Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXTERNAL CONTROL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: EXTERNAL CONTROL Reply with quote

what features does the board have for those that will use it as a controller of external midi gear
(not solely....but in addition to what it can do internally....?)

something similar to the fantom g external mixer feature....

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the EXT External mode of the control surface, and the External Mode presets included in the Global > MIDI > External pages.

apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to process in my mind how these two features are similar (the external mode on the Fantom G and the Kronos/m3)

It seems like the external feature is more robust on the korgs... one the fantom g, you can just control volume/patch changes of external synth modules/midi gear....

but on the Korg you can make it control ANYTHING that can be controlled by CC messages.....ANYTHING. I didn't know the m3 could do it....crazy (a year later finding out....)

the fantom g is cool though because you can control this stuff completely independent of what is going on in the fantom.... are the korg boards like that?

YouTube -

Facebook -

Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the XF is getting Karma, can the Karma controls on the Kronos be used to control Karma on the XF?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
Since the XF is getting Karma, can the Karma controls on the Kronos be used to control Karma on the XF?

Yes, you can actually set it up that way - I've done that here by using an M3's control surface to control the KARMA Motif software, which is then generating music on the Motif. You can do it with the Kronos as well.

apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

Yes, you can actually set it up that way - I've done that here by using an M3's control surface to control the KARMA Motif software, which is then generating music on the Motif. You can do it with the Kronos as well.

but why would someone have to use the m3 or the kronos to control Karma... and generating music on the Motif.... why not just use the Motif....

YouTube -

Facebook -

Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

but why would someone have to use the m3 or the kronos to control Karma... and generating music on the Motif.... why not just use the Motif....

So you can control it with physical controls designed to control Karma rather than having to access the software.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
I'm trying to process in my mind how these two features are similar (the external mode on the Fantom G and the Kronos/m3)

It seems like the external feature is more robust on the korgs... one the fantom g, you can just control volume/patch changes of external synth modules/midi gear....

but on the Korg you can make it control ANYTHING that can be controlled by CC messages.....ANYTHING. I didn't know the m3 could do it....crazy (a year later finding out....)

the fantom g is cool though because you can control this stuff completely independent of what is going on in the fantom.... are the korg boards like that?

The Fantom G can control volume, pan, and patch changes of external MIDI modules in its External Mode which is paired with its sequencer capabilities that provides 16 independent MIDI channels for external gear. The Kronos shares its 16 MIDI channels between internal programs and external sound modules.

Additionally, Fantom G has a Control Mode which you can make it control ANYTHING that can be controlled by CC messages via its D Beam, Knobs, sliders, switches as well as using its dynamic pads to trigger external MIDI sounds.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
apex wrote:

The Fantom G can control volume, pan, and patch changes of external MIDI modules in its External Mode which is paired with its sequencer capabilities that provides 16 independent MIDI channels for external gear. The Kronos shares its 16 MIDI channels between internal programs and external sound modules.

Additionally, Fantom G has a Control Mode which you can make it control ANYTHING that can be controlled by CC messages via its D Beam, Knobs, sliders, switches as well as using its dynamic pads to trigger external MIDI sounds.

so the Fantom G's external control mode is better in your opinion... (I think mine too)... You get 16 additional channels of midi/parts to work with on the Kronos you have 16 total...to share between internal and external parts.

YouTube -

Facebook -

jahrome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
jahrome wrote:
apex wrote:

so the Fantom G's external control mode is better in your opinion... (I think mine too)... You get 16 additional channels of midi/parts to work with on the Kronos you have 16 total...to share between internal and external parts.

The Fantom G gives me more MIDI channels, but honestly, I don't use the sequencer with external sound modules. With two expansion boards installed Fantom G allows 48 internal MIDI channels. Kronos has 9 synth engines and only 16 MIDI channels. More tracks/more MIDI channels to take advantage of these 9 synth engines would definitely be something that would excite Kronos owners.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that Jahrome...

I've longed for a workstation with a sequencer like the Fantom G,(what would be the icing on the cake if its screen had touchview)always had to use Standalone devices like MPC or MV,If only Korg would look at and rival the Competition...its the one aspect I detest about Korg workstations nowadays the sequencer has become prehistoric and hasn't evolved with the sound quality or engine count certainly doesn't do the Oasys or Kronos workstation label justice.

I'm using the best of both worlds running an Oasys(in conjunction with other gear too) from the Fantom G that I recently purchased,it sequences in the way I like to work best plus its master midi control options are awesome too,far less fussy than the Oasys or Kronos methods,for me the G sequencer should be setting the standards to all the other big name players in workstation hardware...the Oasys/Kronos engines bolted together with a sequencer along the lines of the Fantom G in one hardware machine would be heaven!

One neat thing that I take my hat off to Roland for on the Fantom which I currently had to use a tablet for or paper in the past,was allowing the importing of .txt files into the favourites slots so I can now import my song notes and lyrics and any other text files created on the laptop for songs sets and have them onscreen for live sets this is a very useful and innovative solution that all Workstations should have.... Wink
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
apex wrote:
jahrome wrote:
apex wrote:

The Fantom G gives me more MIDI channels, but honestly, I don't use the sequencer with external sound modules. With two expansion boards installed Fantom G allows 48 internal MIDI channels. Kronos has 9 synth engines and only 16 MIDI channels. More tracks/more MIDI channels to take advantage of these 9 synth engines would definitely be something that would excite Kronos owners.

but you've now got a reason to use the external sequencer tracks in the Fantom G. now you can incorporate the best of both.

YouTube -

Facebook -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: