Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem importing M3 midi to Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundsailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: problem importing M3 midi to Kronos Reply with quote

I saved my songs on the M3 to midi format 1 and when I import them to the Kronos it won't allow me to make instrument changes, everytime I make a change as soon as I turn on the sequencer it goes back to the original instrument.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your .mid file has program change inside the sequence, you should go on each track and deleterogram change message. In Seq, go to track edit.
soundsailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
Your .mid file has program change inside the sequence, you should go on each track and deleterogram change message. In Seq, go to track edit.

this is happening to EVERY midi file I try to upload, and there were no program changes in the original music
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but your save your song as mid i'm pretty sure it will put GM compatible prgram change in each track, check this!
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Korg Workstations do this... I've dealt with it since the 01/Wfd and N364 back in the 90's...

When you SAVE a standard MIDI file, it takes whatever program is assigned to each channel and places a program change event in 1:01:000 of each track. So when you load the .MID file into the Kronos, you need to go to "Track Edit" tab, and then use "Event Edit" in each track and just delete it out of there, and then reassign each track to the appropriate KRONOS bank & program number.

You will also find that it did the same thing for your volume and pan settings, and possibly controllers 91 and 93 (MFX sends). It's a huge pain in the butt, i've asked for better handling of standard MIDI files for a long time. Or even just a utility to "strip controllers/program events" in track edit mode so you can do it all in one shot.
soundsailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
All Korg Workstations do this... I've dealt with it since the 01/Wfd and N364 back in the 90's...

When you SAVE a standard MIDI file, it takes whatever program is assigned to each channel and places a program change event in 1:01:000 of each track. So when you load the .MID file into the Kronos, you need to go to "Track Edit" tab, and then use "Event Edit" in each track and just delete it out of there, and then reassign each track to the appropriate KRONOS bank & program number.

You will also find that it did the same thing for your volume and pan settings, and possibly controllers 91 and 93 (MFX sends). It's a huge pain in the butt, i've asked for better handling of standard MIDI files for a long time. Or even just a utility to "strip controllers/program events" in track edit mode so you can do it all in one shot.

Thanks for the input I finally figured it out.........

un F*^k'n real !!!!
They just don't give a s**t I guess, there should be a way to load M3 song data into this thing, I shouldn't have even had to convert it to MIDI, I mean come on they don't even support their OWN gear ????
Oboemd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: problem importing M3 midi to Kronos Reply with quote

Quick fix
Make sure Seq is at begining
Make sure each track has desired prog
Go to "midi filter" page
Uncheck "enable prog change" for each track
Re save
Done

This works unless you have prog changes you want that occur after first measure
maphill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundsailer wrote:

Thanks for the input I finally figured it out.........

un F*^k'n real !!!!
They just don't give a s**t I guess, there should be a way to load M3 song data into this thing, I shouldn't have even had to convert it to MIDI, I mean come on they don't even support their OWN gear ????

I know it is frustrating, but no need to overreact.

There are many things that Korg has to support, including many different sets of expectations. For example, some people expect that if they save a MID on one machine, that it might sound a little similar on another. This would require saving the only "standard" for what each instrument should sound like in the MID file.

It doesn't work for your case, but at least consider that it is there for a reason. It is not fair to assume it is a "lack of support for their own gear."

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: