Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a tips on not drowning a mix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Looking for a tips on not drowning a mix Reply with quote

It seems that the moment I get 3 instruments into a song (say, Drums, Bass and Lead) I enter distortion zone; I always push 6.0 DB (the 'red zone' in Logic). Whenever I try things like limiting, though, it always ruins the song and max the part I am limiting not stick out. If I limit the whole track, it turns to shite.

So, anybody have tips on properly EQing, Mixing, Compressing, Limiting etc. a track so you can make all your sounds have their proper place without pushing distortion areas?
ozy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tips on not drowning a mix Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
I always push 6.0 DB (the 'red zone' in Logic). Whenever I try things like limiting, though, it always ruins the song and max the part I am limiting not stick out. If I limit the whole track, it turns to shite.

if you drown, stop drinking. It's that easy.

as in previous occurrences the answer you need is: less is more.

take everything down three notches:

listen to the sax in PFL (i-e-: when entering the mixer): it gotta be at -3. If it unisons with anything, make that -6.

All drums, totally, -5.

The total sum must be 0, with the very very occasional shot at 3 (very very = not "each bass drum hit").

People should dance at your music, not meters. Meters jumping along with rhythm make for a nice visual effects and the illusion you are "pumping", but it sonically stinks.

Do that, and you'll have no need for compression, limiting etc. Those efefcts have different purposes.

All that, must be NET of EQ. If using EQ, scale everything down by the correspondent quantities.

If you input everything at 0, and the sum is +6, and you add +3 here na +6 there by EQ,

of course it's gonna distort.

Work at a NET zero, and life will be easier.

If that sounds "too tame" to you, buy bigger speakers: add volume after the mix, not before.

Since you probably use mostly digital and computerized tools,

none of this is giving you signal-to-noise problems.

Less is more.

Less. Is. More.

You didn't need 24 waveforms for a decent bass,

you didn't need complex formants for a plain vocoder effect,

you don't need compressors and limiters where the issue is: respect the mixer's headroom.

Of course another answer is: use good components,

but that comes AFTER.

And my recipe is free of charge.

Oh, btw: remove reverb from the bass guitar and the bass drum. Add some to the snare.

"Drowning" often comes from that.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring the slightly condescending tone, Ozy's advice is sound (if you'll excuse the pun).

Quite simply if you are peaking at +6 then you are pushing it too far. Turn your instruments down. Turn your speakers up if you have to.

I do often apply a master limiter at 0dB but I aim to have everything mixed at -3dB

A few useful things to remember about dBs:
- zero is 'unity', meaning no change at all. If your mixer level is at zero dB for a track, then you're hearing it at the same level it was recorded
- a change of 3dB is a doubling or halfing of actual linear value. So if 0dB is -1 to +1 amplitude, then -3dB is -0.5 to +0.5. Similarlt +3dB would be -2 to +2. Not vastly important for the creative side of mixing, but handy to know what you're doing technically.

When applying EQ it tends to help to go above and below the zero line in equal amounts. Some of Logic's EQs have a shift or gain for the whole effect. This is handy if you get the right shape but you are coming out with a net gain. I'm not sure about the version you are using but when I was working with it I think it could even tell you the net gain or loss in dB.

EQ can be very important to making a mix fit together, but a good arrangement shouldn't need too much of it because the instruments should be written in the right octaves as to not clash. It really depends on your type of music.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that might help in Logic is to use the analyzer on the channel EQ for the channel(s) in question and/or the master channel. I've found it helpful to see where exactly the mix is spiking and pin-point the culprit. I usually end up discovering that that last kick I sampled had a bit much low-end going on that I didn't hear when it was all by its lonesome but stacked up with a nice fat bass: boom!- red zone time!
Don't be afraid to "cheat" and use the filters built-in to your soft synths to help taper and tame some of those frequencies. A nice bit of high-pass on a kick or bass does wonders and saves you a separate trip to the channel EQ.

Cheers and happy producing!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: