Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My review of the Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
robbinhood wrote:
I will also gripe with those who say the display could use some bigger buttons... the text is NO issue

Absolutely IS an issue, when you reach a certain age!

I'm in the camp of people who need distance glasses. I actually do have a reading prescription and continuous-focus lenses on my glasses, but for close-up work I mostly just take my glasses off. At this point, large displays make a real difference for me, and not for the sake of multiple pages. On the current KRONOS display, I'm okay (but not by much) with no glasses, but it's hopeless when the glasses are on (that is: when my vision is allegedly corrected for reading). I personally find the fonts on the voice/performance selection charts a little small. Speaking for myself, I think I would find it helpful to be able to raise the font size in that list-menu.

On giving them a close look, I can't convince myself that anti-aliasing is enabled on those menus. If not, I'm sure that would help some people, but not all, and probably not me.

Can't say that I have an opinion yet about the text size and/or readability around on-screen controls, except to note that if you can read those at all then Korg is doing way better than most of the VSTi designers out there. Gah.

A bunch of people have also noted the horizontal line glitch while scrolling through the menu. I mention it because it definitely does compound the problem for readers who are struggling to read the text.

Anyway, since some people here apparently think I'm a Japan-basher Confused, I may as well go for the all-forum ageism award as well:

All you insensitive young'uns should quit twitting the old farts, get off yer duffs, and go play the beast. But turn it up, will ya? My hearin's on the way out too, my tinnitus is acting up, and it would be nice to have some background music - even if it's yer damned tasteless kiddie junk - while us old'uns sit and bitch about our eyesight. Just remember: we need you kids to carry the burden of our health insurance costs over these next 20 years, and if you ain't working then you ain't contributing.

For the record, I actually do have tinnitus, and the "damned tasteless kiddie junk" is just plain truth plainly spoken Wink, but I plan to pay my own insurance.

Heck, with my luck I'll probably get thrown off the forum for cruelty to Boesendorfers.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
shap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
Dude they glue it on factory!

Actually, I looked before I put the one my son pulled off back on the demo unit. I saw no evidence of glue anywhere, and the outer part of the joystick slid smoothly onto the base with no sign of tension or resistance. The manufacturing tolerances are pretty tight if there were going to be glue in there. I didn't see any sign of glue residue (like if the glue were missing) either.

Hey, but I also find the display text a bit on the small side, so maybe this doesn't mean much. Smile
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
robbinhood wrote:
Dude they glue it on factory!

Actually, I looked before I put the one my son pulled off back on the demo unit. I saw no evidence of glue anywhere, and the outer part of the joystick slid smoothly onto the base with no sign of tension or resistance. The manufacturing tolerances are pretty tight if there were going to be glue in there. I didn't see any sign of glue residue (like if the glue were missing) either.

Hey, but I also find the display text a bit on the small side, so maybe this doesn't mean much. Smile

Shap dont feel like alone on the text size.. I agree 100% as I have to wear reading glasses to see the text and small number in the boxes. Too bad it isnt adjustable either. I guess the Japanese/Italian engineers that designed this have 20/15 vision.. Try tilting your keyboard on the stand as this has helped me a little.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes aren't all they once were either (and neither is my memory).
I tried using a laptop, placed to the side of my keyboard rig, to have lyrics available in a large font. I found it was too close to use my distance glasses and too far to read without them. So I was a bit excited when I read in the Kronos Operation Manual that you could store lyrics (notes) along with the patch. Then I became disenchanted when I realized the actual small area of the screen that the notes are on. Wish there was a way to zoom in on that area.

That being said, from all I've read, Kronos is still the keyboard for me. Maybe in 5 or 6 years when they release their new flagship, all of these issues we talk about now will be addressed. Cool
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: