Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSB/LSB for Dummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: MSB/LSB for Dummies Reply with quote

I would like to set a controlling keyboard to play a program (specifically Bank INT-D, D095) on the Kronos.

I'm not really making head-or-tails out the instructions in the Parameter Guide on page 1111.

What are the proper MSB/LSB settings for this program?

Thanks!
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I figured out how to do change programs using MSB/LSB.

Now, what I can't figure out is how do I access the internal sounds on the Kronos from my controller without changing the sound I'm playing on the Kronos itself?
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're in the wrong area for what you're trying to do. If I understand it correctly, the easiest way is to make a combi, assign the program that you want to play to one of the timbres on the combi, then set it (in the combi) to receive MIDI from an external channel. You set the timbres that you want the Kronos to play to come from the Kronos midi channel (usually 01).

Try page 444 from the Parameter Guide.

Chris
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to expand on this,you need to be in either Combi Mode or Seq Mode to gain multitimbrality,program mode is simply one program slot

A combi or seq mode can be made up of 16 timbres each can have it own Midi channel,they can be controlled both internally from the kronos or externally from another midi device capable of sending data to Kronos or you can use kronos to control external gear too in the same manner.

In Combi mode Anything you wish to play from the Kronos Keyboard should be assigned to the Global midi channel number,assigned in the Global mode(although it doesn't have to all be utilised on the global midi channel if you care to see how other timbres can be triggered not just on the global channel inside a combi i.e Karma stuff)Global channel will normally have G after its channel value inside the combi pages,

So for instance if you wanted to play a bass and Piano split on the kronos,assign those two timbres to the same midi channel(default global channel 1) then use the keyzones to seperate the keyboard so they are set as a split on left/Right hand playing,then if you wanted to play another lead sound inside the combi location from an external keyboard assign that sound inside the kronos to another midi channel for example channel 2 and set your external Keyboard to send on channel 2 and you can play a further sound by external means you can also layer timbres to play from external means by assigning them the same midi channel numbers.

Please be aware with this in your case that if you select different program numbers on any of those timbres from your external keyboard especially if you layer tracks with the same midi channels,any other track you assigned to the same midi channel will change to the same value unless you disable this inside the midi pages of the combi to be switched off for that particular track,if your simply keeping things on their own midi channel then it shouldn't be a problem

I often use the Oasys like this as I sequence externally,I usually use it with several sounds mapped out across the Same midi channel in different keyzones so I can have multiple parts played just from one midi channel on the external sequencer.its for me a better way to create layers and splits and stuff within 16 tracks of a combi without having to use the onboard sequencer mode,very rarely do I ever switch patches inside those timbres anyway it also means all these setups will be selected by a program and bank change inside combi mode,I'm so glad Korg expanded it to 16 timbres in the Oasys as opposed to 8 previously in workstations

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helped!

I think I got it now.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: