Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudess' first DT gig w/ the Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but is JR using Kronos sounds?
or does he use kronos as main controller for his racks?
Subpar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
but is JR using Kronos sounds?
or does he use kronos as main controller for his racks?

The OASYS was the core of his rig. The Vsynth racks are for the contiuum. He uses some racks (Receptor etc,) but the core of his sound was the OASYS.

Now that the Kronos accepts OASYS patches, the core of his sound is Kronos.

Dustin
Aka Subpar
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subpar wrote:
RonF wrote:
dangerousdave wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:

What on earth would he trigger on SampleWiz that he couldn't map to a key on the Kronos and stream it from there?

I've done very little in the way of sampling, and none at all on the Kronos so far, so I don't really know what the Kronos is capable of. I don't know if it can do everything SampleWiz can, but I do know that SampleWiz makes it very easy to do some pretty cool stuff with samples, and the interface is excellent.

Having said that, it's MorphWiz that I love - a surprisingly deep synth, and the closest thing you can get to the Hakem Continuum without spending lots of money.

Exactly. What the KRONOS cannot do is: 5 or more finger real time vector controlling. In fact, Morph/Sample-Wiz exceeds the Haken Continuum in this particular feature set....at a mere tiny fraction of the cost.

and now that you can sample your own sounds, I can create my own Lead sound and control it with Sample wiz with all the contiuum functions.

There's exactly one Continuum function missing - third dimension. Smile On a Continuum you can move left-right, up-down, and PRESS DOWN, too.

You can't press down on an iPad, can you? Smile
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's exactly one Continuum function missing - third dimension.

You are 100% correct...however, on Sample/Morph-wiz they have developed what I will call a "wiggle" parameter, which is essentially the equivalent (sort of) of the pressure on the Continuum. I find it quite impressive and sensitive, that if you wiggle your finger on the iPad, it responds very well to a modulation parameter you can set. Its very expressive in this regard. Not exactly the same thing.....but darn close. I would also say that the smaller size of the iPAD, as compared to the Continuum, in some ways is more functional and playable (yes, I have played a Continuum a few times), in particular when it comes to multi-finger gestures. No doubt the Continuum just LOOKs cooler, though. Especially on its dedicated stand. Eye candy!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Quote:

You are 100% correct...however, on Sample/Morph-wiz they have developed what I will call a "wiggle" parameter, which is essentially the equivalent (sort of) of the pressure on the Continuum. I find it quite impressive and sensitive, that if you wiggle your finger on the iPad, it responds very well to a modulation parameter you can set. Its very expressive in this regard. Not exactly the same thing.....but darn close.

Very interesting!

RonF wrote:
No doubt the Continuum just LOOKs cooler, though. Especially on its dedicated stand. Eye candy!

*_*
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Quote:

You are 100% correct...however, on Sample/Morph-wiz they have developed what I will call a "wiggle" parameter, which is essentially the equivalent (sort of) of the pressure on the Continuum.

There's also the assignable tilt on WorphWiz.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices for the continuum cases are surprisingly affordable. Wink
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
RonF wrote:
Quote:

You are 100% correct...however, on Sample/Morph-wiz they have developed what I will call a "wiggle" parameter, which is essentially the equivalent (sort of) of the pressure on the Continuum. I find it quite impressive and sensitive, that if you wiggle your finger on the iPad, it responds very well to a modulation parameter you can set. Its very expressive in this regard. Not exactly the same thing.....but darn close.

Very interesting!

RonF wrote:
No doubt the Continuum just LOOKs cooler, though. Especially on its dedicated stand. Eye candy!

*_*

Now that's what I'm talking about! Very Happy Very Happy
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Subpar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a continuum, i do. Guess i could have sacrificed the Kronons...LOL

not happening....

I wish Haken would develop more affordable models....$3k for a controller is steep.

In terms of future controllers though, in my opinion, its the iPad. There is no way around it.

Yes there are somethings missing now, but there are others as the other folks have posted (tilt, "wiggle"). But instead I pay 10 bucks for an app. Samplewiz, Morphwiz, and Thumbjam, in my opinion are not even apps. These are real instruments, not toys.

The screens are getting more and more robust. Garage band (I believe) is even velocity sensitive.

The reality is that via software, developers will be able to build controller interfaces that were never ever possible (without massive investment) with touch interfaces like the iPad. It wouldnt surprise me at all to see "pressure" added as a dimension in the future.

These devices are revolutionizing the hardware paradigm. Soon the screens will get bigger, the apps more powerful.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if apple introduce an iMac that runs the iOS thats touch screen.

I for one look at the future and cant wait to see what happens next...

I mentioned this in another thread...but imagine the keyboard manufacturer that builds the keyboard equivalent of iOS, that runs on their hardware....

want a new engine....boom buy the app...
dont like the sequencer, download a different one...
like a certain set of sounds...POW!! there you go.

Where is the Korg App store...its the future. Its great for the devs and the parent companies alike.

Sure the technology is a ways off now, but its certainly feasible.

What holds the future back is companies that only have a few hundred people doing development. The bar moves further when there are 10s of thousands pushing the bar forward.

That is what have made the iDevices advance in leaps and bounds.

Dustin
Aka Subpar
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great post!!!
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: interview Reply with quote

Here is a recent interview where he talks a little about the custom stand, what vst libraries he likes and of course Morphwiz and Samplewiz.

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/interview/feature-interview-jordan-rudess-talks-samplewiz-dream-theater-and-apple-logic

Alesis Andromeda A6, Kronos 88

www.coreymast.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: