Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Individual Audio Outputs 1/2 can mirror L/R mains?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Individual Audio Outputs 1/2 can mirror L/R mains? Reply with quote

Another KRONOS question.....

How can I set up GLOBALLY so that the Audio Outputs 1 and 2 (individual outputs) will mirror L and R main outs, without having to separately edit each individual program or combi. Can it be done?

Thank you for any feedback!
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Global mode and Audio page

On the far right side is the Audio Out - change to ! / 2

Then Save the Glbal Setting (Main drop dpwn menu)
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will that switch the output from LR to 12, or duplicate the LR output at 12? I need both to sound at once.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, answering my own question. I was away from home, just got back and demo'd it, and it works as I had hoped. Mirrors the L/R outputs. Perfect! Thanks! Setting up a global effects loop into my Eventide H7600. The K through Eventide is like a dream!!!!
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious. How do the Kronos on-board effects compare to a processor like the Eventide?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do the Kronos on-board effects compare to a processor like the Eventide?

Great question, and I too was eagerly waiting to A/B test some of the effects to see that when I got my new KRONOS.

First off....Eventide just rules! It has a voice, a color, all its own, and for sound design (particularly of the ambient variety, which I do a lot of), it stands alone.

That being said....I am extremely impressed with the KRONOS effects. The only area where I am left less that completely satisfied, as compared to the Eventide, is the reverbs. But frankly that is to be expected, as Eventide reverbs are historic and unique. The O-Verb on KRONOS is fantastic! As a general reverb, I feel it is perhaps the best reverb in any hardware synth that I have heard, by a long mile. The ONLY exception to that, perhaps, is the Access Virus TI, which also has kick ass verb.

But what I have learned about verbs, is a few things.....

1. A VERY subjective topic on who likes what. YMMV.
2. Verbs come in many different flavors, but generally fall into two categories, IMH experience... Ambience Verbs and Color Verbs. Your ambient verbs emulate a space. Your color verbs create almost a synth patch of their own, and are more useful for creative sound and mixing design.

The O-Verb (and the others on the K) are best suited for Ambience. The O-Verb does some impressive things, such as shown with the Infinite Space preset, or the Dreamy Reverb preset....these approach color verb territory. The Eventide does both Ambience and Color, yet its verbs are better suited to color verb styles, and some of them (BlackHole for example) are stunning.

The KRONOS pads, especially the MOD-7, STR-1, and AL-1 pads, through BlackHole and other Eventide presets, turns the KRONOS into something else altogether. Amazing!!! This is why I am seeking to set up a permanent effects loop into it.

In every OTHER way, the KRONOS effects I find to be on par with Eventide, both in quantity and quality. Granted, the H7600 has THOUSANDS of presets, some of which are effects chains that are highly creative and stunning. Its in those chains that the magic is, and of course the presets make that a pleasurable and creative process to discover. Many of the same chains can be made in KRONOS with its 12 slots......but you have to do the work. I think you could emulate quite effectively most of the effects presets in the Eventide, but it would be quite a bit of work to do so.

I recently received the new Eventide SPACE reverb pedal. May I just say, for anyone interested in this topic, or Eventide effects, who may have been put off by the tall price tag of Eventide's PRO processors....this SPACE pedal is utterly amazing, and side by side with the H7600 it has all of the flare and flavor of its Eventide verbs, with 100 presets (utterly great presets!), and it works as a compact, highly editable outboard processor for synths, etc, as well as guitar. At only (est) $500 USD, its a steal, IMHO.
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it also be possible to set it up in such a way that outputs 1 and 2 mirror the main stereo out but without being affected by the volume knob? This would be great since it would allow to send a signal to FOH at a fixed level while at the same time being able to also send an adjustable signal to a monitor wedge.

In that case I could probably do without an additional sub-mixer on stage. Would be nice!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fleshing this out now. Exactly, to be an effective effects loop, its best if it has a dedicated Send and Return fader. You can definitely do this with external gear between your KRONOS and your Effects processor (or FOH board).....but it would be great to have this flexibility in the instrument.

I can see where you could have the Effects return come into the AUDIO IN jacks, and there is ample mixing and routing power to hand that aspect of the return. But not sure about the "send" through the external outs. Is there a separate fader somewhere for those?
JimH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
I recently received the new Eventide SPACE reverb pedal. May I just say, for anyone interested in this topic, or Eventide effects, who may have been put off by the tall price tag of Eventide's PRO processors....this SPACE pedal is utterly amazing, and side by side with the H7600 it has all of the flare and flavor of its Eventide verbs, with 100 presets (utterly great presets!), and it works as a compact, highly editable outboard processor for synths, etc, as well as guitar. At only (est) $500 USD, its a steal, IMHO.

Yes I'm curious and interested in the Eventide sound and am definitely put off by the price of the pro level processors. Thanks for that post. I'll look into it. (Oh no, not more gear lust....I thought I was done for a while after Kronos.)

Regarding the effects loop thing, I was just trying that out. If you globally assign the L/R bus to individual outs 1&2, it's true that the level is then not controlled by the master volume knob. But then when you bring the effects return back into the Audio Inputs 1&2, how do you get that to the main output without going through the L/R bus again, creating a feedback loop? I guess you could route Audio Inputs 1&2 to Individual Outputs 3&4 instead and use that as your main output, if you don't mind giving up Total Effects and the use of the main volume knob.
Why not just route patches individually through the Eventide? Then you can send them to Individual 1&2, return through Audio Input 1&2, and rout that to the L/R bus.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
RonF wrote:

Yes I'm curious and interested in the Eventide sound and am definitely put off by the price of the pro level processors. Thanks for that post. I'll look into it. (Oh no, not more gear lust....I thought I was done for a while after Kronos.)

Regarding the effects loop thing, I was just trying that out. If you globally assign the L/R bus to individual outs 1&2, it's true that the level is then not controlled by the master volume knob. But then when you bring the effects return back into the Audio Inputs 1&2, how do you get that to the main output without going through the L/R bus again, creating a feedback loop? I guess you could route Audio Inputs 1&2 to Individual Outputs 3&4 instead and use that as your main output, if you don't mind giving up Total Effects and the use of the main volume knob.
Why not just route patches individually through the Eventide? Then you can send them to Individual 1&2, return through Audio Input 1&2, and rout that to the L/R bus.

You will love the SPACE. Best $500 you could spend, IMHO.

I was doing your second suggestion, routing individual programs out the 1/2 outputs, into the Eventide....and then yes you could bring those back into the KRONOS audio inputs routed to the L/R buss. Exactly. However, the problem with that is that you have to manually edit each and every program to send it there. Conversely, using the Global audio out through the 1/2 outputs sets it up globally for all programs. Then, if I have a program I DO NOT want to run through the Eventide (the more rare event), I can edit IT to go through outputs 3/4. All of this is then routing currently into my mixing board, where I can independently attenuate and mix these various sources. Kronos does not have sufficient mixing and routing capability (at least it does not appear so to me) to handle this type of set up (a true effects loop) on board......sans the original suggestion in the first paragraph of my post here.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: