Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Kronos help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plisken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Need Kronos help! Reply with quote

Their are a few things that I cant seem to figure out coming from roland synths.

Anyone if its possible to do the equivalent to rolands "structure" system. Where they allow to route the entire signal path starting from the OSC to the amp. I want to chain the Filters of Both OSC 1 and 2 together. also I want to have the amp of OSC to go before its filter not after.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do that on a Korg, except perhaps in MOD-7. Dan can explain in more detail.

You can do what you want on a Kurzweil, though. Very Happy
plisken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
You can't do that on a Korg, except perhaps in MOD-7. Dan can explain in more detail.

You can do what you want on a Kurzweil, though. Very Happy

Yeah I was able to do it on my PC3, though its was REALLY complicated and and time consuming to do exactly what I wanted.

hmm damn it! was hoping there was a way =( ill check out MOD-7 I guess

Thanks for the quick reply man! now that I think about it, I think iv seen you around on the Sonik Matter forums and "Mastering VAST" forums. Its nice to see you here as well Very Happy
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's me. Laughing

I love my Kurzweil. But I also love my Korg X5D, too, even though it's dauntingly limiting in comparison. It's the first synthesizer I mastered. Smile
qfingers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really needed because the filters on roland products are 12dB/oct and you can set the filters on the Kronos to 24dB/oct each and run them in parallel. It will give the exact same effect. As the volume envelope for each oscillator adjusts all frequencies equally and the filters phases (if they are programmed exactly the same) will be equal. Therefore, there is really no need to do this type of setup.

q
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Kronos help! Reply with quote

plisken wrote:
I want to chain the Filters of Both OSC 1 and 2 together. also I want to have the amp of OSC to go before its filter not after.

You can run the audio of one synth into another synth(or many synths), in Combi mode. The signals can run hot, but if you are trying to filter some amp distortion (like a Virus), EXi audio input is one way.

I made this short video example where I turn off the MS-20 OSCs and run a piano, wave sequence and drum pattern through the MS-20 filter. I then switch the MS-20 OSCs on. Next, I run them through a MOD-7 program.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Kronos help! Reply with quote

plisken wrote:
also I want to have the amp of OSC to go before its filter not after.

This part does sound a bit strange to me. Why would you want to do that? You always have to end up with an amp stage in the end of the chain... It's only logical.
plisken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Kronos help! Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
plisken wrote:
also I want to have the amp of OSC to go before its filter not after.

This part does sound a bit strange to me. Why would you want to do that? You always have to end up with an amp stage in the end of the chain... It's only logical.

Hmm its probably not that necessary on this keyboard now that I look at it. On Roland Synth you never really had a way of controlling a OSC volume or velocity before it went into the filter. On the Kronos it seems you can, so that part isnt necessary anymore. As for the filters, I know that I can put 24dB/oct filters , thats not exactly the only reason though. Actually each OSC will have pretty different filter settings. I will still trying messing around with the 24dB filters and see if I can work something out.

I know it sounds sort of weird what I want to do but it works perfectly on my JV-1080. Im trying to get all my favorite patches into the Kronos. Even though I wont get rid of it (its also my first synth that I mastered) I still want to try and get everything in my Kronos.
qfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need Kronos help! Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm its probably not that necessary on this keyboard now that I look at it. On Roland Synth you never really had a way of controlling a OSC volume or velocity before it went into the filter. On the Kronos it seems you can, so that part isnt necessary anymore. As for the filters, I know that I can put 24dB/oct filters , thats not exactly the only reason though. Actually each OSC will have pretty different filter settings. I will still trying messing around with the 24dB filters and see if I can work something out.

You can do that in parallel because each oscillator's filter sections can use two filters in series for a total of four different filters. So the same situation I described above will still work, you just need to duplicate the filter type and settings for both oscillators.

What you don't get is the boost sections and ring modulator the roland sythns have. But the AL-1 or one of the other synth engines could possibly give you that.

q
Chriskk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On Roland Synth you never really had a way of controlling a OSC volume or velocity before it went into the filter.

You can change each wave's volume or use a structure where you can put the TVA in front of the filters.
plisken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need Kronos help! Reply with quote

qfingers wrote:
Quote:

You can do that in parallel because each oscillator's filter sections can use two filters in series for a total of four different filters. So the same situation I described above will still work, you just need to duplicate the filter type and settings for both oscillators.

What you don't get is the boost sections and ring modulator the roland sythns have. But the AL-1 or one of the other synth engines could possibly give you that.

q

oh ok ill give it a try and see what I can do. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
On Roland Synth you never really had a way of controlling a OSC volume or velocity before it went into the filter.

You can change each wave's volume or use a structure where you can put the TVA in front of the filters.

Yeah I know thats how I was doing it on my JV-1080. I would use Structure 4 so that OSC 1 would have its TVA before its TVF. Structure 4 is essentially what I am trying to achieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: