Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a second keyboard on the organ module

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Using a second keyboard on the organ module Reply with quote

I was brought up playing organ. I have a Hammond A100 that I play out in a band along with several other keyboards. Checked out the parameters guide for the CX3 Tonewheel organ, and while it shows how to set the keyboard up for a split keyboard, there doesn't seam to be a way to Midi a second keyboard up to do the lower manual. Am I missing something there, or do I have to do a second instant of the CX3 to do another manual?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always use a combi using two different CX3 patches, one for each keyboard, or is this considered a dirty trick?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
You can always use a combi using two different CX3 patches, one for each keyboard, or is this considered a dirty trick?

No thats considered smart

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

The problem with this is that your running two leslie simulators, one for each keyboard. I suppose you could set the leslie parameters up identical so it would sound like one leslie, but it seams like it would be a lot easier to be able to use one patch. Seams like an oversight on Korg's part. Maybe they'll take care of that in the OS upgrade.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

The problem with this is that your running two leslie simulators, one for each keyboard. I suppose you could set the leslie parameters up identical so it would sound like one leslie, but it seams like it would be a lot easier to be able to use one patch. Seams like an oversight on Korg's part. Maybe they'll take care of that in the OS upgrade.

Actually copying it will only cost a bit of time ... but it might be possible that if you use two different leslies, that one leslie is not in phase with the other. i don't know how much this would influence the sound, but of course it would not be like a real dual manual organ.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
phattbuzz wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Actually copying it will only cost a bit of time ... but it might be possible that if you use two different leslies, that one leslie is not in phase with the other. i don't know how much this would influence the sound, but of course it would not be like a real dual manual organ.

The Leslie simulation is also available as in insert effect so it seems feasible to me that you could route both CX-3 patches into a single insert effect. It's worth a try...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
phattbuzz wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

The Leslie simulation is also available as in insert effect so it seems feasible to me that you could route both CX-3 patches into a single insert effect. It's worth a try...

Yes this is possible.

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or u can use it as a total our master effect....

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
phattbuzz wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

That is the "official" way to do it. From the Kronos Parameter Guide, page 936:

"If you’re layering two CX‐3s together, you may wish to use 133: Rotary Speaker as an IFX (insert effect) for both Programs together, instead of using the Rotary Speakers within the individual Programs"

They discuss that in terms of using the "Match CX-3 Tone" parameter.

Though being able to assign a different MIDI channel to the lower half of a Split sounds like it certainly would have been simpler!

Personally, I'd probably just use the two different Leslie fx and leave it at that. In the "real world" all kinds of variations work. People have taken single Hammonds and run them through two Leslies simultaneously. I'm pretty sure Emerson would sometimes stand between two parallel Hammonds and play one on his left and one on his right at the same time, presumably going through two different Leslies...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: