and wave sequencing; while the use of two processors shared across effects and synth voices will mean lower latency on key note-on for large layered voices AND potentially richer reverbs, among other effects.

So despite the concern on the physical controls issues; audio wise this will be something special - and is most noticeable when you push it to deliver top-notch recording - it will keep delivering even when pushed very hard - even my OASYS has worked exquisitly within jobs using the very best sample libraries and the like; and has held its own within the most demanding scenarios - I expect Kronos to be superlative too - and significantly superior to OASYS - in this department. Have no worries in this regard.

Kevin.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Finally, since the D-A converters are newer and possibly 24 bit too, then you'll potentially get better dynamics at this juncture

Not sure about that. This issue was much discussed when the Kronos was first announced, and as far as I remember, there were several "official" postings here, by RichF and Dan, stating that the converters on the Kronos were identical to those on the Oasys. And that's certainly good enough for me!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Also - since I believe a lot of the signal path is at a bit depth of 24 bits, there should be greater dynamics available - especially on newly samples packages that are not on the OASYS (unless they were all recorded at 16 bits?). I would very much like someone form Korg to be comment on the plausible extension in dynamic range the Kronos might deliver in performance and recording on this front.

Finally, since the D-A converters are newer and possibly 24 bit too, then you'll potentially get better dynamics at this juncture.

Overall, I'd expect the Kronos to sound very much like an OASYS but with a bit more fidelity to it (or - 8 bits more fidelity!)

Both the OASYS and KRONOS have 32-bit floating-point internal signal paths and 24-bit D/A.

The KRONOS does support 24-bit HDR, an improvement over the OASYS's 16-bit HDR.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: