Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bananas at Large! Kronos demo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Bananas at Large! Kronos demo Reply with quote

Very nice people in this Northern California music store- not dickish at all! (sorry, the name of this store lends itself....)

Rich did a great job of presenting a 61 note K. They had a wonderful sound setup: 2- QSC K8's, and the new KW sub: big beautiful, clear sound. I was expecting it to sound good, but with the great sound system it was really room filling- a rockin' keyboard player could keep everyone hoppin' with this board and these speakers.

The pianos sounded just wonderful, and he demo'd several features I hadn't noticed before:
- a compressor that lessened the dynamics without having weird artifacts
- an intensity parameter that was like a continuously variable velocity curve

Both of these new parameters sounded very useful and musical. I loved the Pat Metheny space verb(overb) patch a lot.

The store owner made a good case for buying local, even said he'd match prices including no sales tax if thats what it took, and mentioned the money the store donates locally. Personally, I try to buy locally as much as possible, I love having someplace I can kick the tires and (possibly) talk to someone knowledgeable.

Another Korg guy there said the first batch of Kronii have sailed, saying it takes several weeks, but there's customs, etc. so it'll be more than that. The first batch of K will be 61's, with the weighted boards coming a month (?) later. Rich was quick to affirm that nothing was known at this time for sure.

The unit looks very substantial. The screen, on a 61, is huge, and while the type is small, I was still able to read it OK without my reading glasses. The side end caps look, to my eyes, like the Nord Stage end caps, except in this case they're a shiny, glossy black. An understated bit of flash there-

Being in front of a living representative of what often seems like a megalithic corporation, I felt an urgency to impress upon him my most pressing request:

A Kronos version of the Nord Stage Compact!

To me at least, this seems like a no-brainer.
Given that:
> The Kronos is going to be a runaway best seller (therefore having many offspring)
> That there's no 73/77 note semi-weighted version
> That the current 73 and 88 note version are 44 and 50 pounds respectively (and with your typical 25-30 pound roller bag, that's 70-80 pounds dead lift going up stairs- ugh!)

Based on that, it seems quite obvious (esp. to me) that a 77 note Kronos would sell like pancakes (or waffles, or ice cream on a hot day, or...) if

> It was under 30 pounds!!!! Yes!!!! Say its so!!!

> If the joystick was on top! Just say no to aircraft carriers disguised as keyboards; not so bad on the 61 note, but that's the reason I'll be getting the 73 and not the 88- just TOO DAMN LONG!

> If the note range went DOWN TO C- please, DOWN TO C! (I'd prefer even lower, but heh, C would be great!)

Now before you scolders out there start bawling me out for wishing for something different before the original has even arrived- well, go ahead I guess. We all do what we're gonna do, just like I'm writing this post.

But I do believe in this. I don't use soft synths, I want a "real" keyboard for live use that's gig friendly. Almost all the elements are in place now (another sweep pedal input would be nice, but that would be a different board).

What I'm suggesting is not that far fetched- they managed to get the 61 note down to 27 pounds!!! That's lighter than the M3, and this baby has a solid aluminum body.

Anyhoo- after obsessing on the Kronos for these last coupla months it was great to see it in person- can't wait for the Kronos to arrive!

Last edited by Randelph on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Was it the San Rafael store you went to?
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting a video! Anyway, good report, with a few new tidbits.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
I was expecting a video! Anyway, good report, with a few new tidbits.

Keep checking youtube, I'm sure somebody filmed it.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph, nice post. It's very agreeable to me because I can't wait to get my Kronos 61 w/ my existing QSC K8s. They are a great system for keys, if anyone cares. You're also right about boat-sized boards. I got sick of gigging five-foot long keyboards that weigh 80+ pounds in a case. I would love a great 'board like the Kronos in a 76-key, A-C configuration w/ the pitch stick above the keys. I guess I'll live w/ the K61 and my Numa Nano. Smile
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the "special" pre-order prices were?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bananas at Large! Kronos demo Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:

Given that:
> The Kronos is going to be a runaway best seller (therefore having many offspring)
> That the current 73 and 88 note version are 44 and 50 pounds respectively (and with your typical 25-30 pound roller bag, that's 70-80 pounds dead lift going up stairs- ugh!)

Based on that, it seems quite obvious (esp. to me) that a 77 note Kronos would sell like pancakes (or waffles, or ice cream on a hot day, or...) if

> If the joystick was on top! Just say no to aircraft carriers disguised as keyboards; not so bad on the 61 note, but that's the reason I'll be getting the 73 and not the 88- just TOO DAMN LONG!

> If the note range went DOWN TO C- please, DOWN TO C! (I'd prefer even lower, but heh, C would be great!)

Now before you scolders out there start bawling me out for wishing for something different before the original has even arrived- well, go ahead I guess. We all do what we're gonna do, just like I'm writing this post.

But I do believe in this. I don't use soft synths, I want a "real" keyboard for live use that's gig friendly. Almost all the elements are in place now (another sweep pedal input would be nice, but that would be a different board).

What I'm suggesting is not that far fetched- they managed to get the 61 note down to 27 pounds!!! That's lighter than the M3, and this baby has a solid aluminum body.

Anyhoo- can't wait for the Kronos to arrive!

This is exactly the reason I'm having second thoughts of purchasing the Kronos. 61 keys simply won't do. Put a Kronos 73 and case together and you're talking hernia for the old guys like me. I'm ready with the cash, I just wish they had a 73 semi-weighted C-C like the M3. I might just wait until next year to see if they release anything more weight friendly.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bananas at Large! Kronos demo Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
This is exactly the reason I'm having second thoughts of purchasing the Kronos. 61 keys simply won't do. Put a Kronos 73 and case together and you're talking hernia for the old guys like me. I'm ready with the cash, I just wish they had a 73 semi-weighted C-C like the M3. I might just wait until next year to see if they release anything more weight friendly.

Well this 'old guy' is really looking forward to getting a 73 'cos it's a weighted keybed and is still a considerable amount lighter than my current M3-88! Wink
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the report. Was it the San Rafael store you went to?

Yes, with the unusual name of "Bananas At Large"!

Zeroesque wrote:
Quote:
Randelph, nice post. It's very agreeable to me because I can't wait to get my Kronos 61 w/ my existing QSC K8s. They are a great system for keys, if anyone cares.

You're also right about boat-sized boards. I got sick of gigging five-foot long keyboards that weigh 80+ pounds in a case. I would love a great 'board like the Kronos in a 76-key, A-C configuration w/ the pitch stick above the keys. I guess I'll live w/ the K61 and my Numa Nano. Smile

Thanks. Yeah, they sounded great. It helped of course having that MASSIVE QSC KW subwoofer- wouldn't want to move that by myself! As far as small, inexpensive and powerful keyboard speakers go, another good bet is the RCF 310A, which are on closeout now: 10" speaker, hi-fi sound (rated as highly or even more so than the K8s by most on HC's Live Sound forum), built-in amp: $400!!! And they weigh 27 pounds!

Yeah, I gig weekly with my Nord Stage 88, and dead lifting about 70 pounds up long flights of stairs I just tell myself over and again, "This the price of being a keyboard musician! Deal with it!". And at 40 pounds and with the joystick on top, it already is a best case scenario for a weighted keybed.

At 22 pounds and 51" wide, the Numa Nano looks great- should be able to fit that into many 76 note gig bags. How do you like the feel? Is the case metal?

Yeah, I'm with you on the low A; but if I had my druthers, it'd also go up to the E, making it an 80 note board. Ya know... if the joystick is on top, there's room for a few more keys!

McHale wrote:
Quote:
Do you know what the "special" pre-order prices were?

Sorry, didn't ask as I wasn't ready to buy. But as I indicated, he was willing to match prices, including no sales tax. He was also indicating in a friendly way that they're good guys and place to build a long-term relationship with. They're 45 minutes away from SF for me, but I'll probably buy my Kronos from them.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops- forgot an important detail- Rich said he timed his bootup at 1 minute 43 seconds, and considerably shorter with fewer EXis. He mentioned that was pretty quick considering that over a gig was being loaded up!
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Ooops- forgot an important detail- Rich said he timed his bootup at 1 minute 43 seconds, and considerably shorter with fewer EXis. He mentioned that was pretty quick considering that over a gig was being loaded up!

It's still enormous boot time! I don't even imagine what it can even do for 1 minute and 43 seconds!
To load 1GB+ of data should take just a few seconds with an SSD. Kontakt 4 preloads 10GB piano library for streaming in about 1 second (again, on an SSD drive). There is no reason at all that closed system in Kronos could not be optimized to load data just as fast.
BananAlan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bananas at Large! Kronos demo Reply with quote

Hi Randelph
I am sorry for the slow reply to this thread. I just now saw it. I wanted to send a personal THANK YOU for the very kind words you wrote about my store, staff and me. We really do try our hardest to make customers happy not just with pricing but with honest hard work and service. We know people have a lot of choices of where to shop and that saving sales tax is a strong enticement. But we do believe in supporting local, and we dont mean just about buying with us. We back that up through our Community Action Program that gives back tens of thousands of dollars every year to our schools and non-profit programs in the Bay Area. I let people know, you wont spend more but your money will go further. I think in this day and age and the times we live in, people care now more then ever how their hard earned money is used. A few bucks here or there is less important then how its used. Maybe thats just me and my ideals? More fun to live that way I think. Makes coming to work feel better.
Anyway, thank you so much for coming down and spending your time here, and thank you again for the nice support on here.
-Alan

Randelph wrote:
Very nice people in this Northern California music store- not dickish at all! (sorry, the name of this store lends itself....)

Rich did a great job of presenting a 61 note K. They had a wonderful sound setup: 2- QSC K8's, and the new KW sub: big beautiful, clear sound. I was expecting it to sound good, but with the great sound system it was really room filling- a rockin' keyboard player could keep everyone hoppin' with this board and these speakers.

The pianos sounded just wonderful, and he demo'd several features I hadn't noticed before:
- a compressor that lessened the dynamics without having weird artifacts
- an intensity parameter that was like a continuously variable velocity curve

Both of these new parameters sounded very useful and musical. I loved the Pat Metheny space verb(overb) patch a lot.

The store owner made a good case for buying local, even said he'd match prices including no sales tax if thats what it took, and mentioned the money the store donates locally. Personally, I try to buy locally as much as possible, I love having someplace I can kick the tires and (possibly) talk to someone knowledgeable.

Another Korg guy there said the first batch of Kronii have sailed, saying it takes several weeks, but there's customs, etc. so it'll be more than that. The first batch of K will be 61's, with the weighted boards coming a month (?) later. Rich was quick to affirm that nothing was known at this time for sure.

The unit looks very substantial. The screen, on a 61, is huge, and while the type is small, I was still able to read it OK without my reading glasses. The side end caps look, to my eyes, like the Nord Stage end caps, except in this case they're a shiny, glossy black. An understated bit of flash there-

Being in front of a living representative of what often seems like a megalithic corporation, I felt an urgency to impress upon him my most pressing request:

Given that:

Anyhoo- after obsessing on the Kronos for these last coupla months it was great to see it in person- can't wait for the Kronos to arrive!

1504 4th St.
San Rafael CA 94901-2713
415-457-7600

Bananas Music Santa Rosa
515 Ross St.
Santa Rosa, CA 94501

info@bananasmusic.com
www.bananasmusic.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: