Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

no arpeggiators ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no arpeggiators ? Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
if someone asked me:
Can i create a simple arpegiator from Scratch on the KRONOS?
I would simply say YES you can, KRONOS can have simple arpegios.
Now, when the same person asks me HOW? The it gets more complex.

Translation "NO"
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With KARMA, absolutely if you want an up/down/random arpeggio over x number of octaves you can do it.

That is what an arpeggiator is to most synths. Something a little more complex than what you have on the P6, considering there are various rhythmic variations too in the basic arp GEs.

For me though,
One of the great things about KARMA beyond that is that everything is controlled by the knobs (or sliders in this case I think). So even though you may start from a certain pattern or groove in a GE, that is not by far the end result. In fact it is only the beginning, you can still 'make it your own'. Having a knob called 'rhythmic complexity' or 'triplets' is very intuitive and great for live performance, particlarly electronic stuff.
Beyond that, its great in the studio or in writing too when you want something - and perhaps you're doing a commercial piece on a deadline for example - and you don't know quite what you're looking for, or its an instrument you have no idea how it should be played, KARMA will help there too!
For example, I'm not great at drums, but working with KARMA for me can be like working with a real drummer in the studio. I can tell it to vary the rhythm or swing it or up the pace a little.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Rocness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
With KARMA, absolutely if you want an up/down/random arpeggio over x number of octaves you can do it.

That is what an arpeggiator is to most synths. Something a little more complex than what you have on the P6, considering there are various rhythmic variations too in the basic arp GEs.

For me though,
One of the great things about KARMA beyond that is that everything is controlled by the knobs (or sliders in this case I think). So even though you may start from a certain pattern or groove in a GE, that is not by far the end result. In fact it is only the beginning, you can still 'make it your own'. Having a knob called 'rhythmic complexity' or 'triplets' is very intuitive and great for live performance, particlarly electronic stuff.
Beyond that, its great in the studio or in writing too when you want something - and perhaps you're doing a commercial piece on a deadline for example - and you don't know quite what you're looking for, or its an instrument you have no idea how it should be played, KARMA will help there too!
For example, I'm not great at drums, but working with KARMA for me can be like working with a real drummer in the studio. I can tell it to vary the rhythm or swing it or up the pace a little.

Translation : "NO"
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Translation : "NO"

If you read the 1st paragraph & a bit of my post, you'll see the answer is yes. If you want a simple arpeggiator, you can do it. No problem.
As long as you really do mean simple.

The rest of my post was just about the merits of KARMA's more complicated functions. Doesn't mean it can't be a 'simple arpeggiator'. Unless you're mistaken as to what an arpeggiator actually is.

If you really want a 'basic arpeggiator', you just select one of the basic arpeggiator GEs and be done with it.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
If you really want a 'basic arpeggiator', you just select one of the basic arpeggiator GEs and be done with it.

Translation: YES. Wink

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: no arpeggiators ? Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
if someone asked me:

Translation "NO"

Of course no for clueless people like you but not for people like me
which actually know how to use the KARMA software and get the best
out of it...i guess.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Mr Kay will say yes - he invented it, clever chap that he is Wink

As a user, I (not so clever) regularly find the answer is yes.

How easy is it? Let's see.

Go to a program

Assign a Karma scene (just the one) on Karma tab

Pick one of the dozens (if not more) arp options from the drop down (made all the more easy as they're all grouped together)

Hit Key and hold (or press 'Latch')

Enjoy

Don't see what's difficult about that.

But as I say - the art of Karma is what GEs can really do. I've only scratched the surface and can honestly say I've been amazed at what can be done (with the Karma software - available seperately at Karma lab!).
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really should be an arpeggiator along the lines of the Triton's in the Kronos. This should also be implemented in the M3. For me the KARMA technology certainly looks and sounds impressive, but it's of no use to me if I can't program my own patterns. I do, however, own the KARMA software, but it is very complex and not very intuitive in my view. It requires some dedication and time, and I don't have too much of either, so in my case KARMA is sadly not something I've gotten very much use of.

PS: There should be some basic & fast step-by-step tutorials for KARMA. I've seen some videos, but didn't unfortunately get too much out of them. Maybe I haven't seen the right ones, though.

btw: the Blofeld arp, as was mentioned earlier, is excellent
Rocness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: no arpeggiators ? Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Rocness wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
if someone asked me:

Translation "NO"

Of course no for clueless people like you but not for people like me
which actually know how to use the KARMA software and get the best
out of it...i guess.

Did you just challenge me to a K.A.R.M.A programing contest Question

If so then " i'll be your huckleberry " Wink
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i didnt, i am not as smart as you but...hey, for the hell of it why not,
not M3 KARMA contest but let it be KM3 contest...
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i read here is that you cannot create your own arp pattern on the Kronos....

yet..it seemed like such a simple question! Lol
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're half-right Mystic38...

Currently you cannot edit your Arp GEs (which tell Karma what to do and when).

When the Karma software for Kronos is released, you will be able to edit/create your own Arp GEs.

So wait a bit longer and the answer will be yes.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do we use the same logic to call the Jupiter 80 a workstation?...lol

Sorry, not meaning to be a plant, but simply making a point.. I would say the answer is still "no"... now, assuming the karma editor is free then I would accept "no, but".. Smile

cello wrote:
You're half-right Mystic38...

When the Karma software for Kronos is released, you will be able to edit/create your own Arp GEs.

So wait a bit longer and the answer will be yes.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

A correction, they can be edited with very big details but not created from scratch.
So no matter what logic one uses, software or not, paid or not the Kronos yes,
will create Arps from scratch, basic or advanced arps.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
cello wrote:

A correction, they can be edited with very big details but not created from scratch.
So no matter what logic one uses, software or not, paid or not the Kronos yes,
will create Arps from scratch, basic or advanced arps.

Fair point, you're right to correct me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: