Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Smooth Sound Transition (SST) and

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Question about Smooth Sound Transition (SST) and Reply with quote

I'm wondering if when I have a Kronos I could go back from 2 keyboards to one.

Currently I'm using a Korg M50 and Triton Extreme as 'slave' connected via MIDI. Audio is only produced by the M50.
But I want to go down to one (Kronos).

Now I was wondering, with the Kronos having SST would it be possible to:
- Selecting a hammond patch
- Making a slide from the lowest key to a chord in the upper region) and either keep the keys pressed or use a hold pedal.
- Selecting a different patch with the lower half piano and the upper half the same sound as the hammond I made the slide with and continue play.

I assume I would keep hearing the hammond sound?

Or did I miss something?

(btw, are there people who have or are going to switch from two to one keyboard and what problems they run into)?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's better to keep pressing the keys of the first sound if you can (how many hands do you have ? Wink ) then engaged the second sound. using the hold pedal will sustain the first sound while playing the second one, BUT, the second one will be sustained too l since the pedal is pressed BUT! ( Laughing ) you can work around this by preparing your patch before et make sure it won't respond to the pedal (uncheck the "enable damper" box in the program midi filter tab). I hope i'm clear enough Laughing
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
it's better to keep pressing the keys of the first sound if you can (how many hands do you have ? Wink ) then engaged the second sound. using the hold pedal will sustain the first sound while playing the second one, BUT, the second one will be sustained too l since the pedal is pressed BUT! ( Laughing ) you can work around this by preparing your patch before et make sure it won't respond to the pedal (uncheck the "enable damper" box in the program midi filter tab). I hope i'm clear enough Laughing

Yes you are clear, however, when I want to make a slide with the hammond over the whole keyboard while keeping the previous combi alive. And after that I go to another patch making it possible to continue playing hammond with my right hand and e.g. piano with my left hand. But since I need to slide my hand for the hammond sound over the complete keyboard (well almost), I cannot hold those keys with the previous sound/combi.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multikeyboard setup is always good. Even SST won't cure everything and sometimes its just not very practical to be changing patches that quickly.

You can still sell both of your boards - just get a cheaper MIDI controller as the 2nd controller.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
A multikeyboard setup is always good. Even SST won't cure everything and sometimes its just not very practical to be changing patches that quickly.

You can still sell both of your boards - just get a cheaper MIDI controller as the 2nd controller.

Well I don't want to sell them both, since it's nice to keep one in the rehearsal room and one here if needed.

I really would have to try it out if it would work, but IF it works I will need some more programming work I guess and as you say: changing patches so quickly might not be practical.

aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you do this with 2 keyboards (hands and foot pedal-wise?)

Maybe you could use 2 footswitches and do the same but with one keyboard?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 10 foot switches (on my Behringer), so that's not the problem.

with two keyboards I would use the hammond on one keyboard and another sound on the other. But with only one keyboard I have to use the SST and some program change(s) to make it possible.

aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I guess I was asking - ok so you do the sweep on the top keyboard - now to sustain it, do you keep your hand on there or use a foot switch?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Sorry I guess I was asking - ok so you do the sweep on the top keyboard - now to sustain it, do you keep your hand on there or use a foot switch?

Currently I have two keyboards, so I have Hammond on one keyboard and strings/voice on another. I can slide with one hand, keeping it there, and even play the other keyboard meanwhile. However if I have one keyboard, I cannot play them both, so I could slide the Hammond and meanwhile sustain the other sound (at least, that was an idea). And afterwards go to a new patch to split the keyboard in half (half string/voice/wahtever and half Hammond).

aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the answer is yes.
Here's how I did it.
I used the Karma layers trick. I put a string sound on slot 1 in a combi, organ on slot 2 with damper set OFF, brass sound on slot 3 (could have been a split etc).

So I play my strings, then hold the sustain pedal down. I turn OFF the karma button for the strings and select my organ.

I gliss up to the chord and hold it down.

I then select the Karma button for my 3rd sound (brass in this case), and I start playing.

Everything works as you expect.

What I didn't expect was that I think there's no way to disable damper (sustain) in program mode. hmmmm.........
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying it!

I think to be able to switch off the damper in combi mode should work too.

I haven't tried Karma yet (my current synths do not have that). I guess with different combis it shoudl work and otherwise I also can use my midi footswitches to be assigned to the karma switches and use the 'karma trick'.

Thanks for trying.

aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. This keyboard is amazing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: