Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I played a Kronos in the UK this week

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Bender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: So I played a Kronos in the UK this week Reply with quote

I got very lucky this week and chanced upon a visit by Korg with a K61 to PMT in Birmingham.

I spent nearly an hour with it and it is truly fab! I immediately ordered an 88 and paid my deposit!

I was initially a bit disappointed with the physical look of the 61 especially the end cheeks which to meet looked a bit shiny to keep looking good and also felt a bit hollow. That said once I got playing that was forgotten

I have an M3 and the immediate thing for me was the enhanced clarity and definition in the sound on combis I know and love from that. The screen was big and clear but I do think the fonts could be bigger. However the amount of data and tabs on one page makes editing quicker and more obvious.

Two obvious questions for me. Can I use the legacy MS 20 controller via USB to control the MS20 in Kronos and can I use the pads on the M3 via midi to trigger the K as well? Obvious I am sure but any thoughts appreciated.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: So I played a Kronos in the UK this week Reply with quote

Jeremy Bender wrote:
Two obvious questions for me. Can I use the legacy MS 20 controller via USB to control the MS20 in Kronos and can I use the pads on the M3 via midi to trigger the K as well? Obvious I am sure but any thoughts appreciated.

1) I don't think so.

2) If the pads on M3 send out MIDI, then yes.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: So I played a Kronos in the UK this week Reply with quote

Jeremy Bender wrote:
I was initially a bit disappointed with the physical look of the 61 especially the end cheeks which to meet looked a bit shiny to keep looking good and also felt a bit hollow.

I was immediately disappointed with the physical appearance. The joystick, end caps and data wheel looked like they belonged on an entry level synth, not a $3000 workstation. While I could read the text fine, the buttons needed a pinpoint touch(s) before they responded, unlike the Oasys buttons which often respond with a light swipe. One thing I noticed was that the front panel, which I thought was metal, was actually warm to the touch. Which leads me to believe it was plastic.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: So I played a Kronos in the UK this week Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
I was immediately disappointed with the physical appearance.

Does your Oasys know your eyeing up another mistress Laughing

Why would you want a Kronos Beefburger....when you got an Oasys Steak at home?? Mr. Green
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: So I played a Kronos in the UK this week Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Jeremy Bender wrote:

1) I don't think so.

2) If the pads on M3 send out MIDI, then yes.

I think you guys can hook up some usb stuff. You need this convertor. iconnectmidi:

drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my excuse is that it's late here.

I went to the iConnectMIDI site, and I don't get how this helps? Any MIDI capable keyboard (i.e. M3) should be able to connect via the MIDI out, right? Would this let you connect a NanoPad to the general MIDI in of the Kronos?

This interface is $179 - seems like its cheaper just to get gear that has MIDI out directly (i.e. AKAI MPD)

Again, maybe I'm missing the point.

Chris
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
Ok, my excuse is that it's late here.

I went to the iConnectMIDI site, and I don't get how this helps? Any MIDI capable keyboard (i.e. M3) should be able to connect via the MIDI out, right?

Correct.

Quote:
Would this let you connect a NanoPad to the general MIDI in of the Kronos?

Well yes, that's the idea. You cannot connect a USB-only pad device directly to the Kronos. At least, not yet until Korg writes a driver that would allow that and bundles it into the OS.

So you could plug a USB only device into this, and get MIDI ports...

Quote:
This interface is $179 - seems like its cheaper just to get gear that has MIDI out directly (i.e. AKAI MPD)

Correct again. Wink Like a Korg Pad Kontrol, which has been reported at my forums to work quite well:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18135

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
...which has been reported at my forums to work quite well:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18135

Good link. There's been discussion on here as well regarding the same thing. This is the first post I've seen where someone's confirmed they got it working to take over the duty of the on screen pads.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: So I played a Kronos in the UK this week Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Trinity2112 wrote:
I was immediately disappointed with the physical appearance.

Does your Oasys know your eyeing up another mistress Laughing

Why would you want a Kronos Beefburger....when you got an Oasys Steak at home?? Mr. Green

Curiosity. And yes, she knew all about it. She's kinda "funny" that way. Wink

I'm so happy for all the Kronos owners who get to experience that glorious sound Oasys owners have been enjoying for years. That's all that really matters in the end.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
dustymaestro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drchris, I think it was designed mainly for the iphone, ipad connection. Its up to your imagination as to what else you could do with it.

I never knew that the Korg Padkontrol was so affordable. Smile
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about iPad / iPhone,

It shouldn't be a problem to use software like touchAble http://touch-able.com/Site/touchable.html to connect with Ableton, and route messages to the Kronos. I particularly like the XY pad feature (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peG-K3F0WtQ) and think that will be really cool in controlling parameters inside the Kronos.

This may not really be possible until the VST comes out. I'll be checking into this more when my 88 comes this week.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: