Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tone Adjust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Tone Adjust Reply with quote

So what I want to do is:
Have a combi in set list mode, and be able to transpose it without making a new combi...

any clues?

thank you!

I cant seem to get this to work....

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Adjust Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
So what I want to do is:
Have a combi in set list mode, and be able to transpose it without making a new combi...

any clues?

thank you!

I cant seem to get this to work....

AFAIK, this is not going to work. The Set List only refers to a particular program, combi, or song. You can't edit it into some new configuration in the Set List. The Set List is for organizing sounds for live Performance.

So, if you want a transposed version of a Combi in the Set List, you're going to have to store the Combi into another location and transpose it there, and then put that location into the Set List.

It's not like you don't have at least 10 empty banks of Combis to work with. Wink

Furthermore, Tone Adjust is not the place to be looking to do this, if all you want to do is transpose various timbres. Go to the Timbre Parameters > Pitch page; there's a transpose value for each timbre.

Transposing the oscillators with Tone Adjust is not exactly the same thing as transposing the whole program inside the timbre. If you transpose oscillators, you are not necessarily transposing other things like filter key-tracking and other key-tracking parameters in the program, so it could actually change the response and performance of the program across the range of keys; whereas, transposing the whole program within the timbre makes it sound exactly the same, just in the new octave or however much you transpose it by - it transposes everything. Hope that helps.

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps greatly! I giess that answer works for me.

One last one... What if I assign sw2 to octave down. Can that be saved in setlist mode?

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
It helps greatly! I giess that answer works for me.

One last one... What if I assign sw2 to octave down. Can that be saved in setlist mode?

No...see Stephen's post again:

StephenKay wrote:
AFAIK, this is not going to work. The Set List only refers to a particular program, combi, or song. You can't edit it into some new configuration in the Set List. The Set List is for organizing sounds for live Performance.

jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Combi that gets pointed to in the Set List. So, edit the Combi to make the switch do what you want, and that's how it will work when you call it up in the Set List.

sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that is one feature i really liked on other mfgr keyboards, is the separate "Transpose" button
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
You know that is one feature i really liked on other mfgr keyboards, is the separate "Transpose" button

I agree - it's a handy thing to have right in front of you. I'm sure I'll adjust soon enough, but that's something that I miss at the moment.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Transpose button on the panel is typically found on arranger keyboards and digital pianos, including all of Korg's. It's not typically found on synthesizers and workstations.

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg:: wrote:
A Transpose button on the panel is typically found on arranger keyboards and digital pianos, including all of Korg's. It's not typically found on synthesizers and workstations.

Oh really? Check that fact again. My Kurzweil has them, and has had them 20 years ago. It's not an arranger nor a digital piano. And it's not the only synthesizer/workstation that has it. Motif has octave up/down buttons, even though Transpose is still buried in menus (idiotic). Fantom allows you to assign buttons to Transpose, but I'm not sure if it's global or per-program.

There have been synths throughout the history that had dedicated transpose buttons.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motif XS and XF have Octave up/down buttons right on the front panel, and they work better than Korg's do even when you assign them to SW1/SW2. You can press them more than once and go up or down 1, 2 or 3 octaves. And they are there all the time. Korg's you have to assign in each program or combi, and even then, they only go up or down 1 octave. In this case I have to agree that the Motif's are more useful - and, they still have SW1/SW2 assignable switches for other things.

BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fantom G has them too. They transpose both semitones and octaves.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
The Motif XS and XF have Octave up/down buttons right on the front panel, and they work better than Korg's do even when you assign them to SW1/SW2. You can press them more than once and go up or down 1, 2 or 3 octaves. And they are there all the time. Korg's you have to assign in each program or combi, and even then, they only go up or down 1 octave. In this case I have to agree that the Motif's are more useful - and, they still have SW1/SW2 assignable switches for other things.

At least Korg got it right on the MicroKorg!

Come to think of it MS-2000 could be a fun additional emulation for the Kronos...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: