Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I upgrade to a Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quoricsant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Should I upgrade to a Kronos? Reply with quote

Hello people

I've been planning on upgrading my Triton Classic Studio 76keys (for quite a while now), but I specifically want a keyboard that can emulate the multis (COMBIS) I have on my classic Triton (basically combinations of string, choir and great organ sounds, that I luv so much on my classic).

I have some VSTi Kontakt libraries for those instruments also, but.. there's something about the slowish, feeble attack on them.. that I really really dislike (as opposed to the in-your-face sounds of the Triton!)..

My main reason for wanting to upgrade though is that, since the classic model doesn't even have SPDIF or any digital out, I feel the quality of the sound gets lost A LOT when I record the sounds of the kb through the analog 1/4' cables.

So I'm down to two options I think: getting a used Triton Extreme on ebay ($1000 to $1400 from what I've seen)- or, most exciting I think, getting the Kronos.

My questions there: Does the Kronos have the same -or very similar/comparable- strings/choir/organs sounds to the Triton in it?

Will I be making a worthy upgrade in that sense?

Could you tell me any other significant improvements in between these two keyboards?

And finally, any other brands/models I shoud be looking for? (for the specific sounds I'm after)

Thanks a lot for your attention Very Happy
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the money and need better audio quality, go with the Kronos. It doesn't have all the Triton samples, but it has a lot.

The other option is get the Studio Essentials card, which has some of the best female choir sounds (and I really miss them). You could even get the Triton Extreme (which has a huge library!) and combine it with your Triton. I did this for a while and man did I have some great sounds between the two boards.

Of course, the Kronos makes handling samples easy. They load in seconds, which is great because I use extra samples on just about every project.

Little sidenote: I bought the Extreme because I didn't think I could afford the OASYS. A year later, I sold the Extreme, because I had the OASYS. G.A.S. got the better of me!
quoricsant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mike!

Yeah I know what you mean with the choirs
If I understand correctly, you had a Classic and an Extreme at the same time? Wouldn't that be redundant?

Couple of years back I looked at the EXB-PCM02 option, as that card had brass/woodwind, strings, choirs (EXACTLY what I'm always looking for)
However it wasn't much of an option in the end, because (if memory serves me right) I couldn't use it anyways, as I have the 76keys model, instead of the 88 Triton. In any case, without a digital out an upgrade is pointlesss to me, and I think the Extreme does have all those extra libraries included, no?

I just got out of buying a lot of stuff for the studio but I want to set myself to a goal of getting a new kb - I need to figure out which first Wink

What scares me about getting a Kronos is not finding comparable or even better sounds, and instead a bunch of options I'm never gonna use (i.e. I don't care for the sequencer, or synth/analog stuff, etc). After all, it would be more than double the investment!
Subpar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Choirs, I always end up sampling my favorite VST anyway. I have lots of patches on my Triton Pro X and M3 (yes I still have both because I hate selling gear) that I intend to convert.

All in all, the Kronos should have no problem recreating them, close to if not better than the original. I am looking forward to the move to the Kronons. Now what to do with the M3 and Triton...LOL

Dustin
Aka Subpar
quoricsant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dustin

Yeah I wouldn't sell my Triton either -if even just to keep the parameters of sounds I've programmed-

I'm looking to hear from someone who has owned both keyboards (or at least tried the Kronos)
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quoricsant wrote:
If I understand correctly, you had a Classic and an Extreme at the same time? Wouldn't that be redundant?

....and the OASYS! I had 12 - 14 synths, several layered at the same time. By layered, I mean 5 layers of Brass programs, 13 layers of strings (for instance an Extreme 8 part Combi, plus SY99 touch distortion Rosin Strings, Fantom 4 part string layer, plus a Triton Classic layer) and that was just for section strings - not pizziccato or tremolo.

However, I wanted to try a minimalist approach and compose everything on the OASYS. (Sometimes a little Virus TI, too). I was using so many synths that it took me a week just to coordinate the sounds into layers, splits and channels. The idea of just jumping from one Combi to the next appealed to me. As I said, I usually use samples (samples of my other instruments, Steve Steven's guitars, Karo libraries) to supplement, but I can do it all on one board and still sounds pretty big. Some examples:
Song One
Two
Three

Quote:
Couple of years back I looked at the EXB-PCM02 option, as that card had brass/woodwind, strings, choirs (EXACTLY what I'm always looking for)
However it wasn't much of an option in the end, because (if memory serves me right) I couldn't use it anyways, as I have the 76keys model, instead of the 88 Triton.

I thought that all Triton Studios had slots for 7 cards? Anyways...

Quote:
In any case, without a digital out an upgrade is pointlesss to me, and I think the Extreme does have all those extra libraries included, no?

No, it had parts of all of those libraries, plus a new piano, steel string guitar and nice English horn, among some others. It has the full Orchestral PCM library (cards 3 & 4), but most anything in those instrument categories on the other cards were not included. The Essentials card had Vibrato versions of the choirs that the Extreme didn't have, along with a good Cello and Brass section that didn't get ported over. That said.........the Extreme is a beast, with one of the most satisfying ROM collections of any keyboard. The number of Combi stacks on there was amazing. Korg programmed the heck out of it.

The choir vibrato sound (there was a different non-vibrato version that they ported, I believe) can be heard at the 1:18 mark of this song:

FINALE AND FIGHT

(It's one of my songs from THE AWAKENING, an indie flick.)

Quote:
What scares me about getting a Kronos is not finding comparable or even better sounds, and instead a bunch of options I'm never gonna use (i.e. I don't care for the sequencer, or synth/analog stuff, etc). After all, it would be more than double the investment!

One of the Combis that sold me on the OASYS (Kronos has all those sounds and more) was this:

Bearded Vulcan Epic

Even as just a rompler, the Kronos has a lot of the fabulous Korg sounds, that you will recognize. (But not the Peter Siedlaczek orchestral samples from EXB 3 & 4.) Audio-wise, they are better quality - lossless compression and the FX are better and more numerous, so you can use more reverbs, compressors, delays, etc. for a more polished mix.

Since I don't have the Kronos, I don't know what's in some of the new libraries. Maybe, one of those vibrato choirs made it over, but probably not.

The Extreme has USB outputs for hooking up Disk drives, CD drives, but that isn't the same as USB audio directly into your computer, which Kronos has.
quoricsant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike- thanks for taking the time!

Impressive orchestral pieces - those KARO ones (especially the first) sound like PLAY instruments! (not so much dinamics or detail obviously, but that's not what I want anyways.. I like layering those sounds on top of distorted guitars, so a single fff velocity is most times enough for me haha)

I know what you mean by layering strings. I've tried to do the same with VSTis, but.. dunno, it just isn't there as much.. maybe it's the attack being aligned/synced in the keyboard sounds, or something. Maybe even a latency thing that throws me off.

So, as I'll have to save up for some time, I guess I'll wait to read and hear more about how the Kronos does in the ROM area with the orchestral sounds.

The USB connection on the Kronos & vst app looks very nice, but since the Extreme has SPDIF out (right?) I think I would be getting the Triton sound without losses from it?

If I understand correctly, you're saying StudioEssentials+Extreme would cover all the Triton bases, orch-wise?

Thanks again
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quoricsant wrote:
Impressive orchestral pieces - those KARO ones (especially the first) sound like PLAY instruments!

Youtube compression butchers the sound quality. I am blown away by the bass and fullness, in person.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you're saying StudioEssentials+Extreme would cover all the Triton bases, orch-wise?

I was very impressed with the two, but the Extreme may be plenty. I would try that before laying extra cash for the EXB card. Play it and see what you think. Same with Kronos or even the Roland JP80 - play them in the the shop so you get a good idea of what's in them.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my extreme for the kronos. best decision i ever made.

pretty much all of the good ROM in the triton including EXB boards are in the kronos.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
shap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably don't want to hear this, but you're really going to have to go listen. Some of your favorites on the Triton will be superseded by stuff on the KRONOS that you like better. Some won't. It will come down to a personal judgment call.

The one point in your post that I might re-think is the recording quality assumption. Audio over SPDIF is better than analog, but with good quality cables and proper [physical] separation of analog and power cables either one should be "good enough". Yes, you're losing something from analog, but it's probably insignificant relative to other things in your processing chain.

Personally, I prefer to to audio over digital whenever I can. I know that my major losses happen elsewhere, but every loss I eliminate is good, and digital has better immunity to power cross-talk. But at the end of the day this is mostly because I'm an engineer at heart, and the belts+suspenders approach gets in the blood. Objectively, I'd expect a larger net improvement for less money by buying better converters (MOTU or RME) or moving to more bits of precision in your DAW-side reverb and effects processing.

The KRONOS is really impressive. Digital is better than analog. That said, the digital/analog difference, taken alone, isn't the reason to upgrade.

Which is to say: we both know you're going to upgrade anyway, but you need a more convincing excuse. Wink
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
quoricsant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a FF800 and Monster (keyboard) cables. I've tried with other cables as well, and the RME certainly is not to blame. I use Sonar for a DAW, btw.

I also play guitar and I've had a Boss GT5 pedal for +10 years.
Some 2 years ago I upgraded to a GT10 with a digital out, and the recordings from it are CRYSTAL clear when I use the SPDIF output (yes, the difference with regular cables is not big at all on that one, but still). So in that sense, I'm just basing myself on personal experience..

On the other hand, whenever I would play in the Triton and use (closed back) headphones, the sound would be IMMENSE, to say the least. However, once I record the same sound through 1/4'' cables, it loses quite a noticeable amount of clarity (sounds exactly as if I was downsampling). So, getting a digital out is just another reason to upgrade! Wink

About trying the keyboard- well of course that's always the ideal solution, but there are no stores carrying Korg where I live (let alone a Kronos). So my best sources are YT and you people Very Happy

Hey Robbin, that's so great to hear!
operaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, have some Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: