Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Review Of The Korg Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oopfoo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, a stylus works very well on the Kronos. I have one of the large stylii that comes with the Nintendo DS XL. Just keep it sitting on the top and use it for any serious tapping you need to do.

Also, make sure you calibrate your screen from your playing position. Works a LOT better that way.
Gribs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have a great use for the fancy stylus I bought for my Palm Pilot way back when.

I am trying to figure out the rationale for not going with a capacitive touch display, and I am thinking it is based on durability and not wanting to have a large piece of glass on the outside of the Kronos. I am used to an iPad now too and spoiled rotten by it! Even more so for iMS-20. I keep wanting to turn a touch knob on the MS20 EXi interface.

What about the possibility of an iPad app that expands the control surface?
Roland RD700-GX
NI Komplete, Kore, Maschine
Eurorack modular that never ceases to grow
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Screen Reply with quote

lesfarrington wrote:
i have had my Kronos for one week. i have posted some complaints about the touchscreen. i think my problem is that i am used to my iPad. im spoiled. I agree that the edit boxes are very small and you have to REALLY aim your fingertip....but REALLY when you get right down to it, ITS INFINATELY BETTER THAN USING SCROLL BUTTONS AND ENTER BUTTONS TO FIND THE PARAMETER YOUR LOOKING FOR!!!!! so the Touchscreen is a WELCOME ADDITION TO THIS MASTERPIECE OF SYNTHESIS! the more i use it the more i am not only impressed but OVERWHELMED. the synths are SERIOUSLY JUICY! youd have to buy a MOOG or PROPHET 08 to beat it. and just BARELY! the sound CUTS. I use Logic Audio and LOVE the Rhodes on the EV88. BUT THE RHODES AND WURLIES ON THE KRONOS ARE SO DELIGHTFUL. The Pianos are damn good. Honestly theres some GREAT PIANOS that IN A MIX would sound just as good. but the DAMPER RESONANCE is TRULY superior. i am guessing the Kronos 88 will have that S90es Balance. I LOVE my S90(till i sold it).
YOUR REVIEW WAS WELL DONE!

Everything is a matter of taste, but I would think Kronos demos sounds better then a P08. I had a 08 and it was too dry and thin in it's sound to my taste. Hated the filter. I sold the P08 and got a Moog little phatty and that was much better, but still, the synth was a bit small, Minimoog voyager should have been the one. Smile I'm not saying minimoog sounds better then Kronos, but different from Kronos.

I like touchscreens, considering an iPad myself.
rkuli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribs wrote:
Now I have a great use for the fancy stylus I bought for my Palm Pilot way back when.

......What about the possibility of an iPad app that expands the control surface?

I would love this! Why don't you post it in the features suggestion wishlist thread at the top if it isn't already there.

RK

ex-ex SK5, PSS 680, DX7
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oopfoo wrote:
For what it's worth, a stylus works very well on the Kronos. I have one of the large stylii that comes with the Nintendo DS XL. Just keep it sitting on the top and use it for any serious tapping you need to do.

Also, make sure you calibrate your screen from your playing position. Works a LOT better that way.

Do you take a stylus with you for gigs too? Just curious.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Screen Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
lesfarrington wrote:
i have had my Kronos for one week. i have posted some complaints about the touchscreen. i think my problem is that i am used to my iPad. im spoiled. I agree that the edit boxes are very small and you have to REALLY aim your fingertip....but REALLY when you get right down to it, ITS INFINATELY BETTER THAN USING SCROLL BUTTONS AND ENTER BUTTONS TO FIND THE PARAMETER YOUR LOOKING FOR!!!!! so the Touchscreen is a WELCOME ADDITION TO THIS MASTERPIECE OF SYNTHESIS! the more i use it the more i am not only impressed but OVERWHELMED. the synths are SERIOUSLY JUICY! youd have to buy a MOOG or PROPHET 08 to beat it. and just BARELY! the sound CUTS. I use Logic Audio and LOVE the Rhodes on the EV88. BUT THE RHODES AND WURLIES ON THE KRONOS ARE SO DELIGHTFUL. The Pianos are damn good. Honestly theres some GREAT PIANOS that IN A MIX would sound just as good. but the DAMPER RESONANCE is TRULY superior. i am guessing the Kronos 88 will have that S90es Balance. I LOVE my S90(till i sold it).

Everything is a matter of taste, but I would think Kronos demos sounds better then a P08. I had a 08 and it was too dry and thin in it's sound to my taste. Hated the filter. I sold the P08 and got a Moog little phatty and that was much better, but still, the synth was a bit small, Minimoog voyager should have been the one. Smile I'm not saying minimoog sounds better then Kronos, but different from Kronos.

Yeah, I was pretty excited about the Prophet 08, but the build quality threw me off. It's not that bad, but I guess I was expecting it to be more because it was going to be the Prophet 08.
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Screen Reply with quote

yellowchops wrote:
robinkle wrote:
lesfarrington wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty excited about the Prophet 08, but the build quality threw me off. It's not that bad, but I guess I was expecting it to be more because it was going to be the Prophet 08.

He P08 should've had the SSM2040 filter chip used in the Prophet 5 Rev2 synthesizer, and VCO's instead of DCO's, that would make a ton of difference. I agree about the build quality especially knobs and buttons, but I think the knobs are improved now with the P08 Pot edition.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Screen Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
yellowchops wrote:
robinkle wrote:
lesfarrington wrote:

He P08 should've had the SSM2040 filter chip used in the Prophet 5 Rev2 synthesizer, and VCO's instead of DCO's, that would make a ton of difference. I agree about the build quality especially knobs and buttons, but I think the knobs are improved now with the P08 Pot edition.

I wasn't aware of the SSM2040 filter chip...good to know...you learn something new everyday. Smile

Thanks for sharing.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribs wrote:

I am trying to figure out the rationale for not going with a capacitive touch display, and I am thinking it is based on durability and not wanting to have a large piece of glass on the outside of the Kronos. I am used to an iPad now too and spoiled rotten by it! Even more so for iMS-20. I keep wanting to turn a touch knob on the MS20 EXi interface.

What about the possibility of an iPad app that expands the control surface?

Gribs,

I just uploaded 3 videos showcasing the Motif XF OS 1.2. I showcase saving/loading data via WiFi and recording/playing WAV files via WiFi and last but not least I showcase some of the Yamaha iPad apps’ features.

Yamaha Motif XF OS 1.2 Showcase | Wireless Network Connectivity | Part 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcPeSxbSEBg

Yamaha Motif XF OS 1.2 Showcase | “Multi Editor” & “Perf Editor"| Part 2 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3g651mSwIA

Yamaha Motif XF OS 1.2 Showcase | “Set List” App | Part 3 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNTlJIOZek

Hopefully, this is something that other manufacturers will look at implementing at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: