Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your analog engine of choice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Your analog engine of choice? Reply with quote

Having the K for a week now... I am becoming quite obsessed over its analog capabilities. That really is the first thing that I look for in a board (except the triton...) and these three engines sound...so....AMAZING!!!!!

Problem is... I'm incredibly overwhelmed when i am about to make a new sound (with the idea in my head) on which engine I should use... So far the way I'm thinking of it is.

Polysix - for more warm sounding and simple pads, and really awesome leads (the pulse wave on P6 is to freaking die for.)

AL-1 - for all the really super complex stuff. different types of filters and generally things that I wouldve done on the radias. And stuff that probably wouldnt be possible on say a moog.

MS-20... see this is where i get stumped... This engine confuses me a little (cause of the patch panel and the small text...) and I can't seem to find its niche. I am very open to your opinions and advice regarding it however. I want to get into it cause the filters sound SOOO GOOOOODD...

I would like to know which engines you use for what as well!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is probably a lame/standard point of view, but I would use the MS-20 for getting a Mini or 2600 sound...stuff before the 80's. That's not to say the oscs and filters would sound exactly the same or anything, it just has that vibe to me.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
I know this is probably a lame/standard point of view, but I would use the MS-20 for getting a Mini or 2600 sound...stuff before the 80's. That's not to say the oscs and filters would sound exactly the same or anything, it just has that vibe to me.

For filters closer to a mini, try the AL-1 on 24dB lowpass with resonance bass set to "tight."
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:

For filters closer to a mini, try the AL-1 on 24dB lowpass with resonance bass set to "tight."

Nice...there's that insider knowledge I was hoping for. Smile
I wouldn't guess that the MS-20's filters had as steep of a slope, so that makes sense. Now I just have to patch-in the AL-1's filter section...ha!
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood, even though I don't have the Kronos yet - and it was a very somber moment letting Sweetwater know today that I couldn't get it for a while, I can tell you what I'm going to do with it, and it's not that different from your list.

Polysix: being a basic synth engine, vintage strings, simple synth sounds and pads, some basses are in order.

MS-20: I don't think you can really call this a warm synth. More like bright, squelchy and cutting, but I'm open to letting it define itself. With the patch panel, it lends itself to experimentation, some traditional leads, pads and basses, but also a lot of outer space burbles, bleeps, sequencer style bubbling sounds, BBC Radiophonic Workshop types of sounds. I'm wondering if it might be a good stand-in for a PS-3300.

AL-1: this is where I'll be living most of the time - along with MOD-7 and HD-1, but you were talking VA type stuff. This is a virtual modular synth, and though it's going to be doing a lot of typical polysynth sounds, stunt-doubling for Oberheims, Moogs, ARPs and Prophets, I want to really fly with this thing. Leave the atmosphere behind and see if I can be Tomita. I don't recall how many oscillators and filters are available in a patch, but I intend to make more than a few sounds which stretch it as far as it can go.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is definitely the AL-1, although there's a few things that should be addressed...

Portamento needs to have the option of being both Log and Lin, I personally don't care for linear glide as it's too abrupt, most vintage analogues use log. Although later today, when I get the chance, I'll try smoothing key notes via the AMS mixer to see if that improves things.

Another problem that many VA synths suffer from, including the AL-1 (in mono mode), is the EG's, where the attack level ALWAYS starts from zero instead of the current release level when a new note is triggered... difficult to explain clearly, but I'm sure most of you will know what I'm on about.

Other than that, the AL-1 is the 2nd best VA synth I've owned (nothing comes close to the G2 for VA synthesis). But overall, the Kronos is quite simply the best keyboard I've ever owned.
shap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eager to explore my K-88 when it arrives Thursday, but I'm a brand new V-Synth GT owner as well, and I'm new to analog synthesis. Can somebody with more experience maybe help put the V-Synth engine qua analog synth in context relative to the various K-88 engines? Are there qualified similarities, or is this an apples and oranges sort of thing?

Separately, how about putting them in context in the vocoding context. That kind of function doesn't seem (to me) to emerge with much emphasis in the K-88 docs, but it's equally likely that I'm just not thinking about putting the K-88 pieces together in the right way.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Nice...there's that insider knowledge I was hoping for. Smile

It's not really insider knowledge, it's all described in the manual.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
Eager to explore my K-88 when it arrives Thursday, but I'm a brand new V-Synth GT owner as well, and I'm new to analog synthesis.

It really is a case of Oranges and Apples. Each synth manufacturer has it's own way of implementing VA to a certain degree i.e. Korg has various Dual Saws, Roland has the infamous Supersaw and Feedback Oscillators, Korg can use sync, FM and Ring Mod simultaneously, Roland only lets you select one of those functions, Korg has the shape option on EG curves, and Roland just use linear... the list goes on - kinda reminds me of the early ARP/Moog wars (Yup, I'm THAT old).

"Don't compare" is the easiest answer, and enjoy what each synth gives you in return, I'm sure the two will compliment each other very well Smile
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD-7!
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@shap..

viewing the Vsynth-GT as a VA is like calling a ferrari a nice red car... Very Happy

IMO it is the only really new synth in the last 10 years and will complement the Kronos very well..
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSynth is something else, has nothing to do with VA in general, even though
can recreate some stuff nicely, it is more of an experimental synth and also
its engine has nothing to do with VA.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
Eager to explore my K-88 when it arrives Thursday, but I'm a brand new V-Synth GT owner as well, and I'm new to analog synthesis. Can somebody with more experience maybe help put the V-Synth engine qua analog synth in context relative to the various K-88 engines? Are there qualified similarities, or is this an apples and oranges sort of thing?

Separately, how about putting them in context in the vocoding context. That kind of function doesn't seem (to me) to emerge with much emphasis in the K-88 docs, but it's equally likely that I'm just not thinking about putting the K-88 pieces together in the right way.

You and me are in the same boat. I just got my V-synth and am riding the learning curve. I am however, finding the V-synth pretty easy to use and understand. I also purchased the V-synth Tweakbook and found it very informative.

I have been exploring the Variphrase, Articulative Phrasing and vocoding quite a bit too. There are so many interesting options to explore using these tools. Personally, I feel the V-synth (and Virus) are going to be the perfect compliment to the Kronos. They each offer their own sound and unique capabilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: